Introducing the Framework Laptop 16

I don’t think it’s edible even by bacteria, and who has clean hands.
Acidity from sweat though may ‘eat’ through the case. But it’ll be fine :slight_smile:

@ZacEQWR

Thanks a lot, very interesting on the providers. The Asus flow connection takes some time which must be a pain, but it is the proof that thunderbolt 5 is possible already. My issue with it was that they used it then to connect Notebook GPUs… (strong wattage, yes, but still).

Overall, unfortunately the laptop industry has a couple of issues right now: Apple designed its revolutionary new silicon, but didn’t share with Windows obviously (so we do NOT have unified memory, higher efficiency, higher battery life, no noise, etc.). Fine. But then NVIDIA (and also AMD a bit) went for a “power through higher wattage” strategy (soo disappointing). Gamers are now stuck with quite expensive Notebook GPUs that are not on the same level as Desktop GPUs - at all (RTX 4080 with high wattage is of course still a really powerful and great option available to be honest). But I am still remembering the Pascal times… My strategy now is to grow a beard while waiting for thunderbolt 5 ;).

I have a hope now that framework may be the solution. My personal favourite would be what TronTheMiner pointed out - a diy thunderbolt 5. So thanks to framework we would not only get upgradable graphics, but also a workaround for forcing thunderbolt 5 into existence. Then this company would have solved all the “problems” solvable.

Beards grow, you don’t have to do anything, just leave the face alone, but now I’ve been hanging out so long most of my hair has departed for greener fields and I still where I was 50 years ago, but at last I’m not waiting I’ve now the skills to use what I have and make better use of it.

Of course I’ve just remembered I’m waiting for the next generation to come up with something

Time will tell what the next generation has in store

1 Like

I have DIY modded a Razer Core X more than necessary and was happy for now. Well, I was, until Framework surprised me. Now I am waiting again :).

1 Like

Just remember folks when ordering and speccing your machine to order ALL the modules you’ll think you’ll need.

Postage costs for later orders will make you cry. Get it all upfront! :wink:

3 Likes

This is the way.

1 Like

Gaming modular latop …. Great!

Will the new 16-inch screen support HDMI input? Not only output.

3 Likes

Are there any plans for a touchscreen and/or a 360 hinge?

Even though a framework tablet might not be in the card right now, this would be a great to compromise for most touchscreen users

This has been a re-occurring query and there has been no indication that either are in the pipeline, and that was for the 13.5" versions.

So are you asking if that is in the pipeline for the 16"

You may have read the specs will be out shortly and I doubt after that there is going to be any rush to do a 16" touch 360°

No harm in wishing for the stars, but asking for someone to bring them home is another issue.

3 Likes

I have some years old magnesium parts from a projector here in the tropics that develop a white crystallization on the the surface when just sitting in a box without any other chemicals present. So there is something, perhaps oxidation followed up by a fungus/bacteria working on that oxide. It is only on the surface and stops/slows when disinfected and isolated from the hot humid air.

Magnesium oxides in air and doesn’t require much to get it going. Most metals form a rust which on magnesium is a whitish power that is easily removed.

The disinfection liquid removes the rust and and chemical residue from the disinfectant coats the surface and reduces the oxidation.

It’s not an organic or biological change.

It’s not that bacteria do not use magnesium, just not enough to create an issue with solid metal.

Here are some articles on the relationship between Mg and other metals and bacteria and biological extraction thereof.

2 Likes

Love that the Framework Laptop 16 looks professional. I’ve always wanted a gaming laptop, but they’re usually sinfully ugly. :face_vomiting:

5 Likes

Cheers, I will expand my horizon on that facet! So far, I have only been looking at the casting methods.

1 Like

The reason I assumed it was organic is because of the spider web like pattern of the oxidation, similar to fungus growing inside old camera lenses.

1 Like

That’s the fastest I can find on the market, too. I think that the performance hit would be only a few percent most of the time - there are only a few applications where benchmarks show a major impact if TechPowerUp is to be believed. Seems worth the hit.

Shut up and take my money.

AI/ML development. Please validate on current Ubuntu LTS.

Intel: arc770m or higher-vram successor
Nvidia: Theoretical mobile variant of RTX 6000 Ada.

AMD has let their software stack bitrot. I don’t expect to shell out money for an AMD GPU.

A final quick point from my side: I just read that framework has connections to the ecosystem necessary for building own laptop GPU modules. In any case, to the extent that framework can influence future GPUs available, please, please lay a heavy focus on VRAM… We have all been suffering from GPUs being put out by Nvidia lately that clearly miss VRAM, clearly.

For late 2023, I would say 12gb is solid, 16gb would go into direction of futureproofing (to later being used as an EGPU). I still remember when people bought 1000 USD graphics cards and were then not allowed to use HD textures in AAA titles… I honestly believe high VRAM will also help to reduce e-waste in the future.

If we can have a slightly bigger screen and if Nvidia VRAM shortage is avoided, I don’t have anything else to say ;)…

Very likely going to be the first laptop in my life that I pre-order.

3 Likes

The “16Inch Framework laptop” looks really enticing and exciting, though I wondered, if one excitation bay on either side (big extension bay), could have been, so it would be possible to fit a slim DVD player (since I really don’t like to carry dongles), and when not needed, it could be via another extension bay, either slot in a 2.5inch Drive (Sata SSD), or the standard USB-C dual port bay (just like now).
This is just a small idea (wish, if from me.) but I’m pretty sure that there are a lot of people who don’t need a “big extension bay”. :frowning:

1 Like

what I meant by that would be a DVD player slim slot, that can also be filled with other slottable stuff: Optical disc drive - Wikipedia

1 Like