Framework Onemix 3pt style

I love the Framework Laptop. I can’t rave about it enough.

I also know you guys are probably beyond swamped with requests and future product suggestions. So I figured: what the heck? Might as well propose mine as well.

That is a 1 Netbook Onemix 3pt (Core i7, 16GB RAM, 512gb PCie, touch and pen input, yoga hinge). Super small, and extremely portable. As I commute to work by bike, this was perfect. Sadly the keyboard is starting to have intermittent issues which I believe are related to heat stress.

However, if there is one thing my beloved Onemix has shown me is just how useful this form factor is.

If Framework would make a Framework laptop mini, I would be 100% behind it. Because if there was ever a laptop I’d like to last forever, this would be it.

That is all.

Keep up the good work team Framework!!

1 Like

Just as a quick question, how big is the Onemix?

8" screen. Fits in a coat pocket. :+1::+1:

1 Like

Aw crap… Now I have another computer I want to buy. That looks awesome. Instantly reminded me of this gem from 1995: the IBM Palm Top PC110.

Cool little machine, especially for the time. Never did get my hands on one.

I’ve owned the majority of the SeV line and the Framework will probably fit perfectly in the ‘iPad’ pocket on sizes above M/L. I used to carry an XPS 13 or a Chromebook Pixel LS in mine fairly often.

The trick is to do it in the winter when the bulky coats are in season, though the Quest vest is pretty nice year round and has even better pockets for iPads/laptops plus an OmniCharge 20+ (or two) fits perfectly in the outer pockets.

The Scottevest is too dependent on me wearing it. Ie: without it being on, carrying around a a full size laptop is carrying around a full size laptop. There is no way to cheat the size there. Also while riding a bike (recumbent mostly) I can’t have things on my body, especially around my waste and torso.

I think if you live in Canada or another climate that is similar this jacket makes a TON of sense. Somewhere like Arizona and you’ll never be able to wear it.

The Palmtop from IBM was WAY before its time and amazing. It was the OQO 01 before it was even a thing.

Unfortunately 1 Netbook have discontinued the Onemix 3 series. I think it was because the format really did have some heat challenges.

On mine, for example, I’ve disabled turbo boost and monitor temps. Heat kills components, and I try to preserve the circuitry necessary for the keyboard and mouse.

This thing really is the ultimate UMPC. The form factor is near perfect. The keyboard while taking a little bit of time to get used to is surprisingly full featured with keys that are a similar size to the keyboard you use every day. Here is a typing test I just too using it:

The only thing it lacks is a webcam. I see this as a plus.

GPD is now talking about their new Pocket 3 which looks to be somewhat modular. (Hopefully that is a nod to Framework) My concern is that while the devices are excellent, due to their minitature sizes their components are all soldered in place, and repair is COMPLETELY dependent on 1 Netbook. The battery is replaceable though.

But I mean if Framework could make something even as big as a 10" notebook that was repairable like the 13" model that would be outstanding.

A Onemix style Framework would be dream material.

Here is a picture of the Onemix, bag I use to carry it, and my hand for size comparisons. Please ignore the poor plant in the background. I am in the process of trying to nurse it back to health.

There is a certain size DPI trade off where if you make it too small with a high resolution screen it requires binoculars to use at arm’s length which cuts out large portion of potential customer base and if you go lower resolution then modern websites and applications look terrible and often won’t even launch. This is one area where Google kind of kills it with Chromebooks because their default viewing resolution isn’t always the panels native resolution but if you need more screen real estate you can zoom out to get more on the screen or zoom in if you are having trouble seeing something where you run into one of those horrible websites that doesn’t allow you to zoom.

I’m a huge fan of the Asus C100PA Chromebook, it really isn’t even that bad to take apart, the biggest issue is the touchscreen tends to break because a device that small you want to stick in your (big) pocket or toss in your bag and there are a lot of twisty forces that are really hard to test for and build in protections against and still keep thin and light. See bendgate for the iPhones and some Android phones and even recently some phones or tablets coming out of the box with a light warp for example.

The Cosmo Communicator is kind of a strange phone that is a nod to the Psion 5 and the Nokia Communicators but it has a really nice 2160x1080 ~6" screen and can run Android or Linux and it took me a little bit to discover but they do have a keybinding and Android to alter the screens DPI/resolution which is pretty awesome.

Windows DPI scaling works pretty well. I have it set to 150% and it works very well for me.
In the absence of no scaling I 100% agree with you.

In terms of what machine is the most comfortable to work on for extended periods of time, the Framework is hands down better than something like a Onemix 3pt.

For portability the Onemix can’t be touched.

I’ve been interested in the Cosmo, but the recent models and the sealed battery were instant turn offs. Also it really all comes down to the keyboard. I need to be able to enter data or write software. The smaller the keyboard and the less practical that all is.

Of course with a proper keyboard, SSH, and VNC the platform really doesn’t matter.

The battery on the cosmo actually isn’t that hard to get to, the bigger challenge is finding a compatible replacement or an alternative part.

The keyboard while excellent for prose definitely falls down when it comes to coding. Once I get my Linux installation settled to how I want with a tiling wm I’m fairly certain I’m going to be doing a lot of aliases to eliminate usage of - for options and/or remapping hyphen to another key, perhaps where they currently have backslash and bar because it is a pain being able to practically touch type emails and chats and then having to shift your hand to press function to get hyphen or underscore or even quotes.

The nice thing is with USB-C hubs fairly common it isn’t hard to plug in a wired keyboard for serious coding and I prefer an ortho linear layout anyways, or using a Bluetooth keyboard when you need to knock out more than a couple dozen lines of changes.

I can’t even imagine how they’d pack reasonable hardware into something like that while still having the (comparatively massive) framework cards and also keeping repairability. It would be a huge effort, but unlock a space in an entirely market that isn’t being touched by them.

With my glasses on I’ve got 20/10 vision, so I often run at native resolution when the machine is on my lap, but when it is on the desk and further than arms length I tend to go to 125-150%.

There would be compromises because of the form factor. Of course let’s look at the mainboard in the Framework laptop now: Are you able to repair surface mount components? The complexity of the mainboard and the user’s inability to repair it directly do not hinder the reparability of the Framework laptop.

In much the same way a Framework mini laptop could have a replaceable core. Even if the RAM and storage needed to be soldered on, being able to get a replacement board, and battery, screen, etc. would be an excellent improvement to what we have now.

Framework has proven that just because something is thin and light, doesn’t mean it can’t be repaired.