Yet another guy with HDMI issues

I am using openSUSE on my framework, and have been having HDMI issues, I thought at first it was simply linux having issues with 12th gen graphics, but I don’t think it is. Switching the module to a new location seems to have fixed things, soo idk what the issue is really. Should I contact support?

Sys info:

Operating System: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20221024
KDE Plasma Version: 5.26.1
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.99.0
Qt Version: 5.15.6
Kernel Version: 6.0.3-1-default (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Processors: 16 × 12th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-1240P
Memory: 15.3 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® Graphics
Manufacturer: Framework
Product Name: Laptop (12th Gen Intel Core)
System Version: A4

While it does work in other ports, KDE ends up crashing and restarting every time I plug/unplug my monitor, closing everything.

1 Like

I get the feeling every Framework person should also buy a USB-C to HDMI cable to put in their bag.

I have. It works.

1 Like

@Jason_Dagless

When I put my laptop together before shipment, I didn’t think there would be issues with the HDMI module, so I didn’t think ahead and buy 2 USB C modules instead of a USB C and HDMI. I also use my Framework as my desktop by “docking it”, so I like to have it plugged in while also using an external display. With the module set I currently have, that’s not possible. I know I could by a USB C dongle with HDMI on it so I could charge and have display out through one port, but that’s a little messy in my opinion. The most ideal situation would be to go USB C into my monitor, which it supports, but my monitor’s power supply definitely can’t provide my and laptop with sufficient power over the monitor’s USB C port . My monitor does use an external power supply though. Maybe if the external power supplies used by monitors these days are a standard thing, I could buy a new power adapter for my monitor. One that has a barrel jack in for my monitor, and then some sort of USB C setup, where one end of the setup goes into my laptop as a display out/power in connection, and the other side goes into my monitor’s USB C port as a display connection. Or if I am over complicating things with that setup I just described, then maybe I could just buy a new power adapter for my monitor that can supply a sufficient amount of power over the USB C port, while powering the monitor at the same time. I am just under the impression that my monitor may not be able to handle an adapter that supplies more power into the monitor than the stock one does.

Neither did we.

Having said that, we seem to have a happy path: Business Use - #10 by Chris_Padfield

In essence, use TB docks…and everything else plug into the dock, desktop replacement use case.

I’m hoping to see other potential happy paths…(e.g. on-the-go, road warrior…etc)

You could try sending a message to support, worst thing they can say is that they can’t help you, but they may be able to send out a replacement HDMI module, or even help you get another USB-C module. If you can wait, the HDMI module is going to get a firmware update in the future, which is primarily going to help with power draw, but may end up fixing your issues as well.

1 Like

Hi @Linus_Guglielmo, I’d be happy to help.

Based on everything I’m reading here, especially regarding the switching of locations for the module seeming to produce a different result…I concur with @Azure - reach out to support about the module behavior as this sounds like hardware to me.

As for KDE crashing, I’d need to see the logs - but this may be Wayland not liking the change of state from two to one display. I’m speculating without logs of course.

2 Likes