Intermittent Connectivity Issues with Accell USB 3.0 Universal Docking Station on Framework Laptop + Hardware Troubleshooting Challengesstation

Hello Framework Community,

I’m experiencing intermittent connectivity issues with my Framework Laptop when trying to connect to an Accell USB 3.0 Universal Docking Station (Model: K172B-002B). The docking station supports dual video output via HDMI and DisplayPort, 4K UHD, Gigabit Ethernet, audio, and three USB 3.0 ports, and is compatible with both Windows and Mac.

System Details:

• OS: Windows 11 Enterprise (Version 10.0.22631, Build 22631)
  • System Manufacturer: Framework
  • Model: Laptop
  • Processor: Intel64 Family 6 Model 140 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~2995 Mhz
  • BIOS Version: INSYDE Corp. 03.19, 5/29/2023

Issue: The docking station only connects to my Framework Laptop intermittently. On some days, it connects successfully, but on most days, the USB connection fails entirely. When the connection fails, the laptop does not recognize any of the USB devices connected through the docking station, and no video output is detected.

Interestingly, I have another Dell laptop that always connects to the docking station without any issues, making me suspect that the problem might be specific to my Framework Laptop.

Additional Troubleshooting Details:

• Screw Issue: I attempted to open up the laptop to check for any loose internal connections, but I encountered a problem. One of the screws refuses to come out—it just keeps spinning without loosening. This prevented me from inspecting the internal components to see if there might be a loose connection affecting the USB ports.
  • USB-C Ports: I’ve tried connecting the docking station to different USB-C ports on the laptop, but the issue persists regardless of which port is used.

Steps Taken So Far:

1. Verified that the docking station is receiving power.
  2. Connected the docking station to a Dell laptop, which works flawlessly every time.
  3. Checked for driver updates for both the docking station and the Framework Laptop, including USB and video drivers.
  4. Updated the BIOS to the latest version available (INSYDE Corp. 03.19, 5/29/2023).
  5. Restarted the laptop with the docking station connected, which sometimes resolves the issue temporarily.

Questions:

1. Driver Updates: Could this issue be related to outdated or incompatible drivers on my Framework Laptop? If so, which drivers should I focus on updating (e.g., USB, chipset, or video drivers)?
  2. Possible Causes: What could be causing this intermittent connection issue? Is it possible that there’s a compatibility problem between the docking station and the Framework Laptop, or could it be a hardware issue with the USB ports?
  3. Screw Removal: Does anyone have tips for removing a screw that just spins and won’t come out? I’m concerned that I won’t be able to check for loose connections until I can open the laptop.
  4. Troubleshooting Tips: Are there any specific troubleshooting steps or settings adjustments that might help improve the connection stability?

I’m hoping someone in the community has encountered a similar issue or has suggestions on how to resolve this. Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Best regards,
Concerned member