FW16 Batch 1 Guild

no, but their issue seems similar.

1 Like

@Jordan_Long but after successful first boot, you installed the 2nd stick of RAM and was away and working? It’s very odd having to remove the SSD and 1 stick of RAM, more concerning if, after first boot, you couldn’t reinstall that 2nd stick of RAM.

1 Like

Yes. I don’t know if it was the 100% exactly the same as the redditor, but I think it’s reailstic it was the same underlying issue.

Yes, no issues on subsequent boots. SSD is installed, as is second RAM stick in slot 1.

4 Likes

Weiiiiiird. I hope Framework figures that out. That seems pretty bizzare though.

Anyways, at least there seems to be some sort of easy “first boot” fix.

2 Likes

Ayyy! Finally got mine!
I’m super excited:)

35 Likes

envy covered my eyes

5 Likes

Yes, for as long as it’s the international banana.

5 Likes

I’m wondering, why is there no Batch 2 Thread?

2 Likes

Received my DIY 16 yesterday and have it setup with Fedora 39. Very happy with it. Some notes I thought could be useful to others planning to run Linux.

Assembly:

• Assembly took ~20 minutes
  • Thought I had a fit issue with spacers during assembly (spacer higher than keyboard) but everything looks correct after full assembly. Not sure when it corrected itself.
  • Screen does flex a bit when opening, but not enough that it feels fragile to me

While using:

• I never knew I wanted to authenticate sudo with a fingerprint reader, but its fantastic QOL.
  • Least quirky desktop Linux install I’ve done, likely because no nvidia drivers to fight with
  • Keyboard feels good to me. I prefer the mechanical keyboard at my desk, but this feels on par with other laptops I’ve used.
  • Battery drained 99% → 95% while unplugged over night (closed lid, went to bed), which feels acceptable to me
  • Switches between ethernet & wifi much more smoothly than MacOS has for me
  • Was confused by external monitor not working with slot 5, but it was due to slot 5 not supporting display out. Swapped to slot 4 and it worked.
  • Text is small to my eyes by default, scaled up to 1.25 with gnome-tweaks which is working nicely.
24 Likes

I guess nobody in batch 2 felt the need to create one yet.
These aren’t any official threads, though. So if you want a batch 2 thread, go ahead and open it

1 Like

Which keyboard did you go with? Great to hear about a positive experience. Can’t wait to get my 16.

1 Like

I’m just excited to see any information about B2 is starting to ship. B8 is too far away.

2 Likes

It isn’t as far as anyone knows. I’m batch 1 in Colorado, pretty vanilla diy, and no shipment or notification for me yet.

5 Likes

So is B14 :frowning:

1 Like

I’m in Batch 5 so it won’t be me, lol. I feel someone will create it when they feel like it’s getting closer. Being in Batch 5 already seems pretty far off so I’m just sitting here soaking it all in from the others who already got theirs.

I’m just surprised there aren’t more videos on FW16. There seem to be more written reviews than videos (I didn’t expect that). And so far only one user video that I’ve seen so far.

3 Likes

Batch 1 DIY
Ryzen 7, no dGPU, orange bezel, orange spacers, RGB US keyboard, 4xUSB-C, 1xUSB-A, 1xHDMI

I ordered the RAM and already had the SSD
G-Skill 64GB (2x32GB) F5-5600S4040A32GX2-RS
4TB SN850X

My order arrived late this morning. Everything put together and Ubuntu 23.10 installed in a little over an hour. It would have been faster, but the Ubuntu install media I had previously prepared stopped working. Flashed to another drive and was up and running fairly quickly.

I haven’t had much time to really test things out, but so far everything has gone very smoothly and I am pretty excited.

11 Likes

When is the last chance we will have any additional shipments go out? Tonight? Tomorrow?
No info on the Linux/RGB keyboards yet :cry:

1 Like

I ordered with the RGB keyboard and received my laptop this morning.

9 Likes

I have multiple reports that RGB orders are shipping. I haven’t heard anything about the Linux keyboards and my Linux keyboard order has not been shipped nor charged as of the publication of this post. We’re getting close to daybreak of February 7 in Taiwan.

Lunar New Year shutdown is expected to begin around early afternoon tomorrow (US). After that, there will be a pause for one week with expected shipments resuming somewhere around early afternoon (US) on Wednesday February 14th.

8 Likes

So you’re telling me there’s a chance mine could ship before the break.

1 Like