Intel Company Health Speculation

So, to start this Topic is purely speculation…
So I read this article this morning: MSN, and it sounds like Intel isn’t doing as well as they used to. Now, I’m not going along the lines of the company entirely shutting down, that would be absurd, but it does make me wonder: if Intel were unable to supply Framework with more Current/Future CPUs, does Framework have some sort of backup? I know this could be an issue with other companies( Although I would think Intel would probably still supply Dell/HP at least…), But it makes me wonder about Framework in particular…

Anyways, just some shower-thoughts, nothing hopefully serious…

This means next to nothing. Intel has been turning the ship around for the last 3-4years and looks like it is finally zeroing in on its target. Intel is going nowhere but up.

2 Likes

Dividends are a poor metric to judge the health of the company long-term. I’m not going to pretend Intel is strolling along the primrose path but they are far from not being able to supply CPUs. There is literally no correlation between the article and your fear. If anything, AMD is the one with supply issues. Reliance on TSMC for fab space means that growth is limited by TSMC and by extension, whichever other customers compete with AMD for fab allocation, like nVidia and Apple.

Intel’s next node is already on track to launch products this year, beyond that is complete speculation for any company. TSMC might run into issues, Intel might run into issues, Samsung, GloFo, nobody can say.

Even if Intel was no longer competitive, FW would just launch a different mainboard, RISC-V has some support on the forums along with ARM variants. Always something to launch.

5 Likes

@nadb I guess after reading about staff cuts and this it seems worse than it is… So, I’d be happy if it turns out to be nothing!
@GhostLegion Yeah that’s a good point about AMD and TSMC… And that makes sense. Like I said, I’m hoping I was hoping for nothing, and just curious about that…

3 Likes

@SlashFuture I’m sad about the staff cuts, Intel makes some truly amazing products and they’ve killed the optane division. Optane was the future of storage and it’s gone. They’ve realized they aren’t king of the hill anymore and can’t splash cash everywhere and remain competitive in key markets. A sad but necessary business decision. I hope the reaper doesn’t come for AXG next…

4 Likes

@GhostLegion Yeah it is really sad… Intel at it’s full capacity would be a force to be reckoned with…

2 Likes

This stuff is always cyclical. I remember when no one would buy anything but AMD SKT939 systems. Intel was totally lost at that point. Then they went Core2 SKT775 and it was them back on top for several years again. AMD couldnt make a decent chip for years.

It goes round and round. AMD will lose someone or make the wrong call and it will happen again…

3 Likes

@Jason_Dagless Yeah that’s something I was wondering too, was it just that Intel is going through that underdog phase right now and hopefully they’ll rise back up or is it more severe for them? But that makes sense…

The thing is with CPUs (and most of the rest of PC tech) in 2023 is…are any of us really struggling?

No!

20 years ago, if you wanted “good performance” you had to buy the best. Now if you want 60+FPS you can buy low-midrange and be sorted all day long at 1080p.

Buying high end now means the difference between 236FPS and 240FPS or 20 seconds on a 18 minute render. You buy it because you can, not because you need it.

2 Likes