Framework Laptop 16 Ryzen 7040 BIOS 3.03 Release and Driver Bundle

Hey Guys,

I am trying since weeks to update my Laptop BIOS, tried everything, first the native Ubuntu commands, but always when i restart it just goes back into my login instead of running the update BIOS

When I select in the Boot Menu the “Update Firmeware” it says “nothing to update”

I run ubuntu 22.04 with a dualboot on windows, so maybe my grub is stopping the updates?

fwupdmgr get-updates
fwupdmgr enable-remote lvfs-testing
fwupdmgr get-updates
fwupdmgr download
fwupdmgr update
shutdown now -r -t 0

Tried this aswell and it downloads the latest version, but on the restart it doesnt do much :confused:

You checked which version you have on your system?

fwupdmgr get-devices

Eventually you don’t need it.

It says i am 2 versions behind, and i got lately some issues with connecting my laptop to external monitors since the new ubuntu kernel, so hopefully that fixes something.

Had 100% battery and it did the restart and everything, but yeah it just doesn’t do the update :confused:

Just making sure you have the power adapter connected ? :slight_smile:

I believe it’s got to be charging at the time the update starts, otherwise it might fail as it’s not detecting the charger. So drain the battery a bit (say, 95%) and try again while it’s charging.

That’s both not the issue, i tried every charge state possible, 100%, 95% and it always just skips the update.

As you can read on the “Update State” the issue is not the charging, i just made that screenshot off the charger, so it says that right now that would be the issue.

Try with “–force” which relaxes some security checks.
Also, you will need to do it as root, as regular users don’t have access to certain device files.
Try sudo:

sudo fwupdmgr update
1 Like

Please read section Linux/lvfs

It looks like you need to discharge battery and then plug in AC

None of the tips helped guys, i have 100% battery, it goes into the fwupdater v1.4 and shows the framework logo on boot and then reboots and asks me in grub which system to boot, windows or ubuntu.

100% battery as you can see

If i select manually the fwUpdater in the boot menu, it says “No update to process”

Yes, but this is actually bad. It needs to be less than 100%.

From the original post:

Actually none of the things helped, it just skips the update on the reboot, and if i try to select the option it says “no update to proceed” or so, not 100% sure offhand.\

I tried so many times between 90-100% battery now :smiley:

Might it be an issue that i use grub and have 2 os parallel?

Do you have enough space on your EFI system partition?
Not sure what is “enough”, but that can be an issue.

Got like 31MB free there

That’s not very much. Can you get rid of some old kernel images?
(Also that ESP seems tiny, did an installer create this?)

That EFI partition seems to be one that is created by Windows as it is so small. That might be a problem why the BIOS update won’t go through (just one guess).

This is a problem with dual booting if you install Windows first and when installing linux use the same EFI partition (like most of the installers tend to do, unless you do a manual partition, when you select the possible “install alongside” option).

Yes that was the case, i mean if you want to run windows and linux parallel the only proper way is to start with windows, otherwise it overwrites each other.

Kinda tricky, but yeah, how can i solve it then, should be able to resize the efi partition if i boot with a live usb or so.

I am not that familiar with this and I guess it would be really tricky to extend the EFI partition after install as its the first partition which would mean you would need to somehow get some free space between the EFI and the next partition. But not familiar with this so I might be totally wrong.

I guess the easiest way would be removing the linux installation and doing it again with its own EFI partition but that would require manual partition during install.

That would require to completely setup my Laptop new, that’s not really a solution tbh.

You could use live usb system and then just use fwupd from there.
It should use the ESP on the usb drive and after that reboot into the live system again.