How slow does your framework charge using a phone charger?

Hi everyone!

I got my shiny new DIY edition laptop-first I used an Apple MacBook charging cable and everything worked fine, I guess. Now I took my laptop on a trip and thought I might just my phone charger. It’s a Huawei charger, that outputs about 22,5w (5Vx4,5A) so it should charge as the Framework team stated the laptop can charge even with a 15w charger.
Yesterday I tried charging but the LED didn’t turn on, so I tried out all ports (removed the expansion slots). Then it appeared to freeze at 5% battery but finally the LED turned on. I charged it through the night (approx. 8hours) and today I left it charging for another 5hours). The result: 36% battery (starting at roughly 4%).
So my question is: is this normal? Can I expect such results using a ~20w charger? Or might this be a thing with the charger or even the laptop?

That sounds about right for a 15-20W charger. If the laptop’s in operation it will barely keep the charge up; if it’s asleep or off, it’ll charge it slowly.

People are reporting better results with 45W chargers.

2 Likes

That’s the maximum the charger will provide not what it does provide.

It’s not the power of the charger but the communicated rate which is a product of voltage times amperage.

If the device cannot communicate with the charger, as may be the case for you, then the default can be as low as 5V at 0.5A. So that’s 2.5W per hours ~ that will take 24hours with the laptop not being used.

3 Likes

Thank you two a lot! @amoun @Fraoch
This is really a thing I love about Framework and the community around it. I come here with a stupid question and kind people take the time and patience to answer it almost immediately! It’s really the best forum I know of!

You guessed right Fraoch: in operation the laptop even decharges. And it is calming to hear, that these results are just normal.

Appears like I have to get a decent charger for traveling…

3 Likes

I’ve used a 20 watt phone charger, to boost charge overnight, when off.
And a 30 watt MacBook Air charger,
A 45 watt Samsung charger
And the 65 watt framework charger.

Anything above the 20 watt, was able to boost the charge while using the computer.

I’ll have to try a 25 watt Samsung charger, just to see what happens.

The 25 watt Samsung charger is boosting the charge state slowly, while playing a downloaded video. It got pretty warm while connected.

Something like this should do the trick for travelling:
Anker USB C Charger, 713 Charger (Nano II 45W), GaN II PPS Fast Compact Foldable Charger

And there’s a 65w version, pricier…but faster:
Anker USB C Charger, 715 Charger (Nano II 65W), GaN II PPS Fast Compact Foldable Charger

1 Like

@A_A
I know Anker is quite good but very expensive too so I decided to go with a cheaper option and ordered this charger from BASEUS ( https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08LVJTMLS/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_dl_SW95KKC9RH6R8DGNZ1M9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 ). Any opinions on this one? I heard good feedback about BASEUS as well as furious complaints so idk. Some people stated that UGREEN was faking Amazon ratings and other sketchy stuff. I honestly did never expect buying a charger that challenging so I thought the worst case is that the charger will stop working too soon, or am I wrong?

The worse case has happened you bought a cheap option and are questioning your move. There’s no 'right move.

If charging is the only issue in consuming resources I’d say you are pretty safe in the sense that most people would do what you do it that respect. However most people won’t buy a Framework laptop so I can see you have some hestiation and queries.

Let us know how it goes.

I just bought a Baseus charger (car charger 65W) it couldn’t cope and the retailer, uses one in his car but will not be buying a Baseus again.

So I’m still looking and prepared to give Baseus another shot.

In the region I’m from, 65w & 100w USB C chargers from companies such as Lenovo, HP and Asus are comparable in terms of price. They have relatively fewer complaints than the generic brands available online, and are rated to last for a long time.

I’ve always wondered why people would choose otherwise, is it primarily because of form factor and the fact that they have multiple ports?

PS: In case it reads otherwise, I’m only curious and not placing a value on any choice.

1 Like

As mentioned I’ve found a 16W charger will hold the charge while idle and trickle charge when off.

Better than nothing.

I use a Anker 30W charger for on the go as its small and does fine for charging during standard workloads. The Framework one stays at home.

In my case, yes to both. At the very least, it’s one less cable (the IEC main side) to carry around.

Just saw these…but the two-prong isn’t collapsible:
Lenovo 45W USB-C AC Portable Adapter | Lenovo US

Lenovo 65W USB-C AC Travel Adapter | Lenovo CA

1 Like

@5uie1
Yes, the idea of having one charger plugged directly into the wall, taking it out and being able to charger multiple gadgets on the go is what thrills me about those chargers with multiple ports.

Still considering backing the Volta 200w Giga charger on Indiegogo as the 65w Baseus charger, that I ordered, can only charge my Framework at full speed and the Volta could theoretically charge two laptops, a phone and headphones at once. If anybody has already got their hands on it-please share your experiences!

@amoun Maybe not going with a save, high quality option in the first place will turn out to be the wrong decision but I needed a charger right away so I ok if I wasted a couple of bucks on this one.
Especially as my main concern was my Framework bursting into flames due to an insufficient charger, like the horror stories you read on the Internet.

But I guess as Baseus is one of the bigger Amazon electronic/charger brands and and the absence of concerned Framework users hijacking this post such concerns were exaggerated.

2 Likes

I mistakenly plugged my laptop into my phone cable and only noticed (hours later) when the battery wasn’t charging quick enough for it’s usage AND the phone brick for my Samsung started to melt… not a good idea to use a 20w on these laptops!

1 Like

Yes sadly a 20W charger can’t maintain that for long, as i found out with my 65W charger too. Pushing chargers to the limit can only be done for a ‘short’ period.

That shouldn’t happen. Any (and I mean any) power brick shouldn’t be able to supply more power than what it’s designed to, even when requested by PD.

If anything, it indicates poor design.

1 Like

I wouldn’t normally assume Samsung make a bad brick but well… I guess I got the lemon… still even with it trying it never provided more power than I was using so the battery was dropping the whole time.

Since I plugged my laptop into the phone cable I actually also plugged my phone into the laptop brick that day… no issue there of course… nice full fast charge on the phone :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

As a note, if you are buying high wattage 5V chargers, that do not negotiate PD, then the laptop will only charge at around 1A max, as we do not support BC1.2, and have to stay under the USB current limit for USB-A ports.

5 Likes

I’ve used a 16W charger (built for a small atom CPU laptop) and it can sustain idle usage on my Framework. I have a 30W Anker charger that I use on the go cos it’s small and it can sustain charge while in use (I measured it pushing 32W to the laptop) so that works for me. I’m not usually out and about with my laptop for more than a couple of hours so it doesn’t really worry me.

I just like the fact I can plug anything in and it will at least pump some charge in one way or another.

Hi Yes I rarely have my Framework using 10 watts so almost any charger will do, but having over 5V (old USBA) does better guarantee some charge.

Do you have data on what happens if 12v-dc is applied via the USB C extension card?