If you haven't ordered yet, what's holding you back?

Aren’t touch displays a bit 2012? Most modern laptops I get in don’t have one (thankfully as they are a pain to repair).

If you want touch get a tablet or use your phone, seems to be the market trend nowadays.

4 Likes

I haven’t monitored how its changed over the years, but I’ve seen that even low end laptops are now coming with touch screen options. For 13", half of all laptops currently available have touch screens. Set aside creative and student needs, I just find it far easier to tap an item on the screen instead of having to mess with the track pad for every little interaction. I think you will find that most people find it very frustrating these days to have a screen within arms reach that isn’t touch interactive, and that isn’t something that will go away.

As for repairing, I’m not sure what you mean? I found absolutely no difference when I fixed the cracked touch screen on my laptop last week, after I realized that Framework didn’t have the option. The replacement panel had a single cable and came as a single panel, just like every other non-touch screen I’ve ever changed.

1 Like

Yeah I take it you’ve not fixed many laptops. One a cheap laptop, if the screen goes and it has touch it isn’t often worth the cost fixing (if you can even get a screen for it). In the bin it goes. But like I said maybe 1 in 20 laptops I see in the wild has one thankfully.

Who wants to put fingers on a nice premium screen anyway? ughhhh :joy:

1 Like

100% the screen size! 15.6 or 16 inches would be perfect. Also a bigger chassis would allow for a bigger battery.

2 Likes

@Rafael_Laya Welcome to the community! Do agree with you in a larger screen being super cool. - Even without enlarging the actual chassis and decreasing the bezel size. Although it isn’t a real dealbreaker for me.

I’m going to sound like a broken record here but the lack of availability in Belgium is a literal dealbreaker as it stops me from ordering it at all. :sweat_smile:

I do have one gripe with the framework and it’s the lack of a touchscreen. It isn’t really a dealbreaker but I’ve experienced a laptop with a touchscreen now and it’s amazing. I constantly find myself scrolling with my finger on non-touch laptop’s screens.

Love the fw, instant buy when available. :blush:

(Also instant buy on a touchscreen version of the display when it comes out)

1 Like

@Cheese Thanks for welcoming me! Indeed global availability would be sweet, more devices in more people’s hands :slight_smile:. Touch screen would be a great thing to have too, I was surprised to learn it wasn’t touch already

1 Like

@Rafael_Laya Yeah right?! I associate glossy displays with touchscreen now for some reason.

Apparently the right hardware is there for a touch display option but remains unused so that gives me hope! :blush:

1 Like

Thankfully our mental health has improved and we were able to have a very brief discussion about laptop requirements. Also thankfully, framework is coming to our region soon, which is good news.

Unfortunately, our discussion concluded with “having a touchscreen is non-negotiable.” We also need a dedicated graphics card. We’ve not found a touchscreen that fits, and dGPU would need a bigger chassis for cooling.

Well they charge for a power cord and I stoped . Almost fell for all the freedom and rights stuff , I was actually excited to buy one but looks like another raspberry, talk a good game but just another wholly owned subsidiary of evil corp.

It’s optional tho? I mean if you already have a USB C cable capable of the necessary charging speed then it would be entirely superfluous to buy another. $50 for a power cord isn’t an unreasonable price either for a GaN charger and TB4 cord either…

Like I get it, it feels like Apple pulling the charger out of the box for “environmental reasons” and then charging $20 for it. It doesn’t feel great when others include it in the price but

is a bit harsh and melodramatic

1 Like

Joined the forum just to drop truth bombs on all the sheeple. :joy:

(But in all seriousness, IMO it’s not that they charge extra for a power cord - rather they don’t charge you for one if you don’t want/need another USB-C charger, which seems like a good thing to me.)

4 Likes

I think if some folks here got to design their ‘dream laptop’ it would be the laptop equivalent of “The Homer”. :rofl:

3 Likes

It would be:

1. 13.3" matte touchscreen expandable with an option for 17"
  2. LPDDR ram for lower power draw, but comes with a soldering kit so that you can upgrade it later.
  3. Trackpoint + large touchpad
  4. Detachable DGPU
  5. Full keyboard with numpad
  6. Thin & light form factor.

In all seriousness, I’m pretty satisfied with mine. It’s not perfect, and honestly a Thinkpad T14 probably would have been a better buy for me at the time, but it’s good enough, and the tradeoffs are worth it if the company takes off and starts a trend industrywide.

2 Likes

This goal is incredibly unfeasible. I’m uncertain about the firmware side of things, but LPDDR solder joints are incredibly small and packed together, requiring many years of experience with soldering and board level repairs before even thinking about attempting removal of an LPDDR chip, only being consistently done by machines. It’s easy to ruin it, and no user who wants to upgrade their memory should have to think about soldering new modules on with a format that’s incredibly easy to fuck up.

See: eGPU

3 Likes

So I see this computer and research and research and , really like the product and the spiel. But for the luv of Buddha, you charge for a power cord?

No, you pay less if you don’t want the charger.

4 Likes

wooosh.

1 Like

What is this, Reddit?

nah chief, @Senhara has exactly the right concept. If Framework wanted to go with LPDDR then they would have. They choose not to for repairability reasons. I’ll grant that there are performance losses associated with eGPU vs a dGPU but if you want one that is replaceable/upgradable…that would be the eGPU.

1 Like

You keep harping on this and not accepting the response that everyone gives you. If you want something with everything included, get the pre-built Framework laptop. If you want the freedom to pick and choose what you need, go with DIY…that includes the power cable and charger.

2 Likes

I may have been sleepy yesterday when I wrote that, so I may have missed the joke, but I’ve seen plenty of people say stuff like that seriously so I wanted to correct misinformation.