Have you upgraded your 11th Gen DIY to 12th or 13th Gen?

I am looking for experiences for Windows users who have upgraded their mainboards from 11th gen to Intel 12th or 13th generation boards. My partner and I both have 11th gen core i5 DIY models (they have a batch 1, and I think mine is batch 5), and the standby battery life is our primary annoyance since we both have other primary computers.

• Do the 12th and 13th gen boards have the same issues with the BIOS battery drain?
  • How about about standby battery life on a ‘regular’ unmodified Windows 11 install?

I tweaked my settings when I was running Windows 10 and then later did an in-place upgrade to Windows 11, so my battery life and standby time is pretty good (aside from the BIOS battery issue). Honestly I am not confident I could replicate all of the tweaks I made and apply them to my partner’s machine so I’m curious what the ‘out-of-the-box’ experience might be like.

I know Windows 11 is required for the later boards, and I’ve already accounted for that.

Any information on the two items I mentioned about would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I when from 11th to 13th i5 mainboard. 90 minutes took me to upgrade, don’t forget to move the RTC battery to the upgrade. What happen to me may not happen to you, had buy a new digital license for Windows 11 Home. If I stay with 4 core processor, it’s free. I think 12 core processor the do not cross this line. My last purchase was at midnight release of Windows Vista. Have not seen odd battery drain, I do not use standby function. Putting software in efficiency mode help the drain but it can be a issue. Best of luck with your next journey.

1 Like