FW16 Batch 6 Guild

Saw on the batch teack someones batch 7 might arrive quicker then 6 to the uk :melting_face:

In the Midwest US I got my shipping notification just passed midnight on March 27th and FedEx has me signing for it the morning of March 28th. Very quick shipment.

What are the differences between the WiFi card you added and the one it came with?

No shipping for me today, but given the timeline it will most probably be shipped tomorrow.

2 Likes

I was wondering this too.

Only major difference I know of is that Windows Installer supports the Intel AX210, but not the AMD RZ616 yet, which means offline only install with the RZ616 until you install Framework drivers.

There are some performance trade-offs once installed, but on the whole there is not much difference. I’ve seen anecdotal evidence that Intel is more stable for Wi-Fi 5/6 especially moving through a building and changing access points, and AMD moreso for 6E and Bluetooth. YMMV.

Edit, another thread on it here in FW13:

Intel AX210 vs. AMD (MediaTek) RZ616 on an AMD Framework - Framework Laptop 13 - Framework Community

Further Edit: first post on my FW16 :smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah that is quite a lot. I hope that includes insurance.

Mine’s out for delivery today, so the question now is will they leave it on my doorstep or not (I’m not at home - I didn’t think to have it delivered to the office, regrettably). I may go home early today…

shipping in bulk and palletized based on final location can reduce cost greatly. wouldn’t be surprised if their cost is 1/2 or less that amount. I know when I worked for a huge company that shipped tons of packages FedEx at one time offered employees of that company 40% off personal packages up to 3 a week.

Arrived at work today yay!!

All set up now. I had a delay when it wouldn’t boot to BIOS - it just showed the red/blue flashing LED, but after re-seating the RAM it booted up ok (thank goodness).
I went with the Rufus USB install, and offline Win11 install (since once online it updated everything anyway).

1. Love the screen & resolution, great for 3D CAD (tested it quickly with Fusion 360 - before installing SW)
    Update - Solidworks & Visualize 2023 now up and running no issue
  2. Speakers sounded good to me.
  3. No complaints with fan noise - in use I always tends to max out cooling no matter the machine - but this is quieter than what I am used to.
  4. Build quality was great - considering the multitude of parts that can be fastened and unfastened - and though one of my spacers next to the trackpad was slightly warped (0.2mm), and can move laterally about 0.3mm - I’m more than happy with the overall fit and finish, given tolerances involved.

Now just need to get a bag / sleeve for it all.
Samsonite Guardit 2.0 Bailhandle 17.3", will add MAPBAGRAG sleeve later

5 Likes

LOL, somehow mine went from being out for delivery in a suburb a few kilometres from my house, to being back in Botany 300km away. Singing too-ra-li oo-ra-li addity…

Hey all, just gonna add a poll to see where everyone is at now with their order

• preorder confirmed
  • preparing batch email
  • charged
  • shipped
  • arrived
0 voters

Pretty much all of Batch 6 orders should be either shipped right now. Please send me a DM if you are Batch 6 and have an issue.

5 Likes

I’m replying to you on it! Got it Friday, though FedEx pulled some typical BS, still much faster than many it seems.

2 Likes

Fortunately, my order arrived late Friday. Had to look at the box and admire its contents until my 2230 drive and RAM arrived from Newegg. Showed up today (Monday).

Installed both drives, RAM and rearranged the spacers a little to get them to sit a little more flush on the laptop.

Luckily I had a USB-C Hub that Windows auto-recognizes (WavLink I think) ethernet port on it. Surprisingly, only the rear left port would power the USB-C Hub and the laptop. The Network port kept resetting itself when it was plugged into the middle left port.

TL:dr
Originally tried the 60W Framework charger with the hub and it powered the laptop ok but the hub kept resetting.

Elected to try the 180W Framework charger with the USB-C hub (though the thought went across my mind that it might be too much power for the hub; rolled the dice and miraculously no smoke escaped) Kept resetting the ethernet port on the hub though, powered everything down, changed it to the rear left port and it came to life with the FW16 like it was no problem.

My old Win11 USB installed in record time and I did not have to the the offline account install. Took way longer to fiddle with everything tonight, now I need to sack out to wake up in 5.5 hours for work. Thanks for the hard work getting things pushed along.

Rick.

6 Likes

Mines listed as being out for delivery today :upside_down_face:

Now to stare at the road outside all day :rofl:

Same, I’m at work so I’ll have to wait until I get home to play with it :roll_eyes:

Woohoo, just shipped :partying_face: :partying_face:
Expected for Friday, I can’t wait to get my hands on it !!!

1 Like

Hooray, mine arrived 2 minutes before I got home from work. Luckily I had my Dad waiting in for it :laughing:

1 Like

Sorry – been working heads down for a few days.

@Keith_Andreano @Igby The initial reasoning was equally to workaround the missing drivers in the Windows 11 setup and because I have a somewhat irrational distaste for MediaTek anything. (@Wolf_Trabeitt’s post does overlap nicely with my “justifications” though).

Separately I also wanted the setup account to be a non-MSA account … sooooooo I really didn’t need to workaround the missing drivers since the non-MSA workflow involves both bypassing the network and then disabling the adapters during setup. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Still dislike MediaTek though.

Wonderful, FedEx stole/lost my FW16…
Last 3-4 times they were the ones delivering, I never received anything.