FW16 Batch 1 Guild

You could just alter your order and take off the macropad, then order the macropad separately

1 Like

How? I see no way to alter the order, short of sending in a support request, which I already did yesterday. They may charge me before they see the support request.

2 Likes

I’ve considered doing that and adding a ten-key instead, but once I have the macropad, I intend to use it quite often as a ten-key so I would have a useless ten-key sitting around that will probably become e-waste at some point…

2 Likes

Got my prep email as well. Will probably be delayed due to the RGB US keyboard, but hopefully this is a little under promise, over deliver and it gets shipped before the Lunar new year.

3 Likes

I’d probably prefer this too. I don’t want to wait until after the holiday chaos to get my laptop.

3 Likes

As a long shot – is anyone in the Batch 1 Guild in the greater Boston, MA area? I’m working on a replacement keyboard module (I love my trackpoint) but am way back in batch 16. I’d love to get ten minutes hands-on with a FW16 to check out details of the screen hinge and midplate and test fit some keyboards.

9 Likes

Or you could 3D print a case for the ten-key, and have it as an external pad. The internal connections are USB-2 so all you need is a standard USB cable off a defunct device (assuming the cable is ok and not the cause of device being defunct).

I suspect there will be quite a little industry doing 3D cases for this purpose, to add something like the LED matrix modules or the macro pad or the ten-key to a FW13 …

2 Likes

That looks really cool, sadly I live a sea away, but if you’re ever traveling, or just keep updating everyone on your progress, that would be lovely!

1 Like

I got the 2 TB and 64 GB versions of these two respectively, so hopefully no changes in compatibility just because of the size.

1 Like

This is my final “launch day” configuration:

Base System:
Framework Laptop 16 DIY Edition (AMD Ryzen™ 7040 Series)
System: Ryzen™ 9 7940HS

Chargable Custom Options:
Expansion Bay Module: Graphics Module (AMD Radeon™ RX 7700S)
Power Adapter: 180W Power Adapter
Laptop Bezel: Framework Laptop 16 Bezel - Black

Misc Freebies:
Replacement Parts: AC Cable
Accessories & Tools: Poster, patch, and sticker sheet illustrated by Stephen Maurice Graham
Accessories & Tools: Starfield™ Premium Edition game code (only with configurations that include a Graphics Module)

Input Items:
Keyboard: International English - Linux
Numpad: Numpad Module

Expansion Cards:
4X USB-C Expansion Card
1X USB-A Expansion Card
1X HDMI (3rd Gen) Expansion Card
1X Audio Expansion Card
1X Ethernet Expansion Card

Items procured via third party vendors include:

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws SO-DIMM 64GB (2 x 32GB) 262-Pin DDR5 SO-DIMM DDR5 5600 (PC5 44800) Laptop Memory Model F5-5600S4040A32GX2-RS
NVME Primary: SAMSUNG SSD 990 PRO 2TB, PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280, Seq. Read Speeds Up-to 7,450MB/s (MZ-V9P2T0B/AM)
Case: Rickshaw Bagworks Sutro Messenger
3 Likes

It just so happens that I am both of those things! If you’d like, I’ll let you know when I receive my laptop, which should be pretty soon (no RGB macropad).

4 Likes

Fantastic! Now I feel like an honorary member of the batch 1 guild, since I’ll be eagerly watching the shipping schedule on your behalf. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Dude is there any possible for me to take a glance of it? I’m in Boston too, I’m like batch8 but really want to take a look.

2 Likes

This would be a sweet idea. I ordered a num pad, but not sure if I will need it or not. As of now, I find myself using it out of muscle memory (on a desktop keyboard), but not sure if I will loose that habit once I move over to a laptop. I don’t think I would like typing off-centered so I am going to try to figure it out once I get it.

If I decide not to use the num pad, I would like to repurpose it as a external keypad though. It would be great to use occasionally (especially when using spreadsheets), and not have it on the laptop itself.

Despite being able to reconfigure quickly, I really don’t want to be constantly swapping. I still don’t know how I’m going to end up using it so undecided on a “semi-permanent” config.

This is also why I have both the GPU and the blank expansion slot.

1 Like

If you are like me and struggle with the num row (I use it exclusively and I’m still off by 1 quite often), you might appreciate an additional layer on the keyboard that has a numpad around the homerow.

That’s what I’m looking forward to with the Laptop 16, customizing the keyboard firmware is gonna be huge. The best is that the layers will just work everywhere, since the OS has no clue what kind of shenanigans you’re up to with your keys :​D

1 Like

You trolling? Order shipped already?

1 Like

Accidental troll, got an email from frame work say order shipped and got overly excited till I realised it was a replacement USB power cable for my wife’s 13" laptop.

9 Likes

LOL !
I love how much you Guys are so nervous about the launch !
Ahaha :crazy_face:

It remembers me the feelings when I was on batch 1 for the FW13 AMD.
Still, I’m patiently waiting for my Batch 6 FW16 …

I wish all of you a lot of fun with the new coming toy :wink:

4 Likes

You have no idea… :smiley:
UPDATED: Especially since I have the disks and RAM sitting on my desk just in front of me, and I always see it!!! Every mail delivery hurts! :rofl:

8 Likes

Almost same here - 64GB RAM just sitting around, the 4TB SSD is currently in the budget laptop I bought from a friend to bridge the gap (good decision for sure).

Hoping I’ll get my B5 shipment somewhere in the first two weeks of March.

1 Like