FedEx woes and bumps in the road

FedEx is screwing around again.

I signed up yesterday Aug 31st for their status updates on my delivery as soon as I got the tracking number…

It took till today at 11:08am Sept 1st to get the SMS message asking me to confirm that I wanted status updates. Any IT professional knows that is not a real time process for them. They must be batch processing still. Is this the 90’s?

AND they now say that the package left their hub and is in transit… To be delivered by the end of the day on the 7th… For their “2 day” delivery service. Do the math… That’s 4 business days.

What the heck is going on with them… And why do companies still put up with this. Literally every delivery I am forced to get via FedEx is screwed up, LATE and often damaged… After sitting in one spot in their system for days.

Framework might be stuck with them because they are used by the contractor who is doing the warehousing, but I hope they look at another service at least for in the US and Canada in the future. Anyone Paying for 2 day and getting 4+ day delivery is not a good thing.

I’m pissed off, not at Framework, but getting screwed over again by FedEx bad service.

UPS has been working hard to build up their system and hubs… While FedEx is deteriorating rapidly.

@nrp

9 Likes

Maybe it’s only 3 business days? Monday is after all a holiday in some places :stuck_out_tongue:

Just messing with ya @ImaxinarDM, I agree with the downfall of FedEx. We get daily shipments here from ALL delivery companies (We are also a warehouse) and FedEx seems to be the only one with incorrect delivery dates and sometimes damaged boxes.

1 Like

@DannyT

Well the (not) fun bit is they have the weekend for transit tines, but once they actually get to the area, they will let the shipment sit and rot…

We just had a very VERY expensive small wood crate (I can carry it in one hand) of aircraft communications parts sit for almost a week in the final hub here… No explanation at all, and on final delivery a week late, the crate was cracked open, heavy damage to all sides, We had him wait for us to open it fully and inventory it as parts were falling out. Thankfully they were all there. G-force sensors in the crate were all triggered, but one was missing.

Driver apologized for the mess and he was obviously upset to have to be delivering it.

I think the FedEx corporate top end doesn’t care about anything other than the bottom line.

3 Likes

Oh, a thread to vent about FedEx. Nice.

My package sat in Illinois for 4 days (moving, but so slow), which was odd. It also left my city and returned later, though I understand it might’ve been headed to a hub. At this rate, it’ll arrive 3 days past the estimated date, sitting in my city for all 3 days. I truly wonder why FedEx’s ETA calculation system is so inaccurate.

2 Likes

@Jacob_Padgett
Yep, Framework needs to know about this stuff and folks need a place to vent.

I too have had a package go from a city twice.

My latest was Tacoma (south of Seattle) to NJ, on to Texas, back to NJ, over to Nevada, and finally back to Tacoma. I live 90 miles north of Seattle… So the package was beat to pieces by the time I got it.

4 Likes

I once got a keyboard from Kentucky, and shipped it to Ontario; FedEx they sent it to Ontario in one day(to a place that was about 10mi from the destination), then back south all the way the Missouri, then back up into Ontario where it waited again just 10mi from the destination for a week.

By the time it made it to the destination, all of the keycaps had been left removed and were flying around the box (they would have to have been removed, they would never come loose even under extreme vibration) and the cardboard strapping that was suspending the keyboard in the box had been cut and ripped, so it couldn’t do its job.

2 Likes

Eh,

I think you just have a bad experience with Fedex. In my area it’s USPS that sucks bad. I’m sure in other area’s it’s UPS that stinks.

We’ve been spoiled with quicker and quicker deliveries, to the point where our expectations for a reasonable delivery time no longer allow for unforeseen circumstances.

tldr, patience is a virtue we should strive to possess.

I do it too though. I ordered an Xbox a few months ago. Fedex showed it on the truck for delivery by 430pm. Come 3pm no delivery. check tracking again and it’s back in the warehouse waiting to be delivered. I got irritated Drive to the warehouse to pick it up, get there only to find out it’s back out for delivery and was delivered at like 415pm. Turns out the driver had something come up and had to give his packages to another driver to finish.

1 Like

I’m with you, @DAE - we live in the SF Bay Area - And two of our major distribution routes essentially wrap around one end or the other of Lake Tahoe (Hyws 4 & 80), over the Sierra Nevadas to Reno.

Because of the fires, these routes are opening and closing repeatedly, causing mayhem w/distribution. Not to mention real danger to the lives of those whose job it is to drive.

All during the pandemic. Yea, I can’t get too worked up about any of these outfits.

I will say, the pinnacle of Kafkaesque shipping experiences was the decision to use international post for a move. But I digress…

[Edited to put a wee bit more geographical context]

1 Like

So… My laptop has been in Bellingham WA for 2 days and not showing out for delivery.

Route:
NJ > Seattle > Bellingham (3 timestamps in Bellingham so far)

I literally can drive to where it is in under 30 minutes including the ferry trip.

1:25pm update, Yep… FedEx truck just drove past the house and no delivery.

2nd update 2:18pm totally different FedEx van just passed the house… Gee 2 trucks in one day to the island and they can’t deliver a box sitting in Bellingham since yesterday.

1 Like

Try 31 shipments via FedEx in 18 months… ONE arrived on time, box intact. Everything else was late… Most with box damage. And it’s not the shipper… 5 different vendors all across the US.

Not an isolated case, weather, smoke, etc. A clear pattern. Hence my always selecting anything other than FedEx if possible.

2 Likes

Framework laptop arrived… FedEx Packing label Aug 31st NJ, delivery Sept 4th Lummi Island via FedEx “2nd day”. It’s the box on top.

For reference, the 4 big Heavy boxes of 8 speakers: Packing labels Aug 31st TX, delivery Sept 2nd Lummi Island … via UPS 2nd day

1 Like

Adding my two cents to why Framework should try their best to ditch FedEx: Their “2-day shipping” is locked out of weekend delivery for god knows what reason, with no way to change it in delivery instructions. You can’t even go pick it up at location. So, my laptop has been sitting in a warehouse since Friday afternoon, already processed, until god knows when on Wednesday. Why do I have to wait 5 freaking days to get my package when it is already less then 2 miles from me???

5 Likes

Even though I started the thread, In all fairness, many companies use a distribution company to manage the logistics of their products.

These distributors have massive contracts with shipping companies, and make deals to get the best prices. This often will lock in a particular shipping company.

In this case from what I see Framework uses Tech Data [now TD SYNNEX] at the TD NJ distribution center to do that. And they handle the shipping… With their vendors of choice. So we are stuck with Tech Data / FedEx for now evidently.

A company like Framework needs to know about bad experiences though, because they do reflect on them even if the shipping vendor is out of their control.

6 Likes

Surprising no one, my laptop is delayed (it says just by one day but there is a storm coming so who knows)

I wish Framework would allow me to redirect the shipment to a FexEx location… Now I am stuck at home waiting for the shipment and no idea when or if it will show up today because FedEx sucks in our area.

1 Like

FedEx is completely ridiculous. At first they said it would be here yesterday, then bumped it to today, then back to yesterday. Last night they claimed all through the night until after 11pm that it would be delivered yesterday, and now they apparently have no clue when it will be delivered, with a helpful message on tracking that simply says “No scheduled delivery date available at this time.” At exactly the same time today and yesterday, it was marked as in transit from the same facility in Kentucky. The only explanation I can think of for this is that they somehow lost my package between now and yesterday afternoon.

Free shipping with FedEx isn’t free. You pay in late deliveries, damaged goods, and support responses designed to keep you in the dark until hopefully it manages to reach your door sometimes over a week late. I would much rather have the option to pay for UPS, or even USPS, to deliver it.

2 Likes

It’s a bit strange if that is the case why my scheduled delivery date is set for tomorrow. Though with all of the other stories here, I won’t be surprised if it gets to me some time during next week. Kinda spooked that it left a FedEx location almost 36 hours ago with no other updates according to the tracking details.

Weekend delivery is often not good for business addresses, and unless things have changed, costs more. They are not the only ones that have it like that.

Been there, done that. I had a similar thing going on with mine. thank heavens it showed up in one piece without getting swiped. What I don’t get is why Fedex even allows these restrictions to be imposed on you, and why Framework chose to impose them given how much people want to get their laptops in one piece. Kinda dropped the ball there guys.

FedEx has been dropping the ball in our area so much so that the local news outlets have done stories on them letting peoples’ medication prescriptions sit in the facility for a long time, even letting insulin that is on ice in a cooler sit long enough that the ice melted and the person’s pharmacist suggested they throw it away.

My Framework laptop has been sitting there since 9/12 with no meaningful tracking updates, and then went out for delivery yesterday only to not be delivered. It’s back out for delivery today but I’ll believe it when I see it.

Of course it had to happen with a laptop and not some random Amazon package I’m not as excited to receive…

2 Likes