Framework supporting far-right racists?

All I ask for is “at least support people who want me dead quietly” and yet people keep failing that bar. That’s just kinda sad.

17 Likes

We’re on a laptop forum. I think there are more appropriate avenues (literally) where you can voice your opinion.

1 Like

this is an incredibly disappointing response; I love your products but I don’t want my money to go to a racist like DHH.

17 Likes

You just made the point for DHH. Unless you think Germany is again lead by nazis. Which I know not to be the case.

3 Likes

And here I thought Didoing was exclusively used with comparatively low-level things like content warnings and microaggressions, but now someone’s going “It’s Not So Bad” over literal transphobic murder. Cool. In case we needed any more indication.

18 Likes

No money from Framework went to DHH.

2 Likes

oh I see; they’re not directly monetarily supporting him, just via glazing him and his projects on social media.

edit: they are supporting him via rails world.

17 Likes

They didn’t glaze him, they glazed one of his (and many other contributors) software projects (that are free from any hate or transphobia) which is fine.

3 Likes

The world would be a lot more interesting if your choice of laptop had some correlation to whether or not your family gets broken up by far-right extremists. I’m fairly certain however, that you’ll fly under the radar this time.

2 Likes

It’s not a matter of our familys, but people in general, even if you dont know them. I do not want someone getting hurt down the line if I buy whatsoever. Sadly this is hard enough - up to impossible when it comes to cars for example.

11 Likes

unfortunately backing someone like vaxry with a documented history of behavior counter to the health of the open source community immediately taints the framework brand, as has the handling of all this. People can use whatever software they like on their own terms, but sponsoring known controversial figures makes it hard to recommend your machines.

2 Likes

Wow. How about that. After this having already been cleared and covered in multiple posts…

Including just a few posts higher up:

https://community.frame.work/t/framework-supporting-far-right-racists/75986/1864?u=not_winston_smith
2 Likes

Wow. How about that. After this having already been cleared and covered in multiple posts…

Including just a few posts higher up:

Okay, so I’ve chatted with some of the admins for Hyprland’s community, they, Vaxry included, have seem to changed pretty positively. Vaxry himself has gotten personally involved in getting rid of transphobic members of the community as of late, which is really good… Overall, I think Hyprland and it’s community has grown recently. Time will tell whether that sticks true, but right now things are pretty positive! I don’t mind Framework financially supporting them now.

https://community.frame.work/t/framework-supporting-far-right-racists/75986/1864?u=not_winston_smith

How are they a far-right racist?

yes I have read about the improvements in the community, but why, out of the thousands and thousands of projects you could back, would you choose to back one with such a history without at least planning for concerns from the community?

Overall I just hope there is some learning happening here, but it doesn’t feel like that is the case with the public communications from Framework.

3 Likes

Two things we’ve seen in countless open source projects:

  1. Appeasing will never be enough for some people
  2. Making amends will never be sufficient for some people

There will always be another reason to complain, another purity test to fail. Never a second chance to be able to redeem yourself.

I wonder, who are the intolerant?

Isn’t this clearly showing that Framework is correct in wanting a more balanced and inclusive approach?

2 Likes

Not that I ever wanted to reply again in this thread…

But on some other manners, I looked deeper into Omarchy and specifically the huge bundle of its scripts and such packaging is not a great idea - something can easily go wrong during the setup and that would leave you with a broken system, furthermore all of that sudo usage, curl and bundled 3rd party packages are questionable and before switching to Omarchy, I would try this in virtual machine first and inspect everything carefully what is going on, or just set up similar environment manually instead, on top of Arch with Hyprland. For a beginner (not you actually, but in general), who is jumping from macOS or Windows to Linux, I would just recommend to use a well established distro such as Mint or Ubuntu for that reason alone.

4 Likes

Please stop propagating the slanders and defamation by people like Drew DeVault (a confirmed lolicon enjoyer and mysoginist who thinks women should be forced to have IUDs until they’re 24), we already went over the allegations against the leadership of the hyprland project and found them to be baseless currently:

5 Likes

Hey everyone,

We want to share some clarity on how moderation will work for this thread going forward. This thread will be an exception to our usual community guidelines in other channels. Our goal is to create a space for open discussion that encourages self-expression and constructive criticism, while maintaining clear boundaries around respect and safety.

Discourse features
Discourse includes some automated safety features that may temporarily hide posts. If your post is hidden, it’s not always due to a moderator action. Please wait until a moderator reviews it, and they will determine if any other actions are needed.

If you have questions about a hidden post or moderation decision, you’re welcome to reach out. We’re open to discuss.

Moderator actions
Moderators may hide, delete, or issue a warning if a post includes any of the following:

  • Harassment or threats: Any comments, posts, or replies that attack, demean, or intimidate an individual or group (e.g., homophobic slurs, anti-trans sentiment, calling other users “Nazis” or “fascists”, etc).
    Doxxing or sharing personal information: Any content that reveals or hints at private or identifying details about users, employees, or other individuals.

What is allowed on this thread:

  • Critiques of Framework as a company: including strong or negative opinions about products, leadership, policies, or business practices.
  • Calls for boycotts or product criticism: Users may express disagreement through discussions of boycotts or product-related concerns.
  • Critiques of public figures or organizations (i.e. those meeting Wikipedia’s standards for notability): including strong or negative opinions about political positions, policies, or business practices.

Guiding Principles

  • Preserve self-expression whenever possible, unless there’s a clear safety or privacy violation.
  • Stay calm, neutral, and factual. Engage with ideas, not individuals. Avoid reacting emotionally to other posts.
24 Likes

Overall seems reasonable. However, if someone has a position that is objectively fascist or white supremacist, it shouldn’t be beyond the pale to call them a fascist, right? Like, at that point it’s just factual?

31 Likes