FW16 Batch 1 Guild

If I live in Canada, am I in the “US Continent”. Ah, am I even American since I live on the North American continent (now us continent apparently)? How about the French speaking Canadian that I am? I am having an identity crisis! :o

2 Likes

someone on reddit posted that they got theirs lol

4 Likes

Yeah, reading that now. stuck on black screen though, something about DDR5 training which I didn’t know about.

2 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/r/framework/comments/1ah8lf4/got_my_framework_16/

9 Likes

Nice, thanks!

Sadly looks like he’s got some kind of issue. Hopefully just RAM or RAM training.

Glad I got to learn about that, when I get my FW DIY and get my 2x48GB. I suspect it might take quite a while for first boot for me.

3 Likes

In the older articles, they state it can take hours for the ram training …
https://vtechinsider.com/what-is-ddr5-memory-training/
Hopefully, since the CPU is amazingly fast, it should go faster.

1 Like

Uh…I don’t think that’s a useful article. Has sentences like this gem:

Seems like it’s AI written. And those bolded parts are actually some kind of underlined thing, and I suspect are really supposed to be affiliate/marketing links of some kind, but probably blocked by my adblocker. Which blocked 331 items.

DDR5 systems may require training | Crucial.com, which I trust a LOOOOT more, says it should be at most 15 minutes or so. Perhaps for the 48GB modules it might take somewhat longer. I’d say not hours, hopefully.

The Reddit poster is using 2x16GB.

10 Likes

Careful, I hear you can be jailed for an identity crisis in Canada. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

But they have free Health-care :smiley:

3 Likes

Regarding the RAM retraining…Why is there not a display showing what it is doing, similar to the olden days when the bios screen would show counting up through the 2MB ram you installed?

Feels like a basic usability feature (bios/uefi info on poweron) that has been around since the dawn of the micro computer has now been lost.

5 Likes

I don’t think his issue is ram training, unfortunately.

1 Like

Yeah, seems like something worse is going on. Unless it’s just entirely bad RAM. No more updates, so poster is probably directly working with FW on a ticket or something to figure it out.

1 Like

Need a banana for scale!

4 Likes

My Desktop 7700X retrains 64GB in about 5-10 min.

5 Likes

Be careful about articles like that, which are written by either an AI or a person with not much idea about what they are talking about. In one part of that article:

What Are The Benefits Of Ddr5 Memory Training?

Memory training is the process of improving one’s ability to remember information. This can be done through various techniques such as mnemonics, visualization, and repetition.

:joy:

14 Likes

Looks like he got it sorted out. Had to reseat some connectors on the board.

Now I’m just obsessively checking my banking app for a pending payment for my Batch 1 barebones order. :expressionless:

11 Likes

Aww, man. Mine didn’t make it onto the first pallet(s). Hopefully next week before the pause!

9 Likes

Ha! Yeah, that makes some sense. I’ll just have to take my time, rather than hurry up and try and get it up and running when I get mine.

2 Likes

Check out the Linus Tech Tips review of the FW16. They confirmed that it worked. I believe they used a HDMI expansion card tho. I’d be surprised if it doesn’t work.

1 Like

Internally the HDMI card is essentially just the DisplayPort card with a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter. So since HDMI works DisplayPort should also.

5 Likes