Hard Freezes and LiveKernel Event in FW16

Hello. Today after a few weeks using the FW16 I’ve found it today completely frozen. Running Windows 11 the mouse would move but no click would react until it froze as well. This is the second time it has happened, the first time happening on an MXLinux live usb boot.
Here’s the data of my order:

• Framework 16 Batch 4 with dGPU
  • System: Ryzen™ 7 7840HS
  • Storage: WD_BLACK™ SN770 NVMe™- M.2 2280 - 1TB
  • Memory: DDR5-5600 - 32GB (2 x 16GB)

I believe it is pretty much like this thread Random hard freezes fw13 amd7840u win11

Checking the Windows event logs, there are a lot of “Windows Error Reporting” logs with the “Event Name” being “LiveKernelEvent” that generate dumps that have the filename “AMD_WATCHDOG”. I can provide the dump files to a FW engineer if they’d like to check them.

I’m quite sure this issue has only ocurred on instances where I’ve left the laptop running for a long time without input. Perhaps something to do with processors states are screwing up the laptop’s wake up? Once the laptop is frozen it responds every 20 seconds or so, either updating its screen or moving or reacting to clicks but it does not seem to be able to recover by itself without a force power off. According to the windows logs the laptop could have been on this locked out state for at least 2 hours while I was having dinner.

Bios is up to date with the release from a few days ago. The laptop froze with MXLinux before the BIOS update and froze on Win 11 with the latest BIOS.

Hopefully we can follow this further.

from another thread I posted too although I’m using Linux (Arch Linux) only

Gotcha, I’ll see if by any chance updating the HDD firmware will work. I still think there is something funky going on with sleep states honestly. I plan to get another HDD for linux hopefully that will help nailing down the issue.

I was reading at other places people were having issues with the SN770 and SN770M when it came to s2idle and system just freezing.

Since that update, no freezes

1 Like