FW16 Batch 1 Guild

Soon of a!.. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I’m coping … I’m coping…

3 Likes

Mine arrived today, pretty happy so far. The Windows WiFi caught me out, but was a pretty easy fix. Debian was smooth. Only wrinkle so far is that the spacers around the track pad don’t seem to fit very well. They don’t sit level and in some positions the pad moves up and down with wrist pressure.

2 Likes

I think there are plenty of batch 1 people with no delayed items that are still waiting to be billed, so don’t feel too bad.

2 Likes

These seem like a pretty ubiquitous complaint so far. Hopefully they’ve got a one-piece lower track pad assembly in the pipe line next year. I know that it kind of undercuts one of the big advertised features, but I feel like a lot of people would just rather have one piece that feels more finished/solid.

5 Likes

As “cool” as the move-on-demand trackpad and the mix-and-match two-piece keyboard and numeric keypad configuration is… I hope they manufacture one-piece variants for those of us that would prefer a more solid and cohesive experience.

9 Likes

From what I’ve seen it seems like just about everyone would like a solid opinion, likely myself included. Hopefully they see that’s what the community wants and we get it.

6 Likes

I wish we were in the majority, but it seems like we are about 38% of the community. At least based on the poll I had made about it a while back.

But back then no one had gotten the delivery. I am not sure what will be the percentage of users who would want a single trackpad without spacers, after having received and using the laptop. I wish FW will make it though, as there isn’t a downside for them.

1 Like

Wow can’t believe they are not honoring the first come first serve mentality mine is a US keyboard with no RGB, and I am still waiting on my batch one to be shipped and Batch 3 is already going out!? They should do away with identifying what batch you are in if they are going to ship things this way.

5 Likes

Mine arrived and I’m doing a “start from scratch” with NixOS because I wanted to start out by using Disko for the first time, so taking some time to learn a few things. Currently struggling to get raid1 on /boot working.

3 Likes

I would definitely prefer the ability to shift the trackpad left or right based on where I’m setup to work. I absolutely hate hitting it with my hand and depending on how I’m sitting and where I am, having the current ability to shift it left/right is worth it. Maybe someone will make a 3d-printable solid module you put the hardware in later?

1 Like

If you need, I can share some knowledge, I’m polishing up my Disko setup.
The layout is different (single disk, ZFS on LUKS), so it would be only general knowledge :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had been hoping to use systemd-boot with a raid1 similar to this example boot setup. I’m guessing that I’ll need to go back to grub to get this working correctly as bootctl hates using the md device.

1 Like

I had done that manually in the past. Check out: How can I boot from the SATA drive 2 of a Software Raid-1 System - it may give you some hints and understand the process.

1 Like

Adding to the noise.

Card was charged on the 19th

Shipping email with tracking number received today (20th)

Supposed to arrive on Thursday (22nd)

4 Likes

Anything special in yours? (MacroPad, RGB Keyboard, Linux Keyboard, etc) I’m seething with impatient jealousy lol.

2 Likes

Same here. I never suspected my choice of keyboard would lead to delays, but everytime I consider changing my order I imagine the unnecessary windows icon and restore my patience.

6 Likes

I am also still waiting for the charge. I really hope this week is the week :smiling_face_with_tear:
I have told many people already that I have ordered this laptop.

Official I missed the first few minutes of the preorder, but the second attempt made it to batch number 1, so I expect to be at the end of it.

Ryzen 7, 7700S, Own memory & storage, international keyboard standard backlight, numpad, orange bezel, 180w adapter

4 Likes

Here are my ordered specs. Really hoping they ship soon:

Pre-order specs:
System: Ryzen™ 9 7940HS
Expansion Bay Module: Graphics Module (AMD Radeon™ RX 7700S)
Laptop Bezel: Framework Laptop 16 Bezel - Black
Keyboard: RGB Clear ANSI
Replacement Parts: AC Cable

Spacers:
2 x Color shift
2 x LED Matrix

Expansion Cards:
    HDMI (3rd Gen)
    MicroSD
    2 x USB-A
    3 x USB-C
    Ethernet Expansion Card
    DisplayPort (2nd Gen)

Bringing my own ssd and ram.

2 Likes

Haha, I understand your pain.

Nothing special in mine. Regular keyboard, regular numpad, and the GPU.

3 Likes

Well, they basically are. The issue is that the orders can vary quite a bit. From CPU, RAM and SSD, to bezel, keyboard, spacer modules, input modules, power supply, expansion cards, etc.

If one (or more) of the items needed for an order in a particular batch isn’t yet available, rather than hold up ALL of the remaining batches and push back the entire timeline (and let complete, ready to ship orders from later batches just sit on shelves in the warehouse), they simply proceed with shipping batches. Once whatever is missing becomes available, your order will ship. But in the meantime, if they DO have all the stuff available for later batches, they will begin to ship them.

It’s unfortunate that some batch 1 orders are still waiting to ship (or even be charged), but your order isn’t being delayed further by the other orders shipping. They are simply shipping what they can, when they can. Your order is still ahead of later batches with the same configuration. For example, if your order is waiting for some, specific component to become available, once it does, it will be used to fulfill batch 1 orders first.

12 Likes