HDMI controller board for display panel

0.5 Pitch I PEX 40Pins 20453 040T to 20453 040T Pure copper coaxial line connector with buckle 40Pin to 40P 4K eDP Screen Cable|Computer Cables & Connectors| - AliExpress worked. Several others that I ordered turned out to either be 30-pin or 0.4 pitch, neither of which are suitable for this purpose.

6 Likes

Awesome @Matt_Harris - sadly those specific cables cannot be delivered to Germany. But basically all I would need would be eDP, 40 pin, 0.5 pitch and 1:1 connected (so not one connector reversed or something?).
Thanks! :slight_smile:

I’d expect so. I strongly recommend also looking for locking connectors on both ends.

1 Like

I ordered the following:

Going to replace the lcd cover to the CNC one and hinges to the 4kg ones, so I will repurpose the old lcd cover and hinges to build an external monitor.

3 Likes

Neat! Looking forwards to it!

My controller and panel have arrived, I used some old scrap PCB stencil protector (“wood”) and some 3D printed brackets to fix it in place.

STL file for the clamps and some infos here: Sounding Rocket Service Module Simulator - #18 by nmaas87

4 Likes

@nrp For the type c board is it possible to have it reversed?

what I mean is if I am using the mainboard as an external PC but I just bought the mainboard alone. so to save a port on the mainboard I would use a flipped version of the USB type c adapter board

I really appreciate any help you can provide.
-Even

1 Like

Hey @Awesome4all_Gaming - what about just using a female to female usb c adapter? ( https://www.amazon.de/aceyoon-Kupplung-Verbindung-Synchronisation-Kompatibel-OTG-Type-C-Buchse-auf-Adapter-x-3/dp/B07PB94PMR/ref=asc_df_B07PB94PMR/?tag=googshopde-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=308803326683&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2681978099732925138&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9044666&hvtargid=pla-696767726371&psc=1&th=1&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=63180589404&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=308803326683&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2681978099732925138&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9044666&hvtargid=pla-696767726371 ). So you can extend the reach of the board? I don’t think the aliexpress shop will manufacture a usb c plug version of the board any time soon. also you can get extension leads, meaning usb c plug (for plugging into the mainboard) with an female usb c plug which you can then plug into the display. Both ways the USB C connector on the mainboard will be able to provide the Display Port signal as well as the power needed if you use a beefy enough powersupply. ( I am still waiting for th USB c version of the converter and bought this as well right now as I don’t think the reversed plug version will come any time soon)

1 Like

Also fair warning, I bought the Display Port converter board of the provided aliexpress link ( Nvarcher DP zu EDP 4k 120HZ DIY4K fahrer bord 4K 2K 1080 adapter board Für Tragbare display|Ersatzteile & Zubehör| - AliExpress ) from the “Made in China” store.

The board works however

a) They did not sent the pictured board with the rounded 0.5mm cable, but a flat 0.5mm cable:

This will make it a lot harder to integrate this into a display. I contacted the store but the person just outright refused to send the pictured, rounded cable meaning “it works, so no problems” - not even wanting to acknowledge that this is not the product that has been pictured for sale. I opened a claim at Aliexpress, as a rounded cable costs additional 14 euros (and it should have been included instead of a flat one) - but the seller tries to just wiggle out of the situation, so be warned that this might also happen to you

b) this board has no OSD / on screen menu, it only has a power on/off button and a brightness setting (like 5-6 levels up and down)

c) the board does not save the brightness level, it will always power on at the highest level, which is frustrating if you enclose it in a way where the minature buttons are not accessible.

The board works technically (and I am not wanting to refer any blame to anyone on the forums here, not at all, I am extremely happy and thankful for your help and would not come so far, so thank you!!! :slight_smile: ) - but I want people to be aware of both the shortcomings of this board design and the sellers attitude towards customers, so you can make an informed decision. I also bought the USB C converter board and waiting for it to arrive to test it as well :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’d like to know if it’s possible to use a similar board for a mini HDMI display as follows:

eDP on mainboard → eDP to HDMI controller → HDMI display

There’s a variety of mini HDMI displays on AliExpress but they all use a controller board where both input and output are HDMI. Would like to see if there is one with a eDP input so I can spare one USB and not use a more bulky USB-to-HDMI adapter.

Although, if push comes to shove I might just remove the plastic housing from one of these USB adapters and then properly tape it to prevent contact with other electronic components.

2 Likes

Got back home a few hours ago and both my hinge upgrade + CNC top cover and Aliexpress parts were in. Also ordered a new bezel and have repurposed the old top cover + hinges and bezel for my external monitor. The Aliexpress parts I ordered are the following:

Display (similar to the one in the laptop, just a bit cheaper than the Framework one, but doesn’t have mounting for screws does include adhesive)

Cable 40 pin 0.5cm pitch round with locks, not super long, but long enought imo

USB-C controller board

The current result looks like this:

Now I need to 3d print/build with lego/make of wood some encasing for the controller board (it gets quite hot when the display is 100% brightness) and something to attach the hinges to and make it stand.

13 Likes

Super cool. Next step: someone needs to develop a board that connects the Webcam module too over the same USB-C connector!

9 Likes

Just a small update, the small display on the USB-C controller board just completely burned out for me. It caused a smell and got really hot so be careful when leaving the controller board unattended, I don’t think I will use it again before having a 3D printed enclosure for it and desoldering the small display.

4 Likes

Oh no! Hope you didn’t get hurt!

Does the board still work without the display?

1 Like

Yes it does still work it seems, I didn’t get hurt as I just immediately unplugged it as soon as I noticed it.

2 Likes

Ah damn! @Gregor_Schram you put me on the right path… I noticed that the small OLED somehow had lifted from the board after some usage. I thought this was due to bad glue and just added some epoxy, glued it down again and ok. Then after some testing, it became lose again. I really will need to see how warm it is getting, because if it becomes too hot, this will definitely be the reason why it became lose on two occasions … Maybe they are applying too much power to the OLED, would need to check…

1 Like

yes for me this was also the case, but it was already that way from the factory but indeed they might be overpowering it.

I tried it with mine but even after one hour it did not get warm at all. My board is directly attached via a short (20 cm) USB cable to the Framework Laptop and I am using the display at maximum brightness. However, this test of mine does NOT prove that there is no problem with the board. Obviously @Gregor_Schram had issues and this should be taken seriously. However, it is still to be seen whether this is due to an actual design flaw of the board or if this was a one-off problem. It could have been that there was some solder bridge as these boards are not built to highest standards, so for everyone getting a new one it might be interesting to check all connections and the overall board for solderbridges and other issues :). Thanks again Gregor for reporting :slight_smile:

1 Like

What is the reasoning for needing a new cable instead of the one provided with the display that ships with a Framework kit?

@lamp The cable included with the Framework Laptop has a a custom pinout, not a “straight” connection. While it is possible that the “Display end” of the Framework cable could just be plugged into the named module and could work, it is not described which pinout exactly the module uses - so you could basically risk frying the module and your Framework Laptop. Hence it would be needed to carefully check the pinout and maybe need to manufacture your own cabling to make up for potential discrepancies in the custom pinout of the Framework Laptop eDP connector and the module.

1 Like