Fingerprint Reader not working when waking from sleep

I’m not sure if this is a hardware or OS issue. I am using Windows 11. I notice that sometimes after I wake the PC and on the lockscreen, the fingerprint reader doesn’t register. Does anyone else get this issue?

1 Like

Hi @john_doe,

I would recommend submitting a ticket to our support team here: Framework | Support so they can ensure your laptop is performing as intended!

Thank you and have a great day!

1 Like

I have also encountered the fingerprint reader driver sometimes crashing during sleep on Windows 11. The workaround I found was to disable and re-enable the driver in Device Manager.

The event viewer shows errors including:
“The device Framework Fingerprint Reader (location Port_#0009.Hub_#0002) is offline due to a user-mode driver crash. Windows will attempt to restart the device 5 more times. Please contact the device manufacturer for more information about this problem.”

I shall submit a support ticket.

1 Like

Same problem here. General tab in the device manager states: “Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)”

Disabling/Enabling temporarily brings it back.

I have exactly the same problem. Thus far, Framework support has been unhelpful.

I’m not sure if it’s related or not, but sometimes when I resume my machine, I notice it has done a clean boot. Searching the Event Log, it seems that I’ve had an unclean shutdown but no information, such as a bugcheck code, is present. Failures such as this tend to be driver problems. I suspect these two issues are related and it’s my fingerprint driver that is causing the failure. Are any of you seeing similar behavior?

Thanks!

1 Like

I have this issue too and I think it’s related to when the storage drive sleeps. While I have it set to never, I’ll have issues waking from sleep. Support had me change the value to 1560 (26 hours) on Sunday and yesterday I didn’t experience the issue. Hoping that’s a bug that can get patched.

I do have the fingerprint reader stop working when waking from sleep occasionally though and haven’t engaged support for that yet.

I get the same issue with error code 43. I can also temporarily make it work by disabling and re-enabling the setting in the device manager. I’m going to submit a support ticket.

Here’s how I made the fingerprint reader work forever: Fingerprint Device Dies on Windows 11

1 Like

Any update on this issue? While the fix above works, it’s a bit of a hack around what appears to be a driver issue. I would assume that an updated driver be available to fix the problem.

On a side note, I seem to have found out the cause of my unclean shutdown. It appears to be the HDMI card. Whenever that is present in the system, I get an unclean shutdown once out of every 3 times my machine sleeps. Without the card I’ve had no issue. I’m waiting on a replacement card from Framework to determine if it was an issue with my hardware or a problem with all of the HDMI cards.

Any news on this?
Did the new HDMI card fix it?

Still having the same issue as everyone described above but also using a Gen 1 HDMI card.