Intermittent failure to mount / in Arch

I installed Arch yesterday, and sometimes it boots without issue, and sometimes it fails.
When it fails, I get the following:

:: running early hook [udev]
Starting systemd-udevd version 255.7-1-arch
:: running hook [udev]
:: Triggering uevents...
:: running hook [keymap]
:: Loading keymap...done.
Waiting 10 seconds for device /dev/nvme0n1p3 ...
Waiting 10 seconds for device /dev/nvme0n1p3 ...
ERROR: device '/dev/nvme0n1p3' not found.  Skipping fsck.
:: mounting '/dev/nvme0n1p3' on real root
mount: /new_root: fsconfig system call failed: /dev/nvme0n1p3: Can't lookup blockdev
            dmesg(1) may have more information after failed mount system call.
ERROR: Failed to mount '/dev/nvme0n1p3' on real root
You are now being dropped into an emergency shell.
sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
[rootfs ~]# 

I have two NVME drives; nvme0n1 has three partitions: p1 is EFI boot, p2 is a swap, and p3 is root ext4. Nvme1n1 is a single ext4 partition for /home.

My /etc/fstab file looks correct now, but I did have to manually fix it after initial installation using the arch ISO because the device identifiers seemed to switch (nvme0n1 was originally the drive with the single partition, and nvme1n1 was the drive with three partitions on the first boot, but the block device identifiers switched on subsequent boots).

When I get the error on boot now I can launch into the Framework UEFI Boot Manager and select the Arch Linux boot, and it works fine. Rebooting the machine or starting from powered off works sometimes, and sometimes generates the error above.

Any suggestions for what might be going wrong here?

First, what bios version are you on?

BIOS Version is IFGP6.03.03

Maybe try using the uuid of the partition in the fstab rather than the device path? I ran into something similar with my efi partition and making that change resolved it. Best of luck.

Good thought, but I just checked and fstab is using the UUID already.

What bootloader are you using? Can you post the fstab and the command line?

I used efibootmgr.

I appreciate the help, but I wound up reformatting last night for unrelated reasons. I’ll post back here if I continue to have problems. If the problem does wind up persisting, I suspect that the reformat will help narrow down potential causes significantly.

1 Like