If you haven't ordered yet, what's holding you back?

Watch this: ZEN 4D & ZEN 5 Leak: AMD makes big.LITTLE Cost-Effective - YouTube

I can’t wait to see Framework with AMD chipsets… :kissing_heart:

1 Like

In descending order of relevance:

1. My current laptop is still functional
  2. Money :pensive:
  3. my ideal configuration would be screen only/ tablet with a artist quality digitizer touch screen. It’s great that I can put my laptop into an new chassis, but I want to avoid spending more money and wasting a perfectly good laptop shell.
1 Like
  1. Screen size. My current laptop is 14", and I’d need at least that size or 15".
  2. Intel’s Alderlake was announced, and I don’t want to be on the previous generation
  3. A darker color would be nice to have, although not a deal breaker
  4. Matte screen
3 Likes

Posted on this thread previously, but now big.LITTLE and DDR5 are must-haves since I’ll be keeping my config for a while and need it to be as futureproof as possible when I do buy it.
As for reasoning behind this decision beyond just futureproofing (to avoid the “ooh shiny” fallacy) are that big.LITTLE will be important for me to have direct access to as a developer, and the performance uplift is also something that I can’t leave on the table now that it isn’t mediocre gain Y/Y. As for DDR5, I’ve been running BTRFS as my filesystem and the checksumming and error correction that come from that are features I desperately want and need in my memory now, as a lack of ECC an my desktop has caused numerous problems already.

Really looking forward to being able to put my money down to support framework, and can’t wait until that day when nothing is holding me back from saying that buying a framework is the only decision that makes financial sense. I just have to wait for the Framework team to continue to innovate as they have as my financials stabilize to make it possible.

Personally I want a 15" version and honestly more ports. I know several are pursuing the apple model of many usb-c only ports and framework gets around this with their expansion models. still having to choose only 4 means that I would lose nearly half of the ports I currently have in my 15" that’s 10 years old, and one will be dedicated to charging. Ideally I want a laptop that I can use without any docks and with one port being USB-A for my current mouse, one port USB-A for external drives, one port for display out, I am left without any other usable ports if I am charging.

1 Like

If you haven’t ordered yet, what’s holding you back?

1. Limited scope of what settings can be changed in the BIOS: I’ve been hoping there’d be a way (perhaps a separate BIOS version to flash, or a special hotkey to press once inside the BIOS Setup) for people who want to play with i.e. memory timings.

2. No sales in the EU: since they were supposed to happen “later this year,” and I’m not in an urgent need of a new laptop, I decided to wait and see how things play out.

1 Like

Matte Screen (If possible touch display would be a cherry on top.)
option for the bezel and the keyboard color at check out. (at least for D.I.Y.)
These are only 2 things that stopping me from getting one right now.

1 Like

What’s really holding me up from making a purchase now is the lack of an additional NVMe and the wacky resolution 3:2 on Linux-based distributions. In addition, would be great if it had i7-11800H over the i7-1185G7.

1 Like

Solely the availability in the UK/EU is whats holding me back at the moment. While I would prefer a 15" chassis/screen, Alder lake or even AMD APU etc etc - given the modularity I’m perfectly willing to get an entry level Framework for now and upgrade in whole or in part later if/when new hardware becomes available. Can find a use for the older hardware or even bits of it after any upgrade.

1 Like

I just got an email saying ShopMate is shutting down with a recommendation to use https://vpost.com/au/

I line in London England.

Waiting on an ARM model. I need Thunderbolt and currently it’s either go with the big Fruit Company and lose repairability, or convert a Chromebook but then lose Thunderbolt and most of my RAM. With Box86/Box64 there’s even some initial support for running x86 apps on ARM with Linux these days, so I don’t have anything holding me back (even Steam runs apparently).

Hopefully USB4/thunderbolt will be coming soon to more ARM SOCs, that would make this reality a lot sooner I suspect!

As much as I like the laptop, seems there are a lot of ongoing issues. Company needs to do more R&D.

1 Like

Ranking from top to bottom:

1. Second hard drive slot
  2. Coreboot & openec
  3. Alderlake CPU (H-series expected although P-series acceptable) and DDR5
    These are must-haves for me.
  4. Larger battery & less weight
  5. More rigid frame design.
  6. Larger screen size

GPU shortage and waiting for potential 360 hinge for better egpu implementation(the outflow of heat).

I’m getting one as soon as they start shipping to EU. Also getting another one when they make a 17" version with an AMD cpu :smiley:

1 Like

I just need to know that if/when AMD boards become an option that they will be chassis-compatible. I have uses for a 4x Thunderbolt mainboard as to not waste/scrap the Intel 11th gen board, so if it was confirmed that a hypothetical AMD board was a drop-in replacement through Marketplace, I’d buy right now.

1. Eu availability
  2. Keyboard - I might hate it
  3. I would prefer an amd cpu - 5800u, 5700u as compromise
  4. second ssd
    Otherwise it’s great, stoked about the concept, love the 16:10 ratio and the adapter concept! So much potential for great 3rd party adapters! Hope it becomes a standard!

*high-resolution 3:2 aspect ratio display

1 Like

If you haven't ordered yet, what's holding you back? - #103 by Andrew_Wild

Thought I would stop by and update you guys: Framework Support and I were able to solve the web checkout issues. Turns out some form validation errors where present but not alerting me as I was filling it out, so instead of stopping me at the time, I was allowed forward to a generic error page instead. Crisis averted. Since, I’ve purchased a Framework Laptop and I am typing on it now. It’s good stuff, go for it.

2 Likes