If you haven't ordered yet, what's holding you back?

I’m late to the party here but I want to step in to correct this misconception.

There are two boxes involved here: Laptops are assembled into SKUs (for DIY edition on 13th gen and newer, that’s based on CPU, 12th gen and earlier its CPU and Keyboard) at the factory and then sealed into inner boxes and sent to the 3PL partner, who packs the inner laptop box into an outer box.

Some components, like the ones you listed, can be customized without introducing additional SKUs because they can be added separately into the outer box. However, the battery must come pre-installed because shipping restrictions on Lithium Ion batteries are a lot more difficult (and expensive) to deal with if they are not installed in devices.

If they made it possible to select the battery, they would need to double the number of laptop SKUs, which is not feasible for a company with less than 50 employees globally.

5 Likes

A version that’s more like a hybrid laptop/tablet. I’d seriously like one of these with Framework’s design philosophy of being able to upgrade everything and anything.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification! Makes perfect sense.
Would it be reasonable to expect that all framework laptops in the near future will be available with the 61wh battery, as soon as that battery is available? Or not for >1year?

I have no idea. I’m not a Framework employee.

They still don’t deliver to Sweden…
This is getting silly by now, you can buy them in neighbouring countries but not here…

I’m unfortunately just going to buy another Thinkpad soon but wish I could buy the Framework…

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: AMD Ryzen-based alternative? We have a challenger

well if you really wanna know it’s because Switzerland still can’t order them. I could order to Germany and get it like that but that would be against ToS or something idk. ill just wait for the 16" after all the Swiss keyboard layout was (finally) made. i just hope that the region releases with the 16" and not another few quarters after -_-

Please note that Framework does not support freight forwarding to unsupported countries as they do not have the authority to sell or ship their products to any countries/regions outside of their officially supported country/region list located here: What countries and regions do you ship to?. If individuals proceed by entering invalid/incorrect billing information, their order will be subject to cancellation/refund, and their payment method may be subject to blacklist. If the order does proceed, they are acknowledging that Framework is not responsible for anything that may happen as a result of not utilizing Framework’s direct shipping to a supported country/region, and that they are fully accountable for any additional costs incurred, or documentation required. Additional information can be found in the Framework Terms of Sale and the Framework Limited Warranty documentation.

If it continues to come up in this thread, I will unfortunately have to close it, which I would really prefer not to do because there is some really amazing feedback that comes up here. Thank you.

I have ordered one anyway.
It’s a gamble whether or not they will eventually sell the 61wh battery with the base model at all.
And to be honest; can’t wait :innocent:

I currently own a Lenovo ThinkPad and have managed to upgrade the RAM and the OS and can still upgrade the storage by adding an M.2 drive. I want to get as many years out of my ThinkPad as I can before I invest in a new laptop. Even then, I’m not sure I’ll part ways with my ThinkPad when I get a new laptop. I have high hopes for the Framework 16 laptop but I’m still in a wait and see mode when it comes to my buying one. Part of the reason has to do with the fact that I’m moving and getting ready to go back for my bachelors degree in cybersecurity.

I’m considering buying one part at a time and building a FW16 when I can afford to do so. Only time will tell if I can pull that off. That said, greater customization options for the case would be an awesome idea. Particularly if I can get a black case with a backlit Framework logo. That may be a DIY project I’ll want to look into.

2 Likes

Framework is holding me back by not supporting shipping to my country. They should figure it soon or i will have to pull trigger on different laptop.

2 Likes

welcome them to our community!

I’d like to order an i5 with 61Wh battery and matte screen, but sadly neither screen nor battery are configuration options.

The battery is not yet an option, but may be eventually. The matte screen is the default now, which is why there is no configuration option. If you order a 13th gen Intel or AMD 13" right now, you will get a matte display.

1 Like

Thank you @BigT good to know that matte is now the default, I believe that should be mentioned on the config page. Hopefully the battery becomes an option soon.

I have not ordered my FW yet because :

• my current PC is still powerful enough
  • it’s still quite a little bit a lot of money to get a FW
  • there isn’t any ortholinear keyboard option yet

One of these reasons may be more poverful than others. :open_mouth:

1 Like

It has been detailed by Framework, which you will find if you search etc.

But I don’t see why anything that is default should be mentioned. Sure the sense is only to mention the few things that can be optional.

I just put in a pre-order yesterday evening! Initially what was holding me back from framework specifically was lack of a dedicated GPU. Then when I found out about the Framework 16 and the optional 7700S module, my stupid brain wanted to wait for all the options to make it to the table. In the meantime as I procrastinated wating for other manufacturers to get their shi… act together, all the first batches sold out :frowning: so now I’m waiting until Q1 next year.

Here’s the thing, yes I probably could have continued waiting, and in Nov or Dec finally snagged a nice thin-n-light with comparable - or even better - specs for the same price or cheaper. However, chances are it would have to be something like an Asus ROG and that company has done some awful things in the PC space recently. Or maybe I could have snagged a next gen Lenovo, and then had to deal with setting it up and hoping that Linux drivers will work with whatever proprietary weirdness they have. And both of those options are even assuming I can get my hands on one with AMD/Radeon, because I am not going back to fighting Nvidia drivers on my laptop ever again.
Framework was just the right choice and I should have pulled the trigger sooner

Try taking a customer perspective instead of a developer perspective. As a customer you want to know what you are buying. You don’t want to search forums to find basic information about the product you are purchasing, and you can’t be expected to know the “defaults”.

I would have though that once you have selected a unit you can see what options there are. > Configure etc.