If you haven't ordered yet, what's holding you back?

I wasn’t criticizing you, I was incredulous that someone would actually write “woosh” to anything on this forum. Like as a reference to r/woosh on reddit.

Yeah I understand, I just only now recognized I missed a joke ^^;

We should probably get back on topic

1 Like

No, I mean my reply was a joke in that all of the points I made were completely nonsensical and physically impossible. It was in reply to a comment that following all the suggestions in the forum would result in The Homer - such as a thin & light 17" laptop with a DGPU and a soldering kit to remove LPDDR chips.

2 Likes

2 things:

1. Battery life!
    From what I’ve read and heard from several sources (reddit, forums, youtube, …) it’s not that good.
    For the i7-1280P I would expect at least 3-4h under heavy load (= 2-3 VMs running + MS Office stuff), but everything I’ve found tells me I could be lucky if I get 3h under heavy load.

2. If I need new/spare parts … € 30,-- for shipping???
    This is really insane, for some parts this would mean 50% of the cost of an order is shipping only …

3 Likes

Tbf, Framework is still small, I expect as they scale up they will be able to negotiate volume discounts with couriers as Amazon and others do. Those companies eat the cost and Framework can’t

I know, but € 30,— still looks a bit high to me. Especially if I look at the extension cards, some are € 10,—, if I only need one more …
€ 10,— to € 15,— would be something I could live with for small parts.
€ 30,— for parts like the display or the mainboard is fine, because those parts need a better packaging and they are bigger.

So let me be more specific, € 30,— for shipping small parts is expensive in my mind.

3 Likes

Maybe we should not take cheap shipping for granted. It’s not shipped only across the street. It is shipped from Taiwan.

Either a company can reduce shipping costs by excessive amounts or it just hides the cost in product price.

To be honest I do not understand why so many things must be cheap these days.

With this mindset there won’t be much sustainability. I think the more expensive something is you more value it. The more you value something the more you’re eager to repair and care for.

3 Likes

Well, if I don’t really really really need it I will not order a part for a few €uros and pay three times the amount for shipping.
This is a stopper for me, because it doesn’t matter if you pay 40€ for a tiny part or 10€ plus 30€ for shipping. It’s the same, too much for such a small simple electronic part. Then it doesn’t really matter how easy it is to repair or swap parts.

1 Like

One card module weighs 43grams in the postage wrap.

I feel your pain. I originally pre-ordered the 1260P but got COVID (for the second time :roll_eyes:) and had to cancel. Finally scraped enough cash together to afford the refurbed i5 model. Not what I wanted but at least I have my foot in the door and I can upgrade boards later when I have the cash. I’ll probably just wait for Meteor Lake or Arrow Lake to bring improvements to iGPU. Being a broke student sucks when you have expensive tastes :laughing:

3 Likes

13.5" is too small for me. It would be good to know if bigger displays are on the horizon. I haven’t found anything indicating that it is coming.

5 Likes

No touchscreen and 360 hinge, and preferably would also need stylus support. I like taking notes with a stylus and I dont wanna get a tablet. If those were options, it wud be an instant buy.

3 Likes

I was waiting until the FW came to my country but now I’ve had a lot of time to think about it and I’m just gonna hold out until a touchscreen variant arrives. I’ve been trying to get used to not having a TS by using my mom’s macbook but I keep touching the screen instinctively. Honestly didn’t know it was such a deal breaker until I really thought about it.

Also welcome to the community @zoog & @Kunal_Jain! :orange_heart:

1 Like

I too was waiting for it to become available in my country. I love the idea and would have bought it even though I prefer 15". I kept my old laptop alive for as long as I could, but the wait has been too long for my old battery.

So I guess I’ll be buying a laptop real soon. It just won’t be a Framework.

Awaiting an off-the-peg unorthodox keyboard module. I would prefer the Atreus but any ortholinear, columnar staggered or other ergonomic design being available commercially would demonstrate any latent demand for alternative formats that might lead to bigger things.

3 Likes

TL,DR: 15" screen

I’m looking to buy a new laptop very soon - but my hand gets squished on small form factors. So I won’t buy the framework until it comes with a bigger screen.

15" is preferable, but I could do 14-16" if that was what was left. 13.5" is just too small.

1 Like

Three things hold me back now.

I’d love a ryzen based version as multithreaded performance is more valuable to me day to day for the work I do. A hybrid archetecture would likely decrease my performance. AMD also tends to keep their chips cooler, but that’s not much of a concern for me.

I need at least a 15.6" screen, but 17.3" would be preferrable.

I need a numpad. I practically live off them for my CAD work.

1 Like

I am still waiting for PayPal or Klarna as payment methods in Germany.

1 Like

Holding me back:
-DDR5 RAM
-Non-Glossy Screen
-Touchscreen
-13/14th gen i7s - I got interested in Framework mid-cycle and want the latest

1 Like

Started looking deeper into this after my trusty XPS 13 7390 2-in-1 (4k OLED, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD) left fan failed, and it’s somewhat of a struggle to get parts quickly for it. Shipping from China takes forever.

Made me realize all this “soldered on-board” can be a business risk.

But what’s holding me back

• I found spare cooling system parts for XPS 13, so it’s likely I can fix it.
  • no OLED screen option (touch not necessary, for me) - once you go OLED, you don’t go back
  • no “infinity edge” screen bezel option (even for IPS) - can’t look at large bottom bezels anymore
  • Linux suspend power draw issues I still see being actively tracked
  • some reviews say fans have only “off, or loud” mode - scared of getting “loud” too often
2 Likes