High Battery Drain During Suspend (Windows edition)

Interesting. Maybe it’s the HDMI card power draw seen by others? Can you try with all but HDMI attached?

So @RadomUser did you see what kind of sleep battery drain you were getting with all of the cards out?

If we can get the Framework to sip power in S0 before hibernation such that we can see 8-12 hours before 5% battery drain that is going to be pretty awesome!

For the record I have 2 USB A, 1 USB C, and 1 250GB SSD.

Just to confirm, this is in sleep/modern standby?

USB-C & USB-A cards are just pass through… No logic is in them.

HDMI & Display Port are adapters, in Windows you can actually see them showing up as that is the USB safe to remove icon. They need power Scotty.

I suspect there is a “do you want power now” type of interrogation done in short busts even when sleeping by NoHwDrips

So looks like the HDMI card is drawing ~0.5Wh during standby. That’s quite a lot.
Sorry misread. So it must be the USB-C and/or -A cards draining that 0.5Wh?

USB-A and USB-C are indeed passive, so they shouldn’t be impacting standby. If you can isolate it to one of those cards being plugged in though, we would be very interested in exploring why that would be.

@RandomUser are those results repeatable? If you re-run with the same configuration of cards does it result in the same high vs low behavior? I am wondering if something else is going in or out of a standby state in different runs.

One thing I’m noticing is that if the laptop is plugged in, charging or full, and you suspend, the device stays warm. I mean if you leave it like this for two days, you’ll come back to it, and it’ll still be warm, like it isn’t even really sleeping.

I don’t know, S0 doesn’t seem to be all that great. I would REALLY prefer the old S3 and hibernation combo I think. When I tried enabling them though, the laptop did not seem to like it much.

Does Tiger Lake just not support S3?

https://old.reddit.com/r/System76/comments/k7xrtz/ill_have_whatever_intel_was_smoking_when_they/gev9mkp/

1 Like

so the official answer there is No. S3 is not supported under Tiger Lake, and and S0 is what we have to work with.

@RandomUser Had the same idea last night and pulled out my Storage (250gb) and USB-A module out (I already leave my HDMI un attached) This morning only lost 5% over the entire night. Pulling out my 1 USB-C and seeing what it does today

Davy_Bell, do you mean that in the morning you lifted the lid and were greeted with the login screen, or did you have to push the power button and start up the machine. If the later, your machine hibernated at 5% battery loss, as it is designed.

The issue being that whether your computer is in standby for an hour or 12 you will loose 5% battery and need to resume from hibernation. (which thankfully is super quick)

I do, and I think it does matter with regard to power drains.

@RandomUser I would expect higher drain with usb-A cards or HDMI as they will enable a few additional subsystems of the laptop whenever they are plugged in and the laptop is on or in suspend. If a usb-c card is attached and no device is plugged into it, the port and associated subsystems will be powered off.

3 Likes

@RandomUser we would need to revisit the power draw from all subsystems and see if there are additional improvements we can implement in firmware. I don’t have enough data yet to determine if that is possible.

7 Likes

fwiw i tried this once and didn’t notice any improvement.

Well, I suppose that makes sense, BUT the issue with network connected is that the intention is to be able to receive updates on anything designed for it and actively polling for things. So while you didn’t see too massive of an improvement with it off, if you had gotten some kind of network activity that triggered activity in sleep while it was still on, your results would have been further impacted.

Personally, I see NO reason for my device to maintain an internet connection while it is supposed to be sleeping. Especially not a wireless one.

I understand it only slept for 4ish hours before flipping into Hibernate. Just sharing some results. I tried again with no cards and had the same results as just USB-C installed.

All my results have been with Network disconnected (I gpedited this on the first day, I dont need email while its asleep :stuck_out_tongue: )

I did do an entire sleep analysis with WPA. If you really want to dive into Modern Standby on Windows, you can go deeper with Windows Performance Analyzer: Get Windows Performance Analyzer - Microsoft Store?

Here is a good article on diving into sleep issues (Using Windows Performance Analyzer to analyze Modern Standby issues | Microsoft Docs)

I still have not tracked down what is the Unknown item, I havent had time to go into the generated data though (I think 15 mins of sleep was 300mb)

*I do have 64GB of ram so I know my numbers wont ever be as good as others per the testing done in another thread.

1 Like

This is rather worrying. My laptop hasn’t shipped yet, but I’m concerned about spending $1800 on a laptop with power issues.

1 Like

I have had my Framework for going on 4 weeks now, and nothing highlighted on this forum has made me ever think about not buying it. I am looking forward to being able to buy another for my better half.

The issues on windows with standby time are being aggressively worked on, AND S0 already has a temp solution using hibernation as part of its function. You loose no more than 5% battery each time you let it sleep. Period.

If you hibernate first you loose none. Period.

It would appear that the problem is software based in nature and so there will be improvements.

On Linux the situation appears to be a little better, but setting up hibernation is a bit of a chore, etc.

I love this laptop. So much that I’m seriously considering selling my workstation.

4 Likes