FW16 Batch 20 Guild

I’m wondering if we can get the new colored USB-C expansion cards. Lavender to match my bezel for example Framework | USB-C Expansion Card.

And the new 9MP webcam would be cool too of course.

Both of these are mentioned in the latest blog post as upgrades for the FW13, along with a new screen that’s higher resolution than the FW16 screen, but lower refresh rate. Framework | Introducing the new Framework Laptop 13 with Intel Core

1 Like

This late in the game I doubt it, but it looks to only be $29… which really isn’t too bad for a high end webcam.

Certainly ordering all the colors for USB-C though, that’s really cool! I’m hoping they do that for the palm rest spacers and touch pad.

2 Likes

batch 16 receiving the parts right now

Hi Peeps

Well ordered mine back on the 8th and looking at projections hopefully email next week but if they want to send it sooner I’ll be ok with that :slight_smile:

Seems like sharing what you ordered is the norm so might as well join in, be aware I have serious GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) so I mayyyy have gone a tad overboard cause why not.

Ryzen™ 9 7940HS - Probably overkill but I’m cool with that.
DDR5-5600 - 64GB (2 x 32GB) do I realistically need 64,No!, do I want it, Yes :slight_smile:
Expansion Bay Module: Graphics Module (AMD Radeon™ RX 7700S)
Numpad Module
Keyboard: British English
Laptop Bezel: Framework Laptop 16 Bezel - Black
Power Adapter Region: UK / IE / HK / SG
Expansion Cards
6 x USB-C (Aluminum)
4 x USB-A
HDMI (3rd Gen)
DisplayPort (2nd Gen)
Ethernet
MicroSD
Audio
(I told you I had GAS lol, but I’d rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it)
2x Extra Spacer: Framework Laptop 16 Spacer - Black
Extra Medium Input Module: RGB Macropad Module

Buying separate
4TB - Cruicial P3 PLUS 2280
2TB - WD_BLACK SN770M M.2 2230

Installing Win 10/Linux Mint duel Boot

Might add to order if poss,
1TB (2nd Gen) Expansion Card (a decent maybe)
2x LED Matrix (Cause LEDs, and LEDs are cool)
Framework Laptop 16 Fastener Kit (Because my carpet eats screws I’m pretty sure)

So here’s hoping email soon and kit in hand soon too :slight_smile: my 2nd hand ex work laptop (Dell Latitude E7240) is barley coping, though now I’m playing with linux on it it seems happier lol, starting to try transition off windows and move as much over to linux as poss, especially now with the updates they have planned err yea time to jump ship, so just getting my linux legs :slight_smile:

Soon peeps, soooooonnnn :smiley:

2 Likes

Well welcome aboard :slight_smile:

I use my Windows completly decluttered.
A Pro Tip use the christitustech winutil and create a decluttered windows iso.
Install it and than install the Atlas OS over it and run the Winutil again to cleanup the Rest. I used that to reinstall Windows on my Legion Go to reduce background tasks, telemetry and Ads. Worked like a charm. 100 processes less after bootup and around 3gb less in cache :+1:t2:

CTT - Winutil (Youtube)

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips :slight_smile: that’s been copy pasted in a txt file for later use :slight_smile:

I have got a main gaming pc for core gaming, and where I use a myriad of peripherals like stream decks, drawing tablets etc etc and importantly my VR rig (Multiple differnt headsets, yep that GAS again loll) so at the moment windows gets a stay of execution there, for now!!

But this new lappy is going to be my experimental area I can just try learn to daily drive and game on and see what hardware I can get running, can I get VR running on it etc, but also not be overly worried about borking my lappys OSs :slight_smile: as I have still got main pc, but get comfortable and to a point where I think I can then commit to installing linux on main computer too.

For now the waiting game :slight_smile:

1 Like

Should be any day now! :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Definitely probably Monday or Tuesday since they don’t work on weekends!

Wow thanks for sharing! I think AtlasOS is still a little too big of a change for me, but even just following https://youtu.be/6UQZ5oQg8XA still halves the number of processes running after a fresh install.

Thats what i did, and afterwards i installed the AtlasOS Package over the shrinked Windows Install. I did not notice anything different or missing.
All needed services and Tools are there and you can even use the windows Store. Just every damn Telemetry and Call Home Feature is shaved away.
In my Legion Go Use Case it helped me alot in Edge Cases because the 16GB Ram for ihpu and CPU is just not enough.

I am so excited!

1 Like

Thanks for pointing out AtlasOS, I wasn’t aware of it until now. I use Linux for everything but I’m still stuck with Windows for games. I was concerned with sticking around with Windows beyond Windows 10 due to the additional spyware/telemetry of 11, AtlasOS might be a good solution to get around that.

I’ll still stick with a dual boot (technically triple boot, 2 OSes for personal use, 1 for work), but I’ll be happier going straight for Windows 11 rather than 10 for use on the Framework now.

Well, my 96GB’s of SK Hynix 5600 just arrived from South Korea! Basically impossible to find these outside of overseas for some reason!

Once I figure out the BIOS unlock for memory settings, these chips should get me to 7000Mhz at ~CAS 40 from reviews of other memory modules these are used in. Surely to give a huge boost to iGPU and RAM speed.

Really would like to see if there’s PCI Express configurables hidden in there too, from my experience you can overclock the Express bus a few MHz via Spread Spectrum to get some more bandwidth for eGPU and NVME RAID if using both slots.

im batch 19 but W thread

No worries, welcome to the party!

Wow! I didn’t know that Windows 11 was so bloated with intrusion apps. I will have to decluttered it with CTT Winutil. Thanks.

Finding a download of enterprise version of Windows helps a bit, not completely, but an easy way to help while knowing your installation is safe

Possibly you can with smokless_umaf.
SteamDeck and Legion Go both use an insyde Bios and i was able to unlock ctdp, Timings and more inside there :wink:

Smokeless_UMAF - Github

1 Like

Hi fellow Batch 20s, just wanted to join the fun before everything gets started hopefully soon :wink: I’m usually more of a lurker.
Opted for the dedicated GPU and will provide my own 2 TB SSD and 64GB RAM (my minumum for several years now, sometimes VMs and Firefox Tabs hoarder ^^ still, better FF Tabs than Chrome’s :wink: ). OS will be Fedora, as with all my other computers for the last 2 years.

3 Likes

Welcome fellow lurker! I’d normally be in the same boat as you, preferring to just scroll through other people’s comments, but I couldn’t resist joining this forum.

I’m also going to be using Fedora on the Framework, I used to be a hardcore Arch fanboy, but after going through the install a few times it really starts to get old. I tried OpenSuse Tumbleweed as an alternative rolling distro to Arch, but I found it had a few bugs and some packages were really out of date. Fedora still has very up to date packages so I’ve been trial running it on my desktop ahead of installing it on the Framework, so far it’s shaping up nicely.

2 Likes