How's everyone's [55Wh] battery health and wear looking?

Both the battery health and wear counts are inaccurate so there is no real use in graphing it as it may cause fear to newcomers thinking that the batteries are very low quality.

Whereas the read outs may be ‘inaccurate’ they show a trend.
That the wear drops most often after I charge the battery to 100% every month or so could just show the battery is still opening up.

Note I have only recorded 61 cycles after a year (Feb 28th 2022) and the battery is rated at 1000 in 2 years for a 20% drop. i.e. 2% per year at 100 cycles.

Given the low cycle rate where I may not even use 200 cycles in 2 years it is not unreasonable to see low wear after a year. Further other users have reported similar.

So although your comment may be correct in that the ‘measuring’ is a bit rough I don’t see how the graphs are such a problem.

Sure some people may have stats that show a higher level or wear but with this data they can see the charging routine and by following the link they can see the multiple daily measurements.

Fo example, not shown, I have started another table of date this month

• At 00:22 the wear was 5.3% so I charged the battery from my usual 78% to 100% whilst using it until 01:19
  • At 01:19 the wear was 4% so I shut down for the night
  • At 09:33 the wear was 3.6% so reverted the Battery charge limit to 78%

Regarding that quote

• Do you mean if they don’t have a similar low wear after similar use of mostly on mains as otherwise what would they have as a comparison
  • On a more philosophical note fear is not caused by external events or awareness but an individuals ability to cope with a ‘reality’ they are not used to.

I’m a bit of a freak and often get rude comments as my appearance is challenging, and when I open my mouth even more so, but I am not the cause of other people’s stress etc. :slight_smile:

:om:

from a certain point of view, or in a certain sense, the wear exists
from a certain point of view, the wear does not exist
from a certain point of view, the wear exists and does not exist
from a certain point of view, the wear is inexpressible
from a certain point of view, the wear both exists and is inexpressible
from a certain point of view, the wear both does not exist and is inexpressible
from a certain point of view, the wear exists, does not exist, and is also inexpressible

syādvāda, in Jaina metaphysics, the doctrine that all judgments are conditional, holding good only in certain conditions, circumstances, or senses, expressed by the word syāt (Sanskrit: “may be”). The ways of looking at a thing (called naya) are infinite in number.
Syādvāda | Syādvāda | Jain Logic, Nonabsolutism & Anekantavada | Britannica

and here’s the next graph, from 4th Jan 2023 to 4th March 2023

After a bit more than 1 year of ownership used mostly plugged in with a 75% charge limit I’m down to 90.3% capacity. My reported cycles are 104 but my cycles were stuck for some time so it is hard to estimate that accurately but I would put them closer to 120 than 104.

Have you recently done a full discharge and then charge to 100% for a day or two?

Do have a record of what is was initially, as I had it start at 96.6% capacity

I have not done a full charge very recently but I will try that and see how much this value changes.

I don’t have records of the initial capacity however I remember it was below 100% (54.XX Wh). I have a record two months after purchase with a value of 98.4%, 9 days later 97.3% and 40 days after that 97.1%.

Edit: Seems I made a prior post before forgetting my OOTB value.

Let’s see if I’m wrong and in 2 months time have fallen below the 80% mark did I get a bad battery or is the charge limit behaviour causing some degradation? I’m very carefuly to not stress the battery with heat or deep cycles/fully charging it… My old iphone 3GS had 86% after 500 cycles…
IMG

Ok Well here is a graph from day 1 to day 375

As you can see, with my persistent checking and charging it appears as though I have none or next to no wear after a year.

In the first few months I did not monitor and even when I did on the odd occasion I had no access to the number of cycles.

Since then I set the Battery charge limit to 78% and started to use the laptop plugged in 99% of the time and the results are surprising.

Of course the readings are not necessarily ‘true’ but what else is there to go by.

What I haven’t done is to see how long I can watch videos on a full battery, that’s next.

UPDATE: Immediately after this post I checked and it is 5.1% so that is a 2% increase during the day whilst the laptop has been of so ??? EDIT UPDATE: By 11am the following morning it has dropped to 4.0%

Almost invariably morning readings are lower, so room temp may be significant as my cabin in the woods cools a lot overnight.

For details see
http://217.155.51.23/newdevices/framework/battery/mar23.php

Well 4 full cycles later and now I’m down to 88.0% :man_shrugging:

Yes I have thought about how these measurements are taken. Clearly the info is built in somewhere as Win and Ubuntu etc. give the same info.

Not sure if that was directed at me but yeah the BMS I would suppose.

1 Like

I suppose I’d best contact support and see if they will tell me exactly how the BMS is implemented and how the info is made available.

Have just submitted a support request and clearly didn’t notice the url until is was too late. It seems I have now given my email address to some turd party.

https://framework.kustomer.help

I believe this is the correct URL it is what is linked on the “submit support request” button from the contact support link Framework | Support

Yes it is the correct one I just don’t like it when companies use third party businesses to route and monitor the requests. kustomer.help has been going since 2015

Next time I will directly email support. I’m usually more careful ??

UPDATE: I have sent a letter noting my displeasure with the third party use whilst asking for exact details on how the BMS works, I imagine it’s a part of the battery pack and further, how that info is made available for the OS

2 Likes

We use Kustomer as our ticketing system and have since our inception. Any frame.work domain linking to support is simply a mask as we’re utilizing Kustomer’s cloud platform. This is common practice. Knowledge Base/Support Tickets… Kustomer. Guides… Dozuki. Bugs… Jira. Welcome to 3rd Party tooling and platforms for business.

3 Likes

Thank you for the update.

All the best

1 Like

Here is a good video I found awhile back explaining the various ways that lithium ion batteries undergo physical damage and degradation. Very thorough, but I do not know for sure how many of these processes are applicable to the lithium polymer batteries sold by Framework.

3 Likes

Rhetoric is fine but I rarely find any data to substantiate the theory, but yes thanks for the link the video is helpful.

I thought I’d had enough for the last year of monitoring the battery wear but what is happening is clearly of interest.

After some 3 months of a lot of use unplugged and once I had discovered that I could ‘read’ the wear and the BIOS update that permitted the ‘reading’ of cycles I took a devoted interest.

a) I started to use the laptop plugged in >90% of the time and b) set the Battery Charge Limit (BCL) to 78%. This seemed not only to stop the recorded wear rise that had reached some 7% after four months but it started to decline.

As it started to decline I thought either the computer was reading wrong or what. I have since discovered that the battery pushes the info to the OS and the OS does very little. So I thought maybe the battery itself could do with reset.

So approx each month I reset the battery by running it down until the laptop automatically turned off and then charged it to 100%. Coincidently with that each time the recorded wear dropped. I know it’s a bir uncanny.

Now 13 months later I thought time for a change so I decided to lower the BCL to 69% This was due to the fact that at 78% the battery was till charging to nearly 4.165V which I can understand may wear the battery. So now I have the battery at 4.032 with the BCL at 69%

I was expecting a change but not the one I have. Today I did what was to the be the last of this routine checking on 31st March and what happened . . .

The wear has just recorded 2.8% 2.7% which is lower than it was upon receipt.
So either

• The reading is wrong now and there is a lot more wear or
  • The reading is correct and the previous reading are way out.

The take is this.

If measurements are not taken over a long period with different settings and use patterns, and tabulated and graphed there is no easy was to see what is/maybe happening. Here is the graph from 4th Jan 2023 to 30th June 2023.

Each day I take multiple readings and the figures on the graph are the lowest for each day. To see the actual data that I take it from see the monthly data

http://217.155.51.23/newdevices/framework/battery/apr23.php . . . etc.

Graph of data since receipt in Feb 2022

UPDATE 5th April: Since lowering the BCL to 69% the ‘wear’ has been consistently lower, between 2.6% each morning and a max of 3.0% late evening.

Screenshot of HWInfo on 9th April 2023, after 13 months ~ no joke.

UPDATE 19th April: Since I inadvertently let the charge drop a bit I used the opportunity to reset the calibration by a full discharge > a full recharge and then > discharge to my ‘new standard’ of 66%

The cycles went up 2 which I wasn’t expecting and the wear sort of doubled in that in went from 2.6 to 4.8 ???

I just did a deep discharge and recharge cycle, followed by a couple of more 90-100% cycles to see if it would get any more in the top end. /sys/class/power_supply/BAT1/charge* reports 3084000/3572000 = 86.3% SOH. 1.4 years in service, usually charged to 75%, not sure how many full cycle equivalents but I’m going to guess maybe 300ish.

Glad replacement batteries are available-ish in the marketplace. Will be looking forward to upgrading to the 61Wh and moving this battery to the router/wireless AP/NAS unit instead.

3 Likes

I received my diy framework i5-1135g7 in February 2022. As of today I’m at 196 cycles and the wear level is 11.9%.

I upgraded it to a 12th gen 1240p this past week (I spilled my drink on the mainboard/keyboard in March which necessitated an replacement).

1 Like

So you are still using the original battery?

What is your charging and use routine and have you tried a full discharge and charge etc.

Thanks for the info :slight_smile: