Introducing the Framework Laptop 16

While it is true that desktop grade gpu’s offer more performance but seeing as the thunderbolt 3/4 limitation is pcie x4 I would argue that the performance wouldn’t be that much more. I don’t think it’d be worth the 300 to 400 dollars extra for the external GPU enclosure and the additional GPU you would have to purchase.

The Dell G-series I used to look pretty forward to, as they are pretty low-key.
They are still low-key, compared to regular gaming laptops like RoG or Legion, but they start to show “flamboyant sticking-out pieces”.

Will the Intel version be Raptor Lake or Meteor Lake?

Hi Christopher and welcome to the forum

It has been stated and repeated that specs will be available soon. You may want to watch some videos etc. for info

Search this topic for [specs] too

@amoun Ok, I see. Thanks for your reply

1 Like

And

and

Despite the ‘Raptor Lake’ 13th generation producing some of the best processors we’ve ever seen, there are concerns that Meteor Lake will see smaller generational improvements.
Intel claims its 3nm CPUs are not delayed, will land in 2024 | TechRadar
The Meteor Lake 3nm won’t be out till 2024

and

Intel plans to launch 14th Gen Meteor Lake CPUs in 2023 and 15th Gen Arrow Lake
https://inf.news/ne/digital/a06d1157a05006a08586e1594df3bab2.html

So it looks like the meteor lake will have a new die so a bit more main board design for 14th Meteor and 15th Arrow Lake with the 3nm bits

Really confused with small up/down arrow buttons. If we will not have option with full size up/down buttons (like Lenovo does) - I am not interested.

Unfortunately highly unlikely due to the small vertical space available for the modules (around 1-3 mm). Like even if you could get a speaker in that size, it would probably sound way worse than one of a more appropriate size that fires down.

Hi @Kelly_Wu, while I was reading through the thread I didn’t see anyone respond to this, so:

Yes, in the LTT video Linus demonstrates the trackpad can be positioned off-center (to the left or right) so it sits directly below the home keys in case a numpad is in use.

1 Like

oooooooooh what a good name idea

2 Likes

This is the real game changer for people doing demanding works on laptops. I wish it was sold in my country too.

So glad this happened even though I just bought the 14" version :joy:
This is truly needed in the power/gaming laptop space I hope it’s a great success.

Nice to see you term the 13.5" as 14 and not 13

So many downgrade it.

Mathematically anything from 13.5 to less that 14.5 in two significant figures is 14.

So yes and thank you for standing with measurement conventions, but I do stick to 13.5 not 13.4 which would be 13 :slight_smile: or 13.6 which would still be 14"

Maybe I better measure but can I do this within a tenth of an inch and it better be over as there is no 13.5 just an approximation.

13.5" is 342.9mm

Official specs

Dimensions: 297mmx 9mm x 229 Width: 13.5 in (34.3 cm)

So if it really is 34.3cm we are go for 14" but is that the overall glass size or the active area ?

According to this post the screen is
212.28 in height and 289.993 in width which gives a diagonal of 359.386614176154, so that’s a bit to play with.

Another post gives 285.5 x 191 which gives a diagonal of 343.49854439284

• Well 343.49 is over 13.5"

Update: :frowning:

Measuring the pixel d.width I get 343, which is just inder 13.5" so a 13" screen could be the better description Oops!

AH! found exact specs apparently

Width: 284.933 | Height: 189.995 >> Diagonal: 342.468851888752

Active area:: 342.469mm = a little over 13.48" so back to being a 13" screen

1 Like

I see mention of keyboard, but what about trackpad? Is that also changeable? Particularly something like the older thinkpads/elitebooks and other workbooks with physical buttons on top and bottom and pointer on the keyboard?

Kind of like this:

https://download.lenovo.com/km/media/images/HT075599/touchpad%202_20190103181341368.JPG

Or if buttons on both sides isn’t an option, then at least 1 side but flippable so we can choose if we want it on top or bottom

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Theoretically yes but I didn’t see any options currently available.

It is certainly changeable, but there isn’t a need for a different touchpad, but I am working on something haptic for a certain FW16. Will share more details once I’m allowed to by the manufacturer. (NDAs exist)

2 Likes

@Josh_Cook Sounds Exciting, looking forward to hearing more when permitted.

I completely disagree, the framework one is one of the worst I’ve ever used. I want a smaller, fixed touchpad with physical buttons if I can’t have a trackball.

1 Like

Hmm! A fixed pad with buttons, seems reasonable, however I’d prefer a fixed pad with no buttons, I always double tap etc. Surely just about everyone is used to a mobile phone with a fixed finger interface.

this is entirely the problem. Phone !== computer. far too many companies are trying to conflate the two, this is exactly where microsoft’s stupid new ‘metro’ UI came from.