Fedora 40 on the Framework Laptop 16

Fedora Workstation 40 is released! You can download Fedora Workstation 40 here .

Official Fedora 40 release announcement can be found here .

Installation Guide: Fedora 40 Installation on the Framework Laptop 16 - Framework Guides

VAAPI profiles: If you want VAAPI profiles exposed then you need to enable rpmfusion and run the steps listed here:

https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/Multimedia

To expose the various capabilities via vaapi for encode/decode - fedora strips patent encumbered bits from mesa by default. IME people forget to run the dnf swap bits after adding rpmfusion .

You can check what is exposed by installing libva-utils and running vainfo.

The xz vulnerability was fixed a while ago. BUT… There are some zero-day security vulnerabilities on other packages. It happens! They are already fixed in our package repos, but the fixes are not on the install images. Make sure to promptly upgrade after a fresh F40 install.

3 Likes

Thread open again now that Fedora 40 is released.

1 Like

Awesome, I will update later today. I was just checking to see if it’s officially supported.

The first link shows download Fedora Workstation 39 here, which I assume is due to a copy-paste from a previous post and should be 40?

Ah, fixed. Thanks!

I’m not sure if I can ask this question here, or should open a new thread.
I installed first Debian 12 on this FW16. This went very well, and I did not notice very much fan noise. Today I installed Fedora 40, and notice that the fan is lots noisier then under Debian 12 and Windows 11.
PPD (power-profiles-daemon) is installed and kernel running 6.8.8.
I tried profile balanced and powersaving. No difference.

How do I silence this FW16 and keep Fedora?

Edit:
I removed power-profiles-daemon and then reinstalled it, and now the fw16 is a lot more quiet!