Intel Wi-Fi 7 BE200 and BE202 compatible with Framework 16?

Do you have a URL link to the thunderbolt work that was done?
“laptop still crashes” is not very much to go on. Some sort of Linux stack trace would be helpful. The PCIe bus is normally quite well protected from misbehaving PCIe cards, unless they are shorting pins.

I did it myslef.

No stack trace, no panic, just fill stop as soon as it authorized.

That was my thinking too (especially tunneled through thunderbolt) which is why I think it’s the cpu really not liking something the card does on the pcie bus.

@Adrian_Joachim
Please can you let me know which thunderbolt devices / docks / enclosures you used to do the test. Make, Model etc.
It is a little unclear to me exactly what you did.
I am thinking that the PC might have appeared to have “just full stop” when maybe only some of the PCIe devices had stopped working. e.g. maybe the GPU, but if some of the other PCI devices might still be working, and if you could get, say a USB ethernet network adapter connected to one of those working PCI hosts, you might still be able to ping the PC and from there make some progress in diagnosing this.

Don’t know the model number off the top of my head and I am not at home to check but it is a late gen intel tb3 based one, works fine with gpus, various 10gbit nics, weird pcie ssds and a pcie to usb adabter I tried at some point.

No it was full power off, power button light went off, no power draw off the charger anymore and it powered up with a short press of the power button, if it was just half off I would have to “choke it out” first.

If it wen’t as far as to crash the igpu, the probability of networking having survived is low but anyway, it was off so can’t do much.

@Adrian_Joachim
If the system is powering itself off, that is low level stuff that is probably not fixable in the Linux kernel. It might be fixable in the BIOS in which case, only AMD can diagnose and fix it.
Some BIOSes can do the following, I don’t know if the FW16 BIOS can.
Can you disable C-States and PCI power save modes, ASPM, in the BIOS and try again?
Can you disable PCIe speeds above Gen3 in the BIOS and try again?
Can you select something along the lines of “return BIOS settings to factory defaults” and try again?

Agreed, same conclusion here.

Also same conclusion, pretty sure it’s not just bios but in the agesa which only amd can mess with. Looking forward to opensil.

I can but I am not going to do that, especially since most of them are excluded by the thunderbolt case. A be200 is 20 bucks, you can test it yourself if you want.

I will wait for my FW16 and then have a play with the BE200.
Maybe I can coax MCE to tell us why it shutdown.

1 Like

Is there a setting in the BIOS to disable Wifi and Bluetooth?
If you disable that in the BIOS, does the FW16 boot into an OS with the BE200 card installed?

Mine is working great in my 12th gen Intel FW13, however still waiting on my wifi7 APs, so only running on a Wifi6 network so far.

This is on an AMD based system FW doesn’t make intel FW16s…yet…not that I would buy one…not a fan of Intels recent roadmap…not good for VMs or TRUE Multitasking…

This report doesn’t sound promising either.

@Adrian_Joachim
Another thing to try in linux, is blacklist the iwlwifi driver, reboot and then try it in the thunderbolt dock again.
Add a file:
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-wifi.conf
Put the single line in the file:
blacklist iwlwifi
then reboot without the card installed, and then hot plug it into the dock.
This will tell us if it is the driver triggering the power off, or something more low level than that.

I highly doubt that’ll do anything but I might test it next week.

Hey there! Just an update regarding the Qualcomm NCM865 network adapter with Windows. It works wonderfully for me! I haven’t had any issues regarding connection dropouts related to laptop configuration. It does not appear that HBS (High band simultaneous) is working within Windows 11 though. After a quick search it appears that this feature will be released with Windows 11 24H2, but it is currently available in the Canary development channel of the Windows Insider Program.

I re-installed windows onto my system when I got it, with a USB containing the file MSI released for the WiFi card drivers (Have to see if there are any from Qualcomm somewhere.) After setting everything up and installing the drivers (framework driver pack, and then the MSI drivers,) I was able to go online and run a local network speed test with OpenSpeedTest. I was pulling about 800 mbps down and 700 mbps up on a Ubiquiti WiFi 7 pro AP (1 gig uplink into dream machine switch, I hear the switching capacity on the dream machine itself struggles to get past 1 gig switching.)

I can re-test the configuration once I get settled into my new place and install a better switch between my Dream Machine and Ubiquiti 6E Enterprise Access point.

1 Like

yeah, I am running one in my Alienware M15 currently got it a week ago and figured I would test it in that AMD system (its a 5000 series with a RTX3070M) it works great in both my set up
(Unifi U6 LR+ and a U6+ and my Dream Router and a u6-mesh out in my shed.
and my father’s set up a Dream Router 3x u6 pros.

I wish they had 6ghz in a non-enterprise…

it seems to transition just fine and is almost always pegged at full speed per windows compared to my XPS 15. Haven’t done proper speed tests yet will do that when I get my framework hopefully next week.

Im debating trying to get my hands on the cannery but probably will be patient and wait till beta gets 24H2

1 Like

I believe you need to have a WiFi 7 AP to really get the most benefit out of the HBS feature. I don’t think I’ll be updating to the canary builds to test it at the moment, but maybe if I get a wifi 7 AP I can test it out.

Darn I was hoping it would work with WiFi 6 but naturally they have to make it harder to reach :rofl:. Oh well. As long as the aps pull 21 watts I probably won’t upgrade till WiFi 7 pro v2 or what ever it’s called where they can lower the power. But I would need a 2.5 gb switch too to be able to enjoy it anyways. :sob:.

I was thinking about cannery/dev build for other reasons too. I like to play with the new up and coming features. But will probably wait till 11 beta upgrades to 24h2.

That’s already a problem with wifi6, the ax210 and a 50$ 5ghz wifi6 ap already exceed 1Gbit on a 160mhz wide 5ghz link, at least in the same room.

I am personally more looking forward to 7 for multi-band and the interrupted band stuff but pretty sure I’ll be on wifi6 for a while. There have not been cheap openwrt capable 160mhz wifi6 aps for that long and it’ll probably take a lot longer for the wifi7 versions to show up and be supported.