FW16 Batch 3 Guild

As I recall, there is also a setting in Rufus (the tool Framework recommends for creating installation media for windows) to disable the account requirement for fresh windows 11 installs. Even if not though, there are several ways to work around it that I’ve done in the past, with varying levels of annoyance.

Also, my shipping notice just came in! Very excited.

I saw a youtube video on that awhile ago.
But try these.
https://www.startpage.com/do/dsearch?q=remove+microsoft+account+on+win+10+11

Also, I would back up all your files etc to a thumb drive or whatever, just in case…

I’ve seen how to do it on a few different videos. From what I remember the main point is making sure it can’t connect to the internet (no ethernet or Wi-Fi). The link @OperationCWAL provided should work (I think I’ve read that one before). It’s not a hard requirement, but Microsoft has made it as difficult as they can to make people get a Microsoft account.

Got my batch 3 today, assembly was super smooth, except for this one color spacer which has the pin pad installed backwards, so the system doesn’t see it as connected at boot. Only did a quick search but couldn’t find any other cases of this online. Opened a support ticket for it but just noting it here.

EDIT: The assembly was reversible with those two bottom screws, it looked glued on at the top at first. Issue is fixed now.

7 Likes

Does it work installed upside down?

It physically fits, but since the pin pads are no longer aligned to the pogo pins on the mid plane, when the machine boots, it doesn’t recognize it as installed, and the “input modules missing” screen appears during boot (which can be bypassed).

1 Like

Looks like you should be able to unscrew it then flip it and put the screw back in.

3 Likes

Nailed it. Pulled one, booted up after a short delay. Messed around a bit, put the other back in, another short delay, boot. This is the G.Skill F5-5600S4040A32GX2-RS 64GB (2x32GB) kit, for reference.

Currently struggling trying to get Windows 10 to run, both for activation reasons and kinda being a holdout on 11 where I can. I didn’t want Windows at all, but I think it’s gonna be worth it to run Davinci Resolve with the least problems.

Installed the Windows 11 driver pack to get wifi to work, installing Windows updates, but still no life from the keyboard, only the numpad. Weird. Actually, keyboard doesn’t seem to work in BIOS either. Hmmm…

Update: Keyboard only works if it’s on the right (numpad to the left), a configuration I’ll never be OK with. Furthermore, in that configuration, now the numpad doesn’t work. The keyboard also won’t work if it’s in the center, though I don’t have spacers and while it does let me boot, maybe that’s a complication. Either way, so far it seems the left 2 sets of input contacts just don’t work? Please let that not be the case…

Update 2: Turns out the ribbon cable from the mid-plate to the mobo had gotten tugged a little loose, probably from the first time I opened it up and did not notice that I had to disconnect that cable. Yes, they label that #1 and the screws start at #2, but I thought I had just missed a screw and if I lifted on the plate, I’d find it. Never underestimate the stupidity of your customers. Typed from my apparently fully functional FW16.

Update 3: Ok, not fully functional. My secondary SSD (the 2230) isn’t visible. It was when installing Windows, but not since. Guess I’m waiting on that BIOS update…

Update 4: Nevermind, just forgot to initialize the disk. It remains to be seen if it disappears. Not a huge deal for now, it’s just going to act as an inter-OS storage drive while the main 2280 holds both (all?) my desired OS’s.

2 Likes

You’re right, the assembly could be easily flipped back with the screws. It looked glued to the top assembly at first but issue resolved now.

Still, interesting manufacturing escape.

2 Likes

What do these spacers do? I couldn’t figure out what they were so I didn’t order them, but I’m very curious.

They have no functionality, they just look nice. (And they tell the firmware that all the input modules are installed, which allows booting to proceed normally.)

2 Likes

Quite an odd issue. Framework ought to comment on it sometime soon.

Glad a B8 user with a sharp eye could help i was KINDA worried it would be glued but at same time Framework seems Very ANTI Kragle

1 Like

I respect the Rocky Horror Picture Show reference :grinning:

1 Like

After almost 4 days of being stuck in Guangzhou, China, it finally seems to be moving again. The estimated delivery still shows as Wednesday, but probably will get delayed one day.

I was so afraid it was lost or damaged because at least 5 other tracking numbers close to mine (also framework laptops destined towards France/Germany) all had arrived in Europe 2 days ago.

I wanted to share it just in case someone else gets the same issue in future.

1 Like

I was like “why even update each day” but then remembered id lose my shit if my package just didnt update for 4 days, so its probably a good thing they did that

Payment taken. I’m getting a bit excited now…

1 Like

Just got my batch 3! sadly, I am having issues with the keyboard…

1 Like

I just got mine. I’m having issues with my keyboard and touchpad. I can’t even install Windows because I can’t seem to get it to work. I tried different position combinations and nothing has worked so far. Red somewhere removing the expansion slots fix it. I tried that and did not solve anything.

Just got my the charge on my card. Excited to see it shipped!

Update: Just got the shipping notification. Looks like delay was ~4hrs from charge to email.

1 Like