Input Module Placement Qs

So looking at the input cover on the 16’s promo material, it looks like there is one header strip in the middle shared by both rows. It also looks like not each of the 10 horizontal segments has a header associated with it.

It looks like the headers are populated as follows:
[h, h, h, x, h, h, h, x, h ,h]

Given that, it appears that eight of the 10 segments have a header associated with them. I’m still unsure where the header on the touchpad module is though. I’d be guessing that in the middle position it would land in the center of the three 'h’s in the middle as illustrated above.

I’m curious what all of the possible positions / sizes are for input modules, and if there are any limitations on which headers can be used for what devices, etc…
Are we completely locked into the small/medium/large buckets and the orientations shown in the promo footage?

Side note, but if all of the above assumptions are correct would there be anything to stop me from placing three RGB macropads centered in the top row like a madman? (Quick and dirty ortholinear KB anyone?)

3 Likes

The three headers on the left and the two headers on the right are for the Input Modules. All of the interfaces are the same and are documented on GitHub. The three headers in the middle are for the Touchpad and have a different interface.

3 Likes

Very helpful! Thanks for the insight.

Any chance you could say whether the touchpad headers have BOARD_ID and GND in the same spots as the input modules?

Touchpad Row Input Module Connector Pinout

This section describes the Touchpad Row Input Module connection on the system side, including the pin define and the pin map of the connector.

Pins on the input module connector shall have ESD protection to meet IEC 61000-4-2 Level 4 protection.

Pin Function Note
1 GND
2 VCC_5V 5V, power supply from the system.
3 I2C_SCL I2C Serial Clock Line
4 BOARD_ID Pull to GND through BOARD_ID resistor defined below
5 I2C_SDA I2C Serial Data Line
6 TP_INT_1 Secondary interrupt for touchpad future features
7 VCC_3V3 3.3V, power supply from the system.
8 TP_INT_0 Main interrupt for touchpad

Touchpad Row Input Module layout requirements

The contacts on the touchpad daughterboard should be designed so that the ground pins engage first when the touchpad is sliding in. Pin 7 should be 0.5mm longer than the other pins to ensure it engages first.

The first picture for PADs is shown in perspective. View angle is on top of the PCB.

Around the signal pads there should be a ground fill keepout to prevent the pogo connectors from shorting the pads to ground or other signals when sliding in if the solder mask is scraped away.

3 Likes

Thanks so much! This says “view angle is on top of the PCB” for the last image, but it appears to be flipped compared to the other two images (small input module connector, midplate touchpad connector), both of which do appear to be from the “top”. I think that last image is actually from the bottom of the PCB looking up (ie, looking at the copper on the PCB, not “through the PCB at the bottom copper” like in the small input module drawing).

EDIT: @MJ1 makes a good point below about GND. So I’m guessing it is indeed drawn “from the top, looking through the PCB at the bottom copper” but the pin numbering is flipped?

Is the pin numbering correct?

The above says ground should engage first. And that pin 7 should be longer, in order to engage first. This also matches the second image.
But pin 7 is listed as VCC_3V3.

1 Like

This is from the viewpoint of looking down at an installed touchpad in the system (e.g. xraying through to the pads that are on the touchpad side).