FW16 Batch 1 Guild

I ordered my system GPU-less and I do want a GPU eventually, but I’m thinking here, I really want more than 8 GB of VRAM. I’m very pessimistic that Nvidia will ever allow a Framework GPU module, since they are control freaks with their board partners, but assuming DirectML and AMD ROCm take off, you’d still need at least 16 GB of VRAM and preferably much more to work with larger models like LLMs.

I wonder how the shared-VRAM partitioning is set up on the FW16. Some machines’ UEFI allow you to use up to half of system RAM as GPU memory, but others limit you to like 4-to-8 GB of shared VRAM. 32 GB of VRAM on a Radeon 780M likely wouldn’t win any performance awards, but it would let you load the big models at all and still run faster than CPU inferencing.

7 Likes

Most modern systems (including all variants of the Framework 13) do allow half the ram (more can be achieved through registry hacks) to be dynamically allocated to the iGPU. So I would be shocked if that isn’t the case with the FW16.

3 Likes

Update, after being on vehicle for delivery, it was held back due to customs, at least that is what the tracking says.

I wonder if the package moved physically faster than customs could issue approval, so delivery was paused (?)

6 Likes

I saw that the hour it came out!! Super happy to have at least partial confirmation. Now I just hope it works with whatever black magic DisplayPort uses to send both VR lenses over a single cable.

I’m batch 1, but I haven’t seen a shipping confirmation yet. I’m extremely excited, but also a little antsy. I’m going to be home for study week at the end of February, and that 7-30 day window they quoted us means it’s theoretically possible it’ll ship the day after I go back to school. Which would be absolutely heartbreaking. Good thing I went with the regular inputs instead of RGB!

3 Likes

Yep, this actually happens a bit more than you think.

4 Likes

I’m curious to see when the first customer in the EU gets the FW16. I’m in NL and also in batch 1, but no change on my order yet…

4 Likes

For all I have seen about FedEx, your package will be in Amsterdam tomorrow (no matter where you are)

3 Likes

Batch 1 UK. My remaining balance is now £0.00!

14 Likes

Nice!
Sadly, I’ve not been charged yet, likely because I have the Linux keyboard… :penguin:

2 Likes

Congrats, I’ll be enjoying your FW16 vicariously until mine is shipped.

2 Likes

@Chris_Child how exciting, what are the specs you ordered?

1 Like

So I’m a pretty standard build, 7840HS with 7700S. I also got the British English keyboard. I ordered the RAM and SSD from elsewhere.

2 Likes

kinda like last october, im travelling right after the expected shipping window, im hoping to get mine within 2 weeks, but since i got an rgb keyboard im not exactly holding my breath

1 Like

snap, hopefully my card will be charged soon!

1 Like

Still waiting here. I switched my order from a Linux keyboard to a blank iso one (was a close second anyway) so I might get it shipped sooner. But alas, all that money is still in my account (insert futurama reference here)

2 Likes

Just had my dispatch email from Framework. Estimated delivery of the 8th!

13 Likes

Small ask from someone in Batch 6 :smile: :

We all know by now that the screen flexes on the sides quite a lot.
But could someone check when they get it how the back panel flexes ?

I would not put heavy stuff on top of the FW16 when closed but my concern is that if the back panel flexes too much, the screen could break too easily…

1 Like

FW16 in hand.

The physical assembly took 20 mins or so. And after windows and a boot issue (resolved via removing SSD/1 ram stick) I was through the windows install process and up and running in far less than 2 hrs.

10 Likes

I’m in batch 5, but I’d be happy to report back

1 Like

You the OP from reddit then?

1 Like