Framework Motherboard does not power on / blink code

Dear all,
today I got my FRANBMCPAA2061003C 2022.02 Motherboard as part of the Creators program. I wanted to use it for a project, but sadly the board seems to be dead.

I plugged in a USB-C to Display Port connector with monitor, two banks of DDR4 RAM, a NVMe SSD and a USB C 60 Watt Powerbrick. I tried to switch it on via sw1, sadly I only get a blink code:

white
r, g, g, r, g
g, g, g,r, r
g, g
orange
7 times green

So its white,
1st red (no battery, which is fine)
4rd red (CPU reaches S4 - >does not work?)
9th red (FAN Does not spin up → which it really does not… but the plug is in)
10th red (CPU S0 reached → seems not to be the case)
orange
8x green
white

What can I do? Is the board dead on arrival?

Thanks,

Nico

PS: I already tried the CMOS battery reset ( Fully Resetting the Mainboard State - Framework Guides ) and removed everything except one stick of RAM and power - but did not help with the post code.

Others can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that if you don’t have a battery connected to the mainboard it requires a 100W power source to be able to boot.

this may have changed since the 3.06 BIOS release, but I have not seen any information that it has.

2 Likes

Thank you @Azure for your comment - I ordered a 100 Watt power adapter and will see how it will turn out :)!

Cheers,
Nico

1 Like

Hallo @Azure - I got myself a a 120 Watt power supply: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B09KMX7JF2/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and a good power cable: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07PMQ7RDH/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, the motherboard is stil dead. Its just blinking red LEDs, when I try to power it on it gives the error codes as above, indicating that the 3v/5v are still ok (as with the “old” 60 Watt power supply) and good power (as with the “old” 60 Watt power supply) - but the CPU stays dead at S4, S0 and the fan never spins up (and yeah, no battery, but thats a known one). So basically, it looks to me like the power supply and cable was not the issue, but I still have a dead unit on my hand. I tried another RTC battery reset and the red led is blinking fine - but trying to power it up via Sw1 it just gives the error code as above.

What to do now?

Thanks,

Nico

well, now that we’ve ruled out the power cable I think you are correct and you have a bad board. I’d recommend contacting support and requesting a new one. They should be able to help you out and may even have some insights on what was wrong in the first place!

1 Like

Thank you @Azure for your time and help, I will do so :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Nico

1 Like

Do you have a battery?

I know that (at least) older bios will not boot (whatsover) when the battery is not attached. Not sure about newer ones.

1 Like

Hey @Xavier_Jiang - no I have no battery. I only got sent the board by Framework for this project, but I guess it should be working without one as other people have gotten it working as well. (Framework specifically sent us these boards for using them “raw”, just us adding some power supply, RAM and NVME storage, so I hope they are new enough to work. A battery was not part of the project or shipment :))

2 Likes