Full Power Magnetic Charging Card

So I wanted to give this another chance so I purchased this cable like suggested (https://www.amazon.com/Baseus-100W-USB-C-Cable/dp/B08PPGYRCX 51) and it works perfectly. Glad I came back for a second round. It works great.

3 Likes

I did the same as @Ryan_Blakeney and agree that it’s much more secure with this cable.

Had ten of these modules printed in PET G and bought the parts for three adaptors. If anyone is in need I am happy to part with printed parts at cost and will have to complete units as well. You can request a DM address and will be happy to discuss via email.

5 Likes

Here it is installed…

5 Likes

@Edgar_Acosta Wish I knew how to 3D Print, would love to grab one of these for mine! Any chance I can get a DM address?

Removed for DM as to not clog up board

1 Like

FYI, been using this for about two weeks (with the OOB cable). Working great! Thanks for the design!

1 Like

Received parts for a few more on Friday. Will be sending out to those who who ordered when mail store opens. During testing, I was surprised to see that the two ports on left side of machine both charge. I was under the impression that only the top port charged?

Any of the four expansion slots should allow charging.

3 Likes

@Edgar_Acosta do you mind sharing the settings you used for your prints? the transparency of the expansion cards looks sick and I’m thinking of doing the same. they look like little ice cubes lol

This is awesome! Here are my shots… I used the Sculpteo service, $20 total for two prints:

Material: SLS (Plastic), Nylon PA12 100-120µ (White)

Finish: Dyed, Orange

The parts fit perfectly, the bottom isn’t totally flat but no big deal for me.

Looking forward to seeing more fun mods like this!

1 Like

I’m so sorry if I have missed something blatantly obvious but as I live in the UK, while I wait for my February batch I thought I would play around with making my own expansion cards but the link you sent for the inner USB-C cost me $7 to import so I was wondering is there an alternate method to using an extension or can someone give me the length of the extension so I can look for a UK alternate or if you have an alternate can you point me in the right direction? many thanks to anyone that can help :blush:

1 Like

Hi,
I love the extension card you made, but i live in Germany and the inner usb c extension is not available here. Can someone give me the exact dimensions so i can find an alternitive one? Would be great! (or someone can tell me where to get it in the EU)

4 Likes

@Henger-SH turns out we were being blind and the measurements were on the webpage of the US stick:
Dimensions image
I will update you if I find a European one

4 Likes

Unfortunately it is such a unique length that I cant reach the needed 34mm the closest I have been able to get 43mm or 26mm, so the only alternate I can think of is a cable inside the adapter (unless you can solder?), so someone is going to have to remodel the original model to allow space to keep the cable and a way to make sure that the usb-c that goes in the framework does not move around and go back inside the expansion card when trying to insert it (I would volunteer to 3d model but I have no clue how to).
(the cable will have to be something like this but without the 90° bend) I WILL UPDATE THE POST IF I FIND A SHORT ONE WITHOUT THE BEND:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/WOVELOT-Extension-Degree-Ribbon-Shielding-black/dp/B09LRY6B3Z/ref=sr_1_11?crid=17ZGZGN31SRD5&keywords=5cm+usb-c+extension&qid=1640711319&sprefix=5cm+usb-c+extensio%2Caps%2C241&sr=8-11

3 Likes

@Jasters-Legacy Yea i guessed that. Thats a bit to complicated for me, and ordering it from the states is to expensiv just for a better look.

1 Like

unless the internet blesses me with the correct product I’m just going to wait for 1st party option

3 Likes

@Jasters-Legacy I might be able to buy one, cut it open and make my own PCB for it and a modified model so it’s a better fit and finish.

1 Like

Or something like this: Metal USB C Type C Female to Male Converter Extension Extender Charge Adapter | eBay I’m unsure if it is the correct size but nothing a bit of 3D cad won’t fix.

1 Like

@Josh_Cook I have one question, if the connecter is too short how can I extend it more, as I plan to do it all my self as my school can provide materials and tools but I’m a complete novice to basically everything I need like 3d modeling, PCB design & soldering so can you explain how to extend the connection so it’s long enough to reach the magsafe port or link a tutorial that expects me to know litrally nothing?

1 Like