Framework Laptop vs. DIY Edition?

Are there any differences between the Framework laptop and the DIY Edition other than that for the DIY Edition, you can choose its specifications in more detail?

The DIY Edition doesn’t come with an OS pre-loaded, and there are a variety of memory and storage options to choose from that you install yourself. The hardware design is otherwise the same.

2 Likes

any chance of a standard laptop with no OS This is the only aspect that I would go for the DIY version for.

Is it not possible to configure the DIY Edition to be exactly like the standard Framework Laptop minus the OS?

It’s easy to configure DIY Edition to be similar to the pre-built options. The main configuration difference aside from OS is that we currently offer WiFi 6E cards for DIY while pre-built uses WiFi 6.

yes I can see that it is easy to configure to be the same. The big difference would be in having one package sent here rather than multiple ones. Living at the end of the earth in New Zealand has some disadvantages at times.

For the shipment/import, we’ll be shipping either option as one package. The DIY Edition package is ~25% larger though.

So besides the Wi-Fi 6E card, the rest of the hardware, such as the RAM modules and M.2 sticks, is the same between the DIY and Laptop editions? Is the 16GB of RAM in the Laptop in a 2x8GB configuration? I ask because the configuration changes I would make in DIY that differ from the Laptop are minimal, so the better value seems to be the Laptop, which offers a Windows Home license, 512GB M.2 SSD, and power adapter all for a total around USD$188, which would otherwise cost USD$337 in add-ons for the DIY.

For the pre-built Performance configuration, it is 2x8GB. For the pre-built Professional configuration, it is 2x16GB.

What SSDs do the pre-builds come with?

I see on the spec page the 1135 and 1165 model have “256GB” and “512GB” respectively, but the DIY the closest choices are “250GB” and “500GB”

I assume this is either a typo due to the SI unit confusion, or they are actually different model drives.

The pre-built systems currently use Western Digital SN730, while we have SN750 and SN850 available for configuration on DIY Edition. SN750 and SN730 are basically the same, but they actually are advertised by Western Digital to have different capacities, 250 vs 256 and 500 vs 512.

1 Like