Framework 13 AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U with 61Wh battery battery life

HI I have the framework 13 AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U has anyone tried this configuration with the 61Wh battery? If so did it improve the battery life?

I’ve thought about trying this configuration, but the improvement to battery life would be negligible, in my opinion. The increase would only be about ten percent from the default configuration. If you got 7 hours on your laptop with the 55WH battery, you’d only receive about 42 minutes more to your battery life. I may switch to the 61WH battery when my 55WH battery is showing a noticeable decrease in capacity. Until then, I’ll likely stick with what I’ve got.

4 Likes

Thanks I’m with you I think I’ll wait until I need a new battery also. I was just wondering if anyone had tried it. I would still like to hear if anyone does it.

Also to answer the question about my configuation:

DIY AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U (up to 4.9GHz, 6-core/12-thread)
Battery - 55Wh
Crucial 32GB (2 x 16GB) 262-Pin DDR5 SO-DIMM DDR5 5600 Laptop Memory Model CT2K16G56C46S5
HP FX900 Pro 4TB NVMe Gen 4 Gaming SSD - PCIe 4.0, 16 Gb/s, M.2 2280, 3D TLC NAND Internal Solid State Hard Drive with DRAM Cache Up to 7400 MB/s - 4A3U2AA#ABB

Keyboard: US English
Laptop Bezel: Framework Laptop 13 Bezel - Red

Expansion Cards:

1-MicroSD,  1-HDMI (3rd Gen),  1-USB-A,  3-USB-C

My FW Ryzen 7 7840U had a 61Wh battery and my drain on light use is 4-6 W, resulting in a battery life of 8 to 10 hours. Heavier day2day use is 6-8 hours of battery life.
I use auto-cpufreq and 30% brightness.

I have this config and I went from 4 hours and 52 minutes of estimated 4K video non stop on Windows 11 to about 6 hours and 24 minutes.

I also checked battery life not doing intensive things like just a browser and Word during d&d and I won like 3 hours. 5.5 hours to 8 and something.

What do you wanna know?

1 Like

My battery is honestly not that bad, although it seemed more efficient on the ubuntu .1015 kernel than the .1016.

On the first few days I used to get about -3% for a 20min video and able to watch like many hours of video with only 8gb ram on the older kernel.

After I got 2x16gb ram and having a faster 65w charger, it costs me about -5-6% on the same video with the same settings on the newer kernel.

I might upgrade before the winter to the 61w, but getting it in the summer would be a waste to the good weather. Also adjusting output of battery for your specific use-case might be way more helpful than just increasing to 61w IMO.