Hardware known to not work on framework V1, must be fixed on V2 (12th gen)

Agree. Someone will have to see if this has been implemented on the 12th gen board.

2 Likes

I’ll say it more clearly this time. I was not referencing the Intel silicon bug with my previous post, but a hypothetical situation. I was only trying to use this hypothetical situation to prove that these “corner cases” are very important for some people.

1 Like

Whilst that is clearly true it doesn’t follow that any such case let alone, all as :-
" Hardware known to not work on framework V1, must be fixed " which is the subject of this topic

1 Like

Hinge doesn t seem to be fixed. ANd this will not work with touch screen upgrade :frowning:

• one of the reviewer had a broken screen… And I suppose framework has been testing a lot those unite before review…

I wonder what you mean. I have the V1(Gen 11) and the hinge is fine, it doesn’t need a fix. Maybe you have a faulty hinge which official support can help you with.

That image you posted is a bit weird. The hinge is absolutely ‘strong’ enough it isn’t going to break. There is/was an issue that some had a low threshold and the screen would not support it’s own weight when over a certain angel, but I said support will fix that,

The new stiffer hinge means there may not be the option to open with one hand, so that furthers the option on how stiff it may be.

The so called cons on your image, are irrelevant to the this topic. That there are no other screen options is not a ‘Hardware known not to work’ and there never was any indication that alternate screens would be available to ‘upgrade’ to.

Do you have a problem with your Framework?

1 Like

likewise, i have a 11th gen and no problems with the hinge, it seems like it’s been more of a personal preference of people. unless, of course, it’s actually broken.

1 Like

What I mean, is that notebookcheck who is reviewing many laptops, is saying the hinge seems to be à problème compared to other products in its pro class.
This website is pretty serious and delivers acurate testing. I would prefer thembsaying the build seems even stronger than a thinkpad…than the hinge are bad… It just coroborates the many complains here…
Again we are talkingn of a laptop in its class… If I buy a 200€ lap I can imagine it breaking sooner.
Hinge on pro laptop like thinkpads is one of the part the most tested. So yes it s a real concern even for the current professionnal laptop providers

this is what returns are for, if it doesn’t work for you you give it back

1 Like

Think there are multiple ways to look at this hinge issue:

1. There was a quality escape issue, with a particular batch IIRC. Has there been QC improvement changes made going forward to minimize the chance of this from happening? AND is it actually improving the outcome (this needs actual stats)? i.e. Fixing hardware outcome by process change. (Handling in assembly stage)
  2. Framework Support also changed the bar / criteria for hinge replacement. Has this criteria been updated into the QC process change.

In either case, the ‘fix’ is not on the spec / design of the hardware, but fix of process (QC step) and QC bar…which will align the hardware that lands in customers’ hands with what’s in design spec.

Also, note that it’s not clear to the public how this QC step is carried out to validate against this QC bar. On paper, the spec is on the hinge itself. However, the warranty replacement with Framework Support is against the assembled outcome behaviour of the laptop as a whole. So, at the factory, are they checking against the hinge itself, or the laptop as a whole?

@Iann_C I think you raises valid points/concerns. The current hinges will not work with a future touchscreen upgrade and for some they are too loose and clearly for others not.

@Amoun @marco the 3.3 kg hinges can be 2.8 kg or 3.8 kg while in spec. have you considered you might have ones that are closer to 3.8 kg rather than it just being a case of personal preferences? Have you measures the force needed to move your screens?

Or maybe this why they made a 4.0KG hinge!

2 Likes

So true. I would think that 2.8kg vs 3.8kg would have some perceivable differences in user experience.

Edit / Add: Question - Why isn’t there a tighter tolerance? Cost, initial funding. But we’re now into 2nd year…can’t this be improved with a tighter tolerance?

2 Likes

There are no reports of the hinge breaking, I have said this before.

You are reading a biased report, as all are. The issue with the hinges has been explained, if you get a ‘soft’ one you can return the whole laptop or get a replacement hinge etc.

@Usernames I’m aware of the range and of course I may have one at 3.8Kg.

Yes I have measured the force required and it takes 0.5Kg to lift the lid, then it gets stiffer to a max of 0.8Kg. So with two hinges that’s between 1 and 1.6Kg. Maybe my scales are a bit of but not by more than 10%.

The whole laptop weights around 1.3Kg. If you hold it by the lid the bottom will drop slowly, so if all weight were in the main part then the hinges almost holds 1.3Kg which means each hinge only needs to hold 0.65Kg, much the same as my weighing measurements.

Well there’s a difference between a ‘cooling off’ period and a faulty hinge.

The new V2 comes with the same hinge, so clearly the general idea is that they work fine.

The 4Kg does not allow one hand opening, for those that don’t want it.

The laptop is sold as a ‘one hand’ opener, so no, the 4Kg hinge is not made as you suggest.

If there was a common failure in the 3.3Kg then no doubt they would now sell with the 4K but they don’t, it’s a preference. and unlike a touch screen is easy to produce etc.

For the lid, which weighs about 300g max it would only require hinges with a combined ‘stiffness’ of that i.e. 0.15Kg each. So if they were even at the low end of 2.8K or 1.4Kg each then I don’t see the problem.

This didn’t take the centre of mass away from the pivot point into consideration. Specifically horizontal distance. And this changes as the hinge is at different angle while going through the rotation.

I wasn’t able validate my “nominal hinge force” either but like you I measure the force needed to move the screen. Assuming you also used the top of the lid as the measuring point here are my values:

To open 350g to 90 degrees, onwards this drops to 150g then to 50g after ~135 degrees.

To close from flat 375g from 90 degrees it starts at 300g dropping to 75g.

To qualify for a replacement hinge you (originally) need to have it unable to support itself from a 155 degree angle, this margin has been widened but the indication is the screen still needs to fall under it’s own weight.

My screen does not fall under its’t own weight but will move quite easily, is my hinge a 2.8kg and yours a 3.8kg?I have no idea but if that is the case the wide tolerances make the 3.3kg unsuitable.

Because it has been implied the level required to get a replacement from support is falling under it’s own weight I mention the 4.0kg hinge as an option to those who don’t meet that requirement and want a more stiff hinge overall.

1 Like

Yes about the same. Are you OK with that ?

If I only move the screen by the front edge there is no horizontal difference and anyway how would the horizontal distance change by degree of opening? ??

You stated:

That’s the scenario.

In the second scenario (“move the screen by the front edge”)…the vector of the torque you provide to pivot the screen changes. (For example, if there’s no friction on the feet, you wouldn’t been able to turn that past 90 degrees.

In the first scenario, the vector of gravity doesn’t change.

1 Like

Above I understood 500g peaking at 800g force to move the lid my lid peaks at half that so I don’t think they are similar at all.

I’m not ok with such a low force required to push it over. Every time I pick it up is falls a bit, shake my leg is falls, slowing down on the train hold on tight! It makes for a very non premium feel and is not very practical either unless you use the laptop as a desktop.

1 Like

I had a Framework that would not work with my TV. Framework organised for me to send it back.

Now I have a bill from FedEx Express for ÂŁ152.61 for the return!

Not a pleasant experience and an unpleasant return…

The only useful thing that may come of it is if you name the TV and model and how you connected to the TV

It could do with it’s own topic as it will get hidden here.

All the best

Where did you have to send it from and which batch and setup did you have?

2 Likes