If you haven't ordered yet, what's holding you back?

Thank you @BigT good to know that matte is now the default, I believe that should be mentioned on the config page. Hopefully the battery becomes an option soon.

I have not ordered my FW yet because :

• my current PC is still powerful enough
  • itā€™s still quite a little bit a lot of money to get a FW
  • there isnā€™t any ortholinear keyboard option yet

One of these reasons may be more poverful than others. :open_mouth:

1 Like

It has been detailed by Framework, which you will find if you search etc.

But I donā€™t see why anything that is default should be mentioned. Sure the sense is only to mention the few things that can be optional.

I just put in a pre-order yesterday evening! Initially what was holding me back from framework specifically was lack of a dedicated GPU. Then when I found out about the Framework 16 and the optional 7700S module, my stupid brain wanted to wait for all the options to make it to the table. In the meantime as I procrastinated wating for other manufacturers to get their shiā€¦ act together, all the first batches sold out :frowning: so now Iā€™m waiting until Q1 next year.

Hereā€™s the thing, yes I probably could have continued waiting, and in Nov or Dec finally snagged a nice thin-n-light with comparable - or even better - specs for the same price or cheaper. However, chances are it would have to be something like an Asus ROG and that company has done some awful things in the PC space recently. Or maybe I could have snagged a next gen Lenovo, and then had to deal with setting it up and hoping that Linux drivers will work with whatever proprietary weirdness they have. And both of those options are even assuming I can get my hands on one with AMD/Radeon, because I am not going back to fighting Nvidia drivers on my laptop ever again.
Framework was just the right choice and I should have pulled the trigger sooner

Try taking a customer perspective instead of a developer perspective. As a customer you want to know what you are buying. You donā€™t want to search forums to find basic information about the product you are purchasing, and you canā€™t be expected to know the ā€œdefaultsā€.

I would have though that once you have selected a unit you can see what options there are. > Configure etc.

I agree, it could be a little bit more visible.

When you are on the main product page (before you go to the ā€œconfigureā€ page), if you scroll down there are tabs for things like overview, specs, etc. If you click on specs and scroll down, it does list screen type as matte.

If you are on the configure page and look near the top of the configuration options, right below where it gives the option for DIY or Prebuilt, there is a link for ā€œView Product Details.ā€ This just takes you back to the main product page where you can scroll down and view the full specs.

So, technically that info is available and there is a link to it on the configuration page, but I supposed it would be nice if the configuration page was set up such that when you get to the bottom of the configuration options there was a list of standard features that your configuration will come with. Such as a matte display.

2 Likes

I donā€™t fully understand the enclosure system and how that relates to my goals. I have to keep reading. I want to be able to carry around a desent work station and also be able to hook it up to a graphics card to game 4k when I get home. The ugradability sounds great. The right to repair sounds great. I just donā€™t know yet if this system is what will work best for me in the long run or if im better off getting a desktop I upgrade over time and keeping cheaper laptops.

Simple: payment options.
Two are not supported in my region.
I donā€™t have a credit card, only a girocard (and considering the cost I donā€™t really want to order one just for Framework).
And giropay is discontinued by my bank at this point.
So, I straight up canā€™t order stuff.

Before I had a credit card, I sometimes borrowed one from a relative. I just wired them the money, and then we did the order together.

Have you thought of a debit card, which is what I use, as I would never use a credit card?

Iā€™m $13.44 short of being able to afford the deposit. I almost got a Batch 1 laptop, even got all the way to checkout, but I checked my bank balance and I only have $86.56 in my personal spending account because of some recent other purchases XD

I donā€™t even know of somebody who has one.
You barely need it need it here if at all for even nearly all online shopping.

I have a debit card, but the card number has a ā€œwrong formatā€.

I gotta say, I personally donā€™t get laptop gaming. I need a big screen and comfortable controls to actually enjoy most of the games I play, so I would basically need to turn my hyper-expensive laptop into a desktop in which case I could have gotten better performance for half the price if I just built a desktop! For anything I would enjoy playing on the go, if Iā€™m willing to play it on a laptop, Iā€™m also willing to play it on a handheld (e.g. Steam Deck) which is a hell of a lot more convenient than a laptop.

Thatā€™s just me though. Gaming laptops exist, so clearly a lot of people like it. But in my opinion, if youā€™re going to be gaming pretty much exclusively at home anyway, I think youā€™re way better off building a desktop and specā€™ing your laptop to your actual laptop usage which will probably save you a ton of money and give you a much more efficient machine. Sometimes having specialized devices ends up costing less than getting one do-all device.

Thatā€™s the same conclusion I ended up on too. Thank you.

Itā€™s in the specs tab on the first page of the configurator.

I am waiting to see a trackpoint option (like a thinkpad) or at the very least a trackpad with three physical buttons.

1 Like

I was waiting for the 16 but was disappointed its only AMD CPU/GPU

my prediction is that FW will make a NVIDIA gpu next year and intel cpu and dgpu in 2024

1 Like