FedEx woes and bumps in the road

I usually have pretty good luck with FedEx, but them delivering my Framework made my heart skip a beat or two. It was originally supposed to show up tomorrow but showed up yesterday which was a nice surprise. The only downside is the FedEx ground guy just yeeted it onto my doorstep which was only a step or two more than he took already. I’m glad that Framework packages the laptops well. I would have died a little inside if it showed up busted after waiting all that time.

1 Like

I ask this because I’m currently in an unresolved dispute with Google and FedEx over a lost/stolen package (I have the carrier receipt, FedEx didn’t update internal tracking, and Google refuses to refund or mediate without that), but what happens when Framework grows to the scale that higher ups can’t directly engage on everyone’s behalf?

These policies are best clarified sooner than later, and if we can’t get consist, reliable support when receiving and returning orders (meaning no “Reddit Requests” or only getting helped on social media), it’s not going to be worth the risk to buy anything outside of a retail location.

It’s hard competing with established companies with brick and mortar locations, but it’s important not to just pocket what’s saved in the margins. Good customer support is foundational, not just a legal tick box.

This seems pretty well etched into Framework’s company ethos already. These FedEx debacles don’t seem to be an exception to that.

So was Project Fi’s, but that canary died in the mines when they became “Google Fi” and moved their customer support from Las Vegas and El Salvador to India.

It’s always fun when things are being built and engineers are running the show, but it seems all that scales eventually goes corporate. Amazon is an outlier in support by design (and they also use UPS and USPS), but it’s not the most forgivable model at small sizes.

"Well there you go again"

I have 2 shipments coming from the Marketplace. Of course we are still Stuck with it being via FedSlow.

• Both orders were placed Oct 12 within minutes of each other.
  • Both orders were picked up and “Arrived at FedEx location
    KEASBEY, NJ” Oct 14th
  • Both orders were immediately marked as “In Transit” scheduled for delivery Oct 21
  • Seconds later with a screen refresh… they marked both as “Potentially Delayed”

What a flaming pile of B.S. the FedEx system is.

As a Business, I cannot rely on them at all. But I can always count on inaccurate data, no real delivery commitments, damaged shipments, and empty promises from them. So they are my last resort for shipping to my clients.

I use USPS, UPS and OnTrac and can depend on them.

SO I was driving into work this morning and realized there’s a FedEx distribution center next to it. I’m wondering if I had the laptop shipped there and just picked it up I would get it quicker/in a more reliable timeframe

Couldn’t agree more. Just checked on a RAM delivery that was supposed to show up today (Jan 26). FedEx tracking claims nobody home. News to me. Nobody rang my bell, nobody left a notice. Checked my phone and NO SMS. Checked FedEx and they say they’ll try again. They didn’t try the first time. Sloppy and incompetent.

There is a reason why in my business I only use UPS. Framework should actually pay attention to this thread.

It is quite simple. FedEx has not lived up to expectations. Personally I’ve had 2 instances where delivery was not made properly. Once they left my laptop on the front stoop outside my building. Second time they said nobody was home, didn’t leave a sticky or SMS me. Have to waste a second day tomorrow to see when (or if ) they get around to delivery or say I’m not around (once again).

We should have choices. FedEx OR USPS OR UPS. Just sayin’

NIcholas

I’m in Australia where fedex and UPS are rare. Out of the few times I’ve gotten delivery’s from them UPS tends to be nicer only had 1 late deliveries and 3 late FedEx deliveries. Would much prefer UPS.

Exactly. Yesterday, the 26th, they claimed nobody was home. (news to me). Now the second day and they say they will deliver before 8:00pm. TWO days to sit around waiting. And I have to run down to find out if they managed to put the package in the building, instead of on the stoop, which they’ve done in the past. Contrast this to UPS, where I can actually see a map of where the delivery truck is in my neighborhood and watch its progress. I’ve intercepted one of those trucks on an adjoining block to get something slightly earlier. GPS, FedEx Are you listening?

Nick

PS… they (FedEx) delivered this morning. Second day. Had a big red sticker that said priority on it. Suspect that was put on overnight after I complained up the ladder at FedEx late yesterday.

Just when I had forgotten about how rotten FedEx was: Order date March 16, 2022, a USB-A module never showed up. Today is April 4, 2022.

I’ve been out of town once again, so left hoping FedEx would deliver (a neighbor checked for me). NEVER showed up. Vanished into the FedEx void. This makes 3 times Framework deliveries using FedEx messed up. You would think management would change to another vendor, no?

The issue with changing delivery partners is that this is controlled by the fulfilment partner not framework.

And whose fault is that? Frameworks for not ensuring good service from their partners.

Seems variable based on where people live. We use FedEx at work too and there’s a lot of employees complaining, but my last two addresses, UPS is worse. And OnTrac seems to be bad wherever you are.

Apparently Amazon has this neat way to ensure high value deliveries are accepted in person - they give the recipient a PIN and if that is not entered, that means the delivery is not made.

Well, shipment via FedEx never got here. Explanation from FedEx, shipment failed because of “closure” here. Nuts… closure means the building was closed down, no? Well this is an 8 unit residential building with deliveries all the time here in Brooklyn. Delivery people ring all the bells, all the time. To repeat, this is not a government or business address, this is an 8 unit residential building in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

As I never got a notice from FedEx of any kind,I would be curious to know exactly what date they claimed to have tried to make delivery. Closure? Please.

@Nicholas_C_DeBord I’ve seen other people who had trouble with FedEx deliveries request that their computer be held at the local FedEx depot to be picked up in person. This may be an option for you since it seems your driver is struggling with the concept of residential buildings.

Azure,

Yes, an option I did not exercise. My bad. Now on to this particular shipment which was a module for the Framework. It showed up today (second try, as I said before when it went back to shipper). One HUGE difference in the shipping. The shipping label said HOME. So one could assume that this made a difference in how FedEx handled it. Closure, their excuse on the prior attempt implies IMO that they treated my residential address as a business. Funny if it didn’t piss me off so much. Mea Culpa. After 3 bad experiences with FedEx via Framework, I am at a razor’s edge of tolerance. Good to know that this time out they did it right. A pleasant change.

Nick

1 Like

@Nicholas_C_DeBord Glad you got your delivery! Here’s hoping that FedEx takes this as an opportunity to improve their service! (Likely not, but we can hope!)

Yes, glad this time around, it worked the way it is supposed to. Will see down the road.

Tks

Nick

1 Like

Hi,

I’m eagerly awaiting my 12th gen. Framework Laptop. It has been shipped via FedEx and should arrive Wednesday. I was happy that tracking showed the package already in my country at noon today. However, this evening it’s in a neighboring country. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks.