Graphics issues in Linux (openSUSE)

For whatever reason I am having several minor, odd issues, that add up and become annoying at times.

When electron apps are in use, my system just randomly locks up from time to time, and then comes back after 15-30 seconds.

For whatever reason when I plug in an external display via the HDMI module, I frequently fail to get an output on my external display. The only “fix” I have found is to keep rebooting the machine until I finally get an output on the external display again.

One electron app I used called Cider, frequently fails to open, and when it finally does, there is a very slim chance you will be able to play anything, and if you can, a lot of the time there’ll be no audio. The only “fix” I have found, is to continuously restart the app until it finally works. I had issues like this with Cider on my old machine, but they were very mild in comparison, happening very infrequently, with the only issue that ended up happening most of the time being the app would fail to launch from time to time, and you would have to try running it again. After you tried to open it for the second time, it usually ended up working fine on my old machine.

Wayland is quite a bit worse off than it was on my old machine. On my old machine, all I got was some graphical glitches from time to time. With my Framework, I don’t really get those graphical glitches anymore, but I get issues that I never had on my old machine. Like menus opening in the wrong location, or even on the wrong monitor, and elements with rounded corners have a blurry boarder around them with sharp corners. I had my old machine plugged into the same external display my framework is plugged into. The only difference between the two is my old machine’s screen didn’t need to be scaled, only my external monitor. Whereas with the Framework, I need to scale both of my displays, and to different scales. My Framework’s screen is set to 160% and my monitor 120%.

Do 12th gen Intel XE iGPUs still have issues in Linux that need to be ironed out still?

System info: Operating System: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20221024
KDE Plasma Version: 5.26.1
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.99.0
Qt Version: 5.15.6
Kernel Version: 6.0.3-1-default (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Processors: 16 × 12th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-1240P
Memory: 15.3 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® Graphics
Manufacturer: Framework
Product Name: Laptop (12th Gen Intel Core)
System Version: A4
My external monitor is 27 inches 1440p
The electron app Cider is installed as a native RPM package
The other electron app I have called Todoist, is installed as a flatpak. Unlike Cider, Todoist only has the minor freezing issue

If there is anything else you would like me to provide please, tell me, as well as how to provide it.

1 Like