FW13 AMD board stock issues?

I’ve been wanting to pick up an AMD Ryzen 5 7640U upgrade kit from the marketplace for the past ~2 weeks, but it’s been listed as out of stock. I’m a little confused as to how these kits (and even the mainboard by itself) aren’t available to order, yet you can order a brand new FW13 configured with the same mainboard and it will ship “within 5 business days”.

They’re clearly shipping units with these boards from inventory, so I can’t see why I’ve been unable to purchase the mainboard/upgrade kit. There’s also a chance I’m misunderstanding FW’s inventory and assembly processes as well.

Is this something I should be contacting support about? Or do I just need to be a little patient?

1 Like

Where are you located? They appear to be in stock in the US store. If they are not in your region, then it wouldn’t hurt to reach out to Support to see when they might be available in your region, or if there is some means for you to get one until such time that they are. Best of luck.

1 Like

I’m in Australia. I’ll open a support ticket enquiring about a restock window.

Still a bit confused as to how I’m able to order a few of the other mainboard upgrade kits, as well as a full system including the AMD board, but not the AMD boards by themselves.

1 Like

pre-built units have the mainboards installed into the case before getting put into stock for each country. I would guess that they had people buy up all the mainboards that are not in pre-builts to use for upgrades or standalone systems, and are working now to get more built up. As for other mainboards, there are different stocks for each of the processors.

2 Likes

Even the DIY editions?

yep, the DIY units are “prebuilt” with everything but the RAM, storage, keyboard, and bezel to make logistics easier.

2 Likes

Ah, that clears some things up. Hopefully I can get an ETA of restock through my support thread.

1 Like

Did you ever get a reply about how long to expect? I was going to place an AMD mainboard order in the US today but they went out of stock overnight. The fact that they’re still out of stock in Australia is concerning - makes it seem unlikely they’ll be restocking them.

no ETA. I’m concerned as well, and quite frustrated at this point too. I was hoping to have my laptop upgraded and ready for university by now. Hoping it comes back in stock soon

1 Like

Remember that Framework is also trying to get production ramped up on the FW 16, which had some last minute issues that had to be taken care of. It’s entirely likely that some resources are being pulled from FW13 to get FW16 ramped up a little faster, and that everything will even back out once FW16’s start getting out to customers.

Framework has already confirmed that they don’t plan to make a ryzen 8040 board since the changes to the processors this generation are so small. This would lead me to assume that they’ll be sure to restock eventually since they’ll have until ryzen 9040 to sell these boards.

this did cross my mind, given the demand for FW16. Say they’ve got most of the manufacturing resources for the FW13 directed to the 16, we might not be able to expect a restock for FW13 components for maybe a month or so