FW16 Batch 3 Guild

Check the mid-plate side of the ribbon cable that connects the mid-plate to the motherboard. I found it to be rather fragile and easy to dislocate, especially in a case where you’re trying to open up the laptop and forget to unplug that cable. That was the cause of my keyboard not working. Getting it properly seated on both ends fixed it.

1 Like

Sadly, that wasn’t it. Disconnected and reconnected multiple times. I even checked that the slot was properly connected. One thing to point out is that my touchpad came with a slight wrap. It’s noticeable when it’s connected. The left side is lifted a little.

Do you have a picture of that?

And please note the canfigurations mentioned here Possible Input Module combinations on Framework Laptop 16

Did you get it to work? It should be doable.

The touchpad itself, or the aluminum plate around it? Mine was warped as well. Both corners were lifted up, making it kind of a hazard honestly with those sharp edges. This aluminum is THIN! I’m not at all surprised by all the complaints about this. It’s so easy to bend and warp, I bet this thing is gonna look like hell in a few years! That also means it’s easy enough to shape by hand, so I managed to gently, gradually bend my corners back down.

All the input deck signals go through that cable so since you’re having trouble with both, I gotta imagine it’s somewhere along that path. Do they work at all? Backlight, any individual keys or clicks? Or just totally dead? Hopefully something didn’t get damaged on the board level. Presumably it was tested and working at the factory.

I did. It turned out to be a user error. I had accidentally loosened the cable and disconnected the input contacts on the left side. Reseating that cable fixed everything.

3 Likes

Apparently FedEx didn’t have my street number, even though I definitely supplied it in the following format:
“XXXX Straße YY
Z”
Where Y and Z are numeric.
Now either FedEx printing messed up with the german “ß” and everything after that got jumbled (even amazon does that plenty), or the second row numeric confused them.
So if you’re in a similar situation, maybe be extra careful and explicit.
Hopefully will be getting it tomorrow anyway, FedEx contact person that called me was nice and professional.

I do actually

Hopefully, you can see it. I placed the spacers next to it for comparison.

In my recent reply, I posted some images of the touchpad next to the spacers.

Do they work at all? Backlight, any individual keys or clicks? Or just totally dead?

Dead dead :sob:. No backlight or keys or clicks. If I connect a keyboard externally that works, but pressing the cap lock or any other key that lights up when enabled doesn’t light up on the detachable keyboard.

I also noticed this other thing, one of the keyboard spacers seems like it’s missing the gold connectors. Here are some images:

Regardless of which side I place it, It’s not getting picked up. The other one works. On the screen that checks the modules, the one that displays after booting, the one that’s missing the connector doesn’t show up

:astonished:
Ummm…well that’s hard to argue with! Boy, how the heck did that get through QA? I hope it didn’t create a short that damaged something which is why none of your inputs work, though the detection sounds like it’s still working so maybe not. Have you tried without that one at all? Maybe it’s not a dangerous short, but enough to kill the IO signals?

It looks like a lack of quality control. It’s not the first post about quality issues. I even found one YT video with Batch 1 Initial Impressions, check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NBfhv37EoA

Looks like it was just assembled incorrectly… Saw that in some other thread as well. You should be able to disassemble the spacer and the contacts will likely be on the flip side…

How this got past QA is anybody’s guess, but excrement occurs.

3 Likes

I’ve tried booting with and without any of the spacers(keyboard or touchpad), and it’s the same problem. I had to connect an external keyboard just to install the OS.

I opened a support case for the warped touchpad and that one spacer. Will keep y’all posted.

2 Likes

The spacer has 2 screws holding the board on with the contacts and you should be able to flip the board. Then screw back down. Obviously the gold contacts should be down.

My package was shipped on 1st of March, but is now delayed for the second time with scheduled delivery for tomorrow. Anyone else in the same situation?

Mine was shipped on March 5th (local time), due to be delivered to the UK on the 8th … but a strange trajectory so far!
Taiwan > Philippines> China > UK > India.

Mine (also UK) shipped the 6th, but it’s taking a similar route : Taiwan → Philippines → China → India → UAE

there obviously is a problem with your keyboard spacer, but as others have suggested, maybe you can fix it by disassembly and “looking for” the pins?

another thing to consider is the firmware package from Framework. I also had some issues with my keyboard getting recognized until I installed the Firmware and driver bundle, which completely resolved it.

Mine is taking the same route, possibly in the same batch to the UK.

After a few minutes snooping on FlightRadar24 … I reckon it’s on a 777 freighter over Saudi Arabia on the way to Paris about now.

1 Like

Lol, the thing has to be real good for people to stalk their packages this detailed!

I’ll probably also be checking the tracking every few hours.