How Good is the framework for gaming and how reliable is it?

How reliable is the frameork laptop, are the parts easy to break

Not without an eGPU. Even the lowest spec CPU is better than a 7300hq, but even an old mobile 1050 is significantly better than the Iris Xe that comes on the laptop. If you want something that’s basically just a direct performance upgrade to the Acer Nitro 5 with everything else the same, wait for the Gamework/Framework 16. The framework 13 is a slightly different use case.

Very reliable. I’ve been carrying it around daily for over a year and I’ve had no issues. There are a few rare little issues that may pop up within warranty (hinges; melted chip on the board, CPU stuck at 0.39GHz, others that you can find in this forum), but the only real durability issue that can’t be solved by an awareness and quick RMA trigger finger would be the corners (if you drop it, the corners will bend).

The main benefit of a repairable laptop, however, is that when something does break you can order the part and fix it yourself for cheap instead of needing to buy a new laptop when something quits!

1 Like

Would you recommend any cheaper egpu for the framework? Do you u think the Ryzen 5 would have a better igpu

ryzen will have a vastly better igpu than anything intel produces.

Going to drop a link to this thread: Gamework (community benchmarks)

For an idea of what the 11th gen intel was capable of.

Thanks for the suggestion, but most of the games I plan to play aren’t on there

Does anyone have any idea about how powerful the Ryzrn 5 is comared to the intel equivalent

If you look at the current gen 6600u, it is about equal to a little better in cpu performance and a lot better in igpu performance compared to the 13th gen i5 in the framework (according to notebookcheck). It however does so using a lot less power. Given we get a new process node, new core generation and new igpu generation with the 7040 series you can extrapolate it being quite a bit better.

tbh I’d already be happy if the r7 performs as well as a 6800u, however it’ll likely do a lot better.

But isn’t the Ryan mainbord only rated for usb 4.0. Would that be a issue when using egpu?

Thunderbolt 4 is usb4 with all the optionals mandatory and an intel stamp of aproval. The 2 usb4 interfaces in the ryzen soc have the optionals implemented so egpu should not be a problem.

Though the ryzen board will only have 2 usb4 ports (with a dedicated 40gbit uplink to the cpu each) while the intel board has 4 usb4 ports (with each side sharing one 40gbit uplink) so you do need to be more mindfull of what you plug into what port with the ryzen. You do get a much better platform though so that’s a fair trade imo even if I dislike it…

So what about the other 2 ports without the 40gb to the cpu? Any information about their output

Check out the interface section here.

Top left and right are full featured usb4, usb 3.2 with dp on the bottom left and just usb 3.2 on the bottom right. Given the limitations that is weirdly exactly the layout I’d have chosen so I’m pretty happy about that.

1 Like

Intresting, wonder if they will upgrade the 3.2 ports in the future

Do you think that the 16 inch egpu could be used with the 13 inch

Which eGPU? From the expansion bay? No.

Not without the proposed adapter that makes it a standard USB4 eGPU

1 Like

Should I get the Ryzen 5 or the Ryzen 7 for gaming on aaa games and less demanding games such as vanilla Minecraft and roblox

How would they do that? The soc on the ryzen just provides 2 ports, adding more would be expensive and inefficient.

The 7 gets a better igpu and 2 more cores, it is worth the premium to me but you have to make that judgement yourself. Definitely get more bang for your buck that going from the i5 to the i7 on the 13th gen XD. How well the new ones will perform is still unknown but have a look at the 660M and 680M from the current gen ryzens, the relative difference between the 2 tiers is likely to stay somewhat the same.

If they actually end up making the egpu dock that takes expansion bay modules that would likely work with the 13, asuming the use tb or usb4. If you meant if you can use the dgpu module from the 16 in the 13 definitely no.

I thought there were 4 ports on the outside though?