Idea: eGPU Enclosure?

I was looking at eGPU enclosures such as the Cooler Master eg200 and Razer counterpart when it crossed my mind to raise this as an idea.

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-MasterCase-Thunderbolt-Enclosure/dp/B08T63FV2C/ref=sr_1_2?crid=R7DJF7TBM77B&keywords=eg200&qid=1659559003&sprefix=eg200%2Caps%2C220&sr=8-2

Was also inspired by this other post: My portable eGPU setup (ADT-Link R43SG-TB3) [FULL BENCHMARKS AT EGPU.IO]

Would anyone else be interested in a Framework branded eGPU enclosure/dock? I think it would fit in very nicely with the modular ecosystem and satisfy users wanting higher graphics output potential without having to create a new mainboard that would be interoperable with the current platform. At least I would think it unlikely the engineers could figure out a way to add a mobile GPU to the mainboard and retain the same form factor.

A framework version of the CM eg200 case could ditch the extra cost of the sata connections and extra usb ports. As well I bet they would support a replacement PCIe bracket if needed.

Looking at the current cost sfx psu’s and what I think is the same pcie bracket it wouldn’t be that price competitive.

For a reliably repairable pcie to thunderbolt bracket that provides charging to the laptop I bet Framework could get it competitive or less than the cost of Razer’s Core X enclosure. Especially if they skipped the extra USB/Ethernet ports, leave that for a separate hub. Just an eGPU enclosure with charging pass through.

On a side note, cause I just thought of it now, has it been suggested to have a skeleton usbc hub that provides 3-4 more expansion card slots?

2 Likes

I have an egpu from ZOTAC it’s a mini one that takes an ITX sized gpu dual slot though and has an external psu, it’s a little thick and it has awful ventilation in reality gpu would have to be a blower and the combination doesn’t exist.

So you always end up with a massive egpu box unless you go the custom route like blackmagic did for apple I don’t think it would make a lot of sense at least at this time for framework to release egpu boxes considering the options in the market you can find many used razer core for next to nothing out there.

The other major problem with egpus in general is lack of bandwidth you’re always limited to your 40gbps which is slower than pcie gen 3 x4 under most circumstances and that will limit your performance so going for a powerful egpu is never going to be a sensible option, so you’re looking at mid range egpus or low end.

It might be a thing in the future 2-3 generations in the future for thunderbolt to catch up to gen 5 pcie speeds and when efficiency is good enough even a small egpu will have plenty of performance but might be too little too late unless it becomes a new standard.