If you haven't ordered yet, what's holding you back?

  • Hinged touchpad - I really want a haptic one, different force required for a click at different spots drives me nuts
  • Not selling in EU yet (I’d still want a US keyboard though)

Less critical:

  • At this point in time I’d prefer AMD CPU for energy efficiency

Even less critical:

  • Option to have a discrete GPU would be great, especially if it can be plugged in later without replacing the motherboard

It’s refresh rate. I can’t accept a display with 60hz since all my screens(phone, pad, laptop, monitor) are 120hz+. I would buy now if there is a option for a high refresh rate display.


Literally JUST the glossy screen.
I could afford to buy one, and am willing to replace my laptop. While there are a few things I would have liked to have in a laptop (like amd, and dropdown ethernet), and the pontential for linux scaling wierdness, none of those outweigh my want to support this project.

I just absolutely cannot deal with a glossy screen, and while I have read the posts on the matte screen protectors, and those seem like they would be sufficient solution/compromise for me, there is one additional problem. I have literally no chance of actually successfully applying one with getting a bubble or spec of dust in it, which would drive me even more insane. I would even consider paying extra to order one with a screen protector pre applied, even if that was like $50 or $75.


Andy, you’ll be glad to know there are services that have their own cleanrooms where they custom fit and cut screen protectors for your device. You would be mailing your laptop to them and they ship it back once the work is done. Of course all this has some extra steps in between, so I definitely see your point that it would be more streamlined if handled directly at the point of sale.

Larger screen… keyboard with numeric keypad… Thats it… if I had that, I care about almost nothing else.


Literally just waiting on the blackout keyboard option. Supposed to be with marketplace, which should be any day now. Between full-time Dvorak and Linux, no Windows logo, or any markings, seals the deal on this excellent laptop that will last me well through college.


Basic FOMO. The announced but unspecified additional configurations by the end of this year and the lack of a clear upgrade market is stilling my hand.

And I understand why there’s no option to configure without the mainboard, but the price of patience is that eventually there will be competition, and interest isn’t loyalty.

I’d love to own a Framework and I know I’m being a little unreasonable, but after the challenges they’ve had with security over the last few lifecycles, Intel is a tough sell.


If you have faith that ddr4 won’t become immediately irrelevant, the i5 main board would have to be a relatively small portion of the cost of a diy framework, and it could always be ripped out to use as an htpc. (Or if ddr5 in laptops happens soon, maybe just get 8 or 16 gb)

1 Like

I’ll order when it’s available in UK as long as it’s priced properly with no ridiculous EU taxes.

1 Like

I am also waiting for this to be available in the UK.

It would be good to know when Framework are aiming for UK distribution.

1 Like

Pretty sure ‘before end of year’ is still the closest we have to any international update.

1 Like

As soon as they have an AMD cpu, I’ll pull the trigger. 4c 8t just won’t cut it for my workloads. I would also spend additional money for a dGPU if that became available.

1 Like

I’m very excited about the prospect of buying a framework. All I’m really waiting for is UK availability (assuming fair and competitive pricing). I’d love a higher core count AMD option, but I’m willing to wait and upgrade later


3 months ago, as reasons why I was still waiting to order, I wrote:

I also realized that despite not having a CFe expansion slot option yet, the 1TB expansion slot can replace my T5 drive. So I’ll still need a dongle, but I’ll be down a dangler.

I’m waiting on batch 5 now. i5, 32 gigs. Bringing my own SSD.


I’d really love to upgrade to a framework now, but a few things are holding me back:

  1. A compatible/officially supported USB-C dock/hub.
    I see there’s a thread on USB-C docks, but I don’t want to get one and experiment with different docks. My current laptop is on a dock most of the time with several peripherals hooked up to it, so I’d at least want a solution that could replace it.

  2. Trackpoint/Pointing stick
    I’ve pretty attached to it at this point to where my desktop and laptop keyboard both have one.
    I don’t know, maybe I could live without it on the laptop itself since I have my current laptop on the dock most of the time. Heck, I still have to use mice at work and don’t complain.

  3. Hesitancy to upgrade after buying an upgrade last year.
    I bought a used T470 and a dock last year hoping that would be enough for the next couple years. I’m not used to buying a major item and then switching to another one quickly.

1 Like

My reason is strictly screen size and unconfirmed thunderbolt support for eGPU docks. I know technically thunderbolt works, but an official statement would be nice. I want a nice, big 17" screen with a higher pixel density and at least 1440p. It would be nice to also get a high core processor with a lot of RAM

I’m looking to get away from my tower PC and daily drive a capable laptop with docking support for when I’m home and ready to play.

1 Like

@strobe_grill Interesting points!

  1. I’ve seen a lot of success in using off-the-shelf docks, especially those manufactured by Lenovo and Dell. I’m personally using a Lenovo Thinkpad dock and besides a small issue with the drivers on the linux distro I chose (Lenovo’s support of Fedora is still in beta, so I had to opt into the beta to get the drivers), it has worked flawlessly. I would look at the supported docks list and find one from there that works. We’ve done the experimentation for you. And since you already have a dock, as long as it’s a USB-C/Thunderbolt dock, it should just work.

  2. I don’t think adding the pointing stick thing would be too difficult to implement - the keyboard is already designed to be swappable. Problem is I think you may have trouble finding others that also want the stick. I still see them occasionally, but everyone I talk to prefers using a mouse over either a trackpad or a stick, though your mileage may vary.

  3. If you just bought a laptop, definitely save your money. No sense replacing something so soon as it just contributes to e-waste.

@Feynt_Mistral My understanding as far as Framework’s support of Thunderbolt goes is that the laptops are Thunderbolt-compliant but not Thunderbolt-certified. That is, the hardware specs meet or surpass the requirements set out by Thunderbolt and Framework has submitted the laptop for certification, however that they are still waiting on a response, last I heard. I too am waiting on the certification to come through as I think it’d be great for the long-term success of the laptop.

There are a few threads with a request for a 15" and 17" screen with some designs for the layout that’s been getting a lot of traction lately. These models would also allow for a second cooling fan that would allow better CPU/GPUs, and there does seem to be some initial interest from the company.


a combination of possibly waiting for amd models (i thing i would go with the i5 anyways for the xe graphics, but you never know), waiting for some new io (dual usb c on 1 card + ethernet) and just not having the money. but at this point im planning on ordering as soon as i get the money

1 Like

So I am brand new on this community. I’ve been trying for the last 20 days to buy a framework laptop. I have tried countless times, at different times of day, on different browsers, on different devices, on different internet connections, and after clearing browser data - Framework’s order system is seriously broken and I am really disappointed. At first I couldn’t finish the laptop configurator, since then, I have gotten further along but it’s immaterial because my order is still not placed. I contacted support and their response was to wait a day without any other explanation - that didn’t solve anything. Maintaining a website and a checkout system is basic stuff for a modern technology company. While I have seen favorable deep dives that make me want to purchase framework, this is just unacceptable. I am right at the edge of giving up all together on framework I am so irritated by this. I have troubleshooted to the extent that I can, ruling out anything on my end, either my framework account is somehow bugged or the system is. I need an explanation as to what the problem is and when it will be actually fixed, because it has become a waste of my time to try over and over to the same result. I just sent a followup to support with basically the same language I use here, I hope for a favorable response. I never want to see the frame.work error page again.


@Andrew_Wild I had a sort of similar problem when trying to order parts from the Marketplace. I created a new account with a different email address just for placing the order and then it worked without a problem.