Fifth update on Framework Laptop 16 Shipment Timing

Nah my desktop is staying put. This laptop will be my experimental platform. going to keep cycling through linux distros getting to know them on the laptop.

4 Likes

Iā€™m going to guess that weā€™ll have better time estimates for later batches once Batch 1 goes out, but do we have even the vaguest idea of how long till we hit later batches? 1 month per batch? 2 Weeks?

(I ask since Iā€™m in Batch 5 and man I canā€™t wait)

4 Likes

Final stretchā€¦ hoping for my batch 3 to arrive in February some time.

based on the AMD framework 13 1 to 2 weeks. per batch

7 Likes

Thanks

Looking forward to receiving mine to test usage across the 7 divisions at my company. With users ranging basic accounting and sales users to drafters and engineers, having the ability to order a base unit and then customize it for the users in house as the need changes is very tempting. And the ability to adjust ports on the fly would be great as well. I hope that a battery expansion is released as well as that is one thing the people in sales are always complaining about. I also think the developers will enjoy the 2.5gbe capability and easy storage expansion that we donā€™t currently have with our Lenovo, Dell and HP laptops. The thought of getting a large number of the 250GB expansion modules and setting them up as a stand alone and isolated development environment they can swap in and boot to is very tempting as well.

9 Likes

Is anyone else not receiving some of these emails? I pre-ordered a FW16 in batch 1 and never received the first, second, fourth, or fifth updates or my Starfield code email (support was able to help me). I did receive the third update email but Iā€™ve been checking my junk mail and none of the others are showing up. I donā€™t want to miss the email when it ships!

Me tooā€¦ my 5950X and 3090ti build will be retired as my main rig for a framework!

2 Likes

If you recieved only one of the updates, thatā€˜s weird, but i thought I had a similar issue, until i realized i had setup a filter for any newsletterā€¦
But you have to subscribe to their newsletter on their website to get the updates, just ordering something (thankfully) doesnā€™t do that automatically

1 Like

You have no idea how that relates to mine i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz with builtin GPU ā€¦
It will go to my Server Rack - and be one of the new Kubernetes nodes. That place, where GPUā€™s donā€™t matter!

2 Likes

Just spent all of last night moving misc open-air PCā€™s into their chassis for rack mounting. Recently scored a solid steel 20U cabinet for free from work.

1 Like

Actually, the AMD FW 13 was trending toward 6 days between batches.

https://www.reddit.com/r/framework/comments/180xs9z/framework_13_amd_batch_processing_holding_steady/

There was a large gap between batch 1 and 2, but that closed for the subsequent ones. If that holds for FW 16, it should take roughly 90-100 days to get through the 15 batches currently sold out.

3 Likes

Oh, great info on the latest AMD FW 13 batch shipping. With some luck(!) that means Iā€™ll be getting mine perhaps late April, which would be awesome. Hoping for sooner, weā€™ll see.

So assuming they start shipping on Jan 31 and we go with the 100 days, thatā€™d be May 10th. Iā€™d be okay with getting mine by mid-May!

Getting that email update was pretty exciting! The anticipation for them to start shipping is building up (Iā€™m in batch 4, btw)

2 Likes

doh as was pointed out in another thread, Chinese New Year is February 10th to February 25th, so the couple days before probably not too much happening/getting shipped, so thatā€™s a couple of weeks after maybe Batch 1 getting done being manufactured, and maybe some having been shipped out.

So Iā€™m not going to expect to have any significant shipments, barring some of Batch 1 maybe, before beginning of March.

3 Likes

Iā€™m batch 8. March feels so far away :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

I put in my preorder deposit for a 16 Overkill yesterday. What Batch does that put me in?

1 Like

Batch 16 for the framework 16

1 Like

I know, its now 14 years by my memory, itā€™s my wifes cast off. This time Iā€™m having a new one with performance i want.

But I have to wait until batch 12 :sob:

I suspect once she sees it sheā€™ll want one as well.

1 Like