FW16 Batch 20 Guild

Yeah, the Legion Go Community is really active with eGPUs and all.
My Framework will replace my Legion Go as my only Setup. The biggest GPU viable in an TB3/4 Enclosure (due to only beeing pcie3x4 32gbps) is an RX6700xt/7600xt They don’t loose exorbitant Performance. And the Biggest viable Option in an USB4 Enclosure (namely the UT3G (pcie4x4 64gbps throttled down to 40gbps)) is an RX6800xt/7800xt and the Nvidia equivalents. Anything bigger is loosing so much Performance its Costwise just dumb.

Attached is a Picture how my GPU is setup. The PSU is attached below my Desk/ Hidden out of Sight.

1 Like

Are you guys aware of OcuLink Expansion Bay Module - #177 by Josh_Cook? That offers PCIe Gen 4.0 x8, which is 16 GB/s or 128 Gb/s. In any case, not only is oculink more bandwidth, it is also significantly less overhead https://www.youtu.be/watch?v=TkRXMizMAqE

I’m seeing some conflicting info but sounds like people are already pretty happy with an RTX 4090 on oculink x4, so oculink x8 would be even better https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/s/2GZl1MXtIk

From what I’m reading a bit of DIY is needed to get x8 since most of the oculink market is only x4. But that sounds right up your alley from your conversation so far. And even x4 oculink is as much as twice as fast as thunderbolt per https://youtu.be/XQGG5dgRf3k, due to less overhead.

2 Likes

That Occulink is pretty sweet, only downside I see is hot swapping comfort with the USB C connector becomes swapping expansion bay… Really not the end of the world, but I’m not 100% certain how my use case will predicate unscrewing interposers every time I sit on the couch haha!

Knowing myself, I’ll end up ordering both and comparing the perf difference. My laptop I have now (and have been using since 2017) is a Clevo P870-DM3 with a 6700k and GTX 1080 MXM. Might throw the UTG3 on there to see how TB3 > USB4 > Occulink performance manifests in reality.

Likely going to be doing some extreme overlocking with phase change and chilled water… My goal is to overclock back any gap in performance loss from bandwidth.

Passive radiator setup I’ve used to cool about 850w of waste heat (no fans) w/ dual EK D5 pumps.

You don’t have to unscrew anything, oculink uses a regular cable. Thunderbolt has overhead to support hotplug meaning your computer won’t crash if you unplug while powered on. Oculink doesn’t have hotplug meaning you have to reboot anytime you want to plug/unplug.

Right, but you have to remove the 7700S expansion module is what I was getting at if you are mobile and moving around.

That’s the pain point for me. Not the worst thing in the world though.

And you can not hotswap oculink during Operation. You have to fully shutdown the device to initialize Oculink. USB4/TB4 connects the pcie lines through a protocol. Oculink is just plain exposed pcie lanes.

@Viceroy if your current setup does not have usb4 its not compatible with the UT3G USB4 is Thunderbolt Compatible but not vice versa.

I want to stay with my usb4 eGPU instead of Oculink to keep the versatility and i did t order the expansion bay shell.
With my LeGo and RX6800xt im the timespy Chartleader currently :joy: My LeGos Bios is also modified to run with up to 45w tdp instead of the stock 30w

2 Likes

Ah. It didn’t occur to me you might want to use an eGPU in addition to an internal discrete GPU.

1 Like

I will use the Framework as my Gaming Laptop on the Go/Deployment with the 7700s and at Home with my RX6800xt paired to my 21:9 3440x1440 Screen.

1 Like

Oh, apparently Linux supports PCIe hotplug, just not Windows. https://youtu.be/8I2tXHN6Q3I

Sorry I am probably just tired, but what do the yellow and green lines mean, I know the blue one is when we expect the email to be sent out.

I am so excited! Got my order in on batch 20 a day or two just before it sold out I was shocked when I checked back and the batch was sold out!

Got all the basics:

Memory

• Framework 2*8gb DDR5 5600 16gb RAM

Primary Storage

• 512gb m.2 From my old dead laptop

Secondary Storage

• No secondary storage

Operating System

• Bring your own

Expansion Bay System

• Expansion Bay: Expansion Bay Shell

Customization

• Bring my own power adapter
  • Keyboard: RGB US English
  • Laptop Bezel: Framework Laptop 16 Bezel - Black
  • Spacer: 2 x Color shifter

Expansion Cards

• 2 x USB-C
  • 2 x USB-A
  • HDMI (3rd Gen)
  • 1 X audio jack

The best tracking thread I’ve found is Framework Laptop 16 Batch Shipment Chart - #263 by TwigGlenn4. The first post links to a Google Sheet with the latest data, although I can’t read it well on my phone.

Thanks! Just saw that batch 18 got their emails a few days ago which menas 19 should be getting theirs sometime this week, then it’s us!!! We are si close soldiers

4 Likes

Hello Batch 20ers,

I’m super excited for this computer since I heard of Framework three years ago and liked their mission of repairability. Also, I need to get away from Apple’s ecosystem and I wanted to support Framework.

Ryzen 9 7940HS with Radeon RX 7700S
Memory - BYO thinking of either 32 or 64gb
Storage Primary and Secondary - BYO WD 2tb
OS - Primary: Fedora 40 and Secondary - Windows
Black Bezel with Black spacers
Expansion Cards: 4 x USB-C, 1 x HDMI, 1 x Audio Jack

5 Likes

So Excited!!!

Looks like Batch 19 is starting to get their prep e-mails, so we’re up next (hopefully not too late into next week).

For my config:
System: Ryzen™ 7 7840HS
Expansion Bay Module: Graphics Module (AMD Radeon™ RX 7700S)
Keyboard: US English
Laptop Bezel: Framework Laptop 16 Bezel - Black
Power Adapter Region: US / CA
Spacer: Framework Laptop 13 Spacer - Black x2
Expansion Cards: USB-C x4, USB-A x1, HDMI x1
RAM: Kingston FURY Impact 64GB (2x32GB) 5600MT/s DDR5 CL40
SSD 2280: Planning on the WD BLACK 4TB SN850X or SAMSUNG 990 PRO 4TB, whichever is cheaper when we get our prep e-mails.
SSD 2230: Planning on the WD BLACK 2TB SN770M

I bought the RAM from Amazon on May 12th, I should have waited. Hoping the RAM doesn’t have any issues when our units arrive since I may be up against the return window.

1 Like

I wonder if we will get the updated webcam…? Or if it is even compatible?

BATCH 19 GOT THEIR EMAILS WE ARE GONNA GET OURS NEXT WEEKKKK FOR SURE since they don’t work over weekends.

2 Likes

wait there is an updated webcam?

Yes on the Core Ultra Framework 13 that is open for preorder now and shipping in August.