Feature Request Megathread - Input Module

I like that idea.

Im not sure where the contacts are and if it is technically possible, but:

On the 16" there are these 2 little spacer left and right from the keyboard. It would be cool to swap them out and instead of them we could attach a controller-like bar. So it would be sth like the controllers on the Nintendo Switch. But not that thick. You would have some buttons and one joystick on each side.

More difficult would be the 2 shoulder-buttons on each side, which you have on modern controllers. Because how would you add them and where (seems a bit difficult to attach them one the “shoulder” of the laptop). But maybe there is a fancy way to do it.

Yeah, I think this idea is way more of a possibility than some of my other ideas. Would probably be pretty easy for them to implement.

I know, that there was someone working to get the great keyboard working via bluetooth/IR, but I can’t find it at the moment.
Was there any progress?

I’ve searched around on here a bit, and it looks like there’s a fair amount of interest in a split ortholinear option (along the lines of the Ergodox or the Corne ). But trying to develop such a thing from scratch for a relatively small market is going to be cost prohibitive.

I propose that instead of building from scratch, it should be possible to just mount 2 macropads in the space where the keyboard would normally be. It seems like this ought to work with some firmware changes and an adapter board that just relocates the connections. Maybe also add a few buttons to the adapter to replicate the thumb clusters.

I figured I’d throw this idea out there for some initial feedback before I sink a bunch of time into trying to make it happen. Does this sound like a plausible idea?

3 Likes

Seems reasonable, especially if there are single key options for those “few thumb buttons” as mentioned here: Input Module Keyboard Switches - #7 by nrp

1 Like

I think it could be cool to be able to remove the keyboard on the framework 16 slot it into an external dock and use the keyboard on another device.

I wouldn’t even know where to start.

3 Likes

I shared that though with a friend yesterday. I do really like typing on the framework keyboards and it will make a great reuse of any keyboard in the future as well.
We could also make differents sizes “easily”, 100%, 65% etc…

I’d like a single touchpad in place of the number pad so I can disable the pad below the keyboard.

Sometimes in a cramped space like an airplane seat, you just don’t have the space to move your arm back that far to use it comfortably. It would also solve issues someone might have if palm detection isn’t working (looking at you Xubuntu).

1 Like

I use a lot of knobs while producing music, mostly on midi controllers. Just thought about how cool it would be to have those same knobs, perhaps smaller or more suited to the Framework laptop, meant to be modular like how the numpad is.
These could also be mapped to different things, like the system volume, brightness, night mode tint, individual app outputs, etc. Could be very cool if there are good haptics too, to give a more rounded and complete feel to the knobs and buttons.

2 Likes

I have had similar thoughts, but the problem seems to be there is no space for knobs in the space available for the keyboard, it is too thin.

2 Likes

Shallow knobs :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s the encoder for the knobs that would be hard to fit. Though I recall running across some very thin encoders, I’ll try to find them again and see if they are thin enough.

3 Likes

hall encoders might be thin enough

1 Like

But I don’t think you could easily use a hall effect encoder with QMK, the firmware other input modules are using. There is no built-in function for hall effect sensors. You’d have to add in a custom function. Whereas a mechanical encoder, you just drop it in and it works. I know Ploppy co has a custom function for optical encoders, but I don’t imagine it would be easy to create one of them which fits.

1 Like

So you guys think it could be possible? If this were really possible it would be really cool to have. It would allow to have the numpad part of the keyboard with knobs and other controllers and use it for live music effects or even to facilitate music and video editing on the go, without the need of carrying an external usb device.

1 Like

There isn’t? Thought there was but anyway, custom module doesn’t sound like an unassailable obstacle in case there aren’t any mechanical encoders that low profile.

Depends on what people would want, what they would pay for such a module, and how many people would buy one. Like what kind of dial resolution people want or need. Could maybe fit a 15 position-per-rotation dial. Two of them and a couple of buttons perhaps.

Max input module height was said to be 3.7mm so that makes selection of components harder. The very limited height will likely also require more expensive extra thin PCBs, also makes designing and building it harder. It wouldn’t be cheap.

That sounds cool, I know it may be a bit of a difficulty on the hardware side but we’ve seen framework do unimaginable stuff before. The compactness of it all might be a problem though yeah.

Disclaimer: I have zero technical/engineering background, so I apologize in advance if this idea is ridiculous.

I know that there’s a prototype e-ink display module that’s the same size as the numpads, but I am wondering if it’s possible to make a regular display into a keyboard-sized module.

It doesn’t need to have touch input or anything. But I think for those of use who will frequently “dock” and the laptop to a larger screen + keyboard and mouse, it’ll be great to use the space that’s taken up by the keyboard for something else. Nobody needs two sets of keyboards! (Or mouse for that matter, but I digress)

I’d find it quite useful especially since the input modules are hot swappable. Imagine putting the laptop on the stand when you get home, popping off the keyboard and popping on the display so there’s a 3rd screen that can be used for sticky notes and or to-do list windows.

Alternatively, even a keyboard sized spacer module would be nice. At the very least we could either cover the spacer with whiteboard sticker and have a dry erase board, or just place a mini external monitor on top of it.

The idea of having the keyboard just hogging real estate on a hotswappable module when docked really feels like wasted potential…

1 Like

The limiting factor is the interface. The pogo pin connections are only USB 2.0, so it would be extremely difficult to run any large display at framerates greater than 1Hz

1 Like