I’m sure DHH didn’t have a laptop before and needed one so much but if he bought one he couldn’t fund his fascism so this came as a lifesaver. This slope is really slippery.
I read almost all the messages here :)) I don’t agree with framework collaborating with omarchy, I would like for them to distance themselves from such projects and come with a statement (a real one, not the half-assed tweet from a few hours ago), but I’m also not gonna cancel my fw16 preorder just because of a mistake. Obviously nobody wanted/expected/knew this would happen and it’s still fresh. edit: and btw, i think omarchy is just some bloated distro.
Okay so, I’ve looked into what Omarchy does. Despite not claiming to be one, it’s just a grab bag of various software, notably some paid software with no FOSS alternative. This isn’t as much of a distro as it is just a preconfigured Arch installation… If Nirav really cared about the software, Framework should support Arch (and Hyprland if it turns out the community and developer isn’t hostile to queer people)
Up until the day after tomorrow I was a Framework fan. I love my laptop, and it’s been a huge help in my day-to-day activities. I used to tell people “get a framework, this thing is so cool”. I was under the impression that the company cared about good things such as repairability and compatibility, things that people care about.
Today I’m disappointed. If you’re willing to give money to individuals who spread hatred and toxicity, I’m leaving your big tent. I’m not going to tolerate you tolerating them. If you cross that line, you are going to loose good chunks of your community, while inviting 4chan techies to the conversation.
Within our Hackerspace, framework is always mentioned when someone is looking to buy a new hardware. Supporting open source and buying sustainable hardware is an important topic for us.
There can’t be any tolerance for the intolerant. With DHH this isn’t only about rhetorics. He has shown that he is willing to hurt open source projects. See what happened to Ruby Gems not so long ago described in this german language article: Wem gehört ein Open-Source-Projekt? – RubyGems droht die Spaltung | heise online
Until Framework doesn’t take a clear stance against intolerance, misogyny, racism and stops sponsoring far-right members, I won’t be able to recommend buying framework hardware.
Edit: Currently it’s unknown what role DHH had with the current crisis around RubyGems. See link some posts below.
Okay, so I’ve chatted with some of the admins for Hyprland’s community, they, Vaxry included, have seem to changed pretty positively. Vaxry himself has gotten personally involved in getting rid of transphobic members of the community as of late, which is really good… Overall, I think Hyprland and it’s community has grown recently. Time will tell whether that sticks true, but right now things are pretty positive! I don’t mind Framework financially supporting them now.
What I do mind, is Framework providing hardware and publicity to Omarchy and DHH.
I think some people here (at least one) might’ve gotten confused along the way and don’t understand the issue.
Framework is giving (lots of) PR and hardware to a project called Omarchy, which is (very openly) led by DHH, a vocally far-right figure. This on its face, alone, is not acceptable and is a big problem for many people, as shown in this thread.
It doesn’t stop there. Inviting DHH and Omarchy contributors (who are similarly politically aligned from a quick check, and as mentioned by ppl above) into the “big tent” does explicitly mean inviting far-right figures into the Framework community. There’s no way you can genuinely say “oh we give heaps of PR and send hardware to a far-right community spearheaded by a notorious far-right figure, but their views are not welcome in the Framework community”. It’s a patently ridiculous thing to try and state, because such endorsements always mean community overlaps, it’s not enforceable in practice unless you’re stating you now expect your moderation team to automagically solve that problem, somehow.
It’s not possible to co-mingle with KDE and avoid KDE community overlap, co-mingle with Gnome and avoid Gnome community overlap. Same goes with Omarchy, and Framework community-Omarchy community overlap is yet another consequence of the PR and hardware support Framework provides.
So yeah, given that Omarchy is a far-right-led community, uniquely so, even? For Framework, this public and insistent association does tangibly mean that the Framework community is now more inviting of Nazis.
That is good to hear, and, agreed. I don’t mind the Hyprland association even more if that’s where it got, it’s reassuring to see that people involved have grown and changed for the better. The “Omarchy by DHH” problem seems to be the main issue here then - which, sadly, doesn’t look like it can be resolved anywhere near as easily.
Framework you should keep making products and stay out of politics. Treat software and hardware on it’s merits and not by the politics of it’s creators. There are people on all sides of the political spectrum using your products. Just because someone believes in one side or the other doesn’t mean their software is better or worse.
It’s sad to see that framework is supporting projects run by hateful individuals. I’ve bought dozens of frameworks over the years and advocated for them with friends and colleagues. Unfortunately I won’t be supporting them anymore until this is resolved.
There is a huge chasm between difference of opinion and hate. I wish we lived in a day and age where these differences are inconsequential, but they are not. We are talking at best about people who demonize different demographics, and at worst people who promote policies that will result in the deaths of individuals.
I fail to see how projects under the framework supported big tent will have to interact with eachother but I can see your point.
Other than that it seems clear to me that Framework endorses the product and not the ideology. Anybody saying that this is Frameworks attempt to go against the “woke left” is delusional. And saying that Framework supports fhe far right also does not really stand. But it looks like only my opinion.
I’m not sure if you’ve noticed but most leftist spaces actually really don’t like either of those countries for being dictatorships and overall just awful lol