Fingerprint reader not enabled on Ub 22.04.2 LTS

I cannot get my fingerprint reader working in U 22.04.2, using the instructions at Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Installation on the Framework Laptop 13 - Framework Guides
#7 Manually Completing Setup - 11th Gen Only
I was able to make it read when running Fedora, so I am a bit familiar with the process, but I have missed something.
What have I missed?

Host: Laptop AB
BIOS: INSYDE Corp. 3.17 (10/27/2022)
DE: GNOME 42.5 (wayland)
Kernel: Linux 5.19.0-38-generic
Shell: bash 5.1.16
WM: Mutter
CPU: 11th Gen Intel i7-1165G7 (8) @ 4.7GHz
GPU: Intel TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics]
GPU Driver: i915
Memory: 3.02 GiB / 15.41 GiB (19%)
Disk (/): 9.8G / 228G (5%)
Network: Wifi
Bluetooth: Intel Corp. AX210

what problem are you facing? :slight_smile: besides “it doesn’t work”

The solution, to my embarrassment, to getting the fingerprint reader working after setting up with the FW instructions is to go to Ubuntu Settings>Users>Fingerprint Login and register and enable some fingerprints.

I assume that means you had successfully registered fingerprint(s) under Fedora, and that now you have it again working (registered FPs) under Ubuntu?

Is fingerprint login/sudo now working as expected? I’m asking because, from what I remember and have seen described in the forum, there are issues that crop up when using the FP reader from more than one OS:

• Unable to delete previously used FP entries, at least from Linux
  • Presence of entries registered under one OS preventing registration (or successful use) of entries registered subsequently on another OS

Yes, I have successfully registered and enabled fingerprints in Ubuntu. The login is now working correctly, but only after fiddling with Passwords and Keys. Under P&K I had to change the PW to null, that is, right-click on Login, Change PW, enter the current (old) PW, then when given the opportunity to enter a new pw cancel the operation.
I have no experience with running dual OS and the FP reader.

if you want some advice, once you get it to work, never touch it again. someone packaged a way to clean up the fingerprint cache in case something goes wrong, which you might have to do (i had to) in case you want to reconfigure the fingerprint reader.

1 Like